running slower in newer revisions

Having technical difficulties with Supermodel? Last-minute wardrobe malfunction? Get help here.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Re: running slower in newer revisions

Postby doteater » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:48 am

i feel like it's a good time to re-post what i wrote in a similar thread not too long ago
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1565#p15302

my cpu might be a little slower now because of those damn meltdown and spectre patches / updates but,in any case,i rarely see any of the 4 cores go above 50% usage
and similar story for the 750ti , it rarely (if at all) goes beyond 50-60%
i am currently using jiterdomer's r757 and monitoring the performance with afterburner,fwiw
but those particular instances where everything starts to crawl still happen
should i post a video ? would that be useful somehow ?

apart from that,i didn't notice a particular drop in performance in the latest revisions (740+) compared to,say,700 or even older ones
doteater

Postby karadaniano » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:36 am

sorry for the slow feedback!
i'm running the 755 R
in harley the framerate can go down to 40 fps,
in emergency call ambulance everything goes fine but in the second stage where the police cars pursuit the black van, in that ppart where you jump the bridge the framerate goes down to 40 and then goes up again, it has some hiccups but they are not as annoying as that one.
even in virtua striker (i may be wrong but this titles don'tpush the model 3 hardware as the more demanding ones) in the replay mode the framerate goes down to 45 fps.

in my opinion more ATI users with this kind of cards should report their performance in this newer revisions since it seems the problem might be related with ATI cards.

In the past i experienced something similar may it be related with this?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1138&p=9807#p9807.
this is what Ian says down there
Ian wrote:That's great news :)
Worst case, culling makes no difference, best case it throws out up to 60-70% of the geometry. Harley was creating up to 6k models, each model split by texture type, so potentially up to 10k draw calls per frame, which is extremely high.

Good news is, if culling works we might be able to use the same info to set proper near/far planes. I already prototyped something to extract the relavant z range and it seemed really promising.
karadaniano

Postby Ian » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:43 am

sure make a vid if u want
I'm more interested in people with ATI cards ..
wondering what actual frame rates people are getting
Ian

Postby Toshiko » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:59 pm

Ian wrote:What kind of frame rate do you get?

I get full speed most of the time, but there are frequent drops, and some of them are quite sharp. The fastest AMD card in existence for consumers wouldn't be enough of a performance increase to make those drops disappear, so I'd chalk it up to an AMD issue.
Toshiko

Postby doteater » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:19 am

sounds rather similar to my experience but,like i said,in my case the drops always happen in very specific games,areas or stages

and here's ECA - the latter part of stage 3 is for sure the worst (or best) example of them all
https://streamable.com/brgyy
it has always been like that,even 1 year ago etc so it's got nothing to do with the changes in more recent revisions

by the way,ian,i would like to ask you about one thing that's been bugging me forever :
is it possible to get a "real" full screen resolution somehow ? without black borders i mean
right now,the only way i found to get a "clean" video capture is to use windowed mode and then upscale it to 720,1080p etc
no matter which resolution i set for full screen mode,i always get those annoying / ugly borders (as you can see in my eca footage,you can see the geforce experience crap in the background)
thanks and feel free to hit me up if you want more footage of fps drops in other games

edit - for the sake of comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTWm0u2cKAI
doteater

Postby Ian » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:25 am

I don't own an ATI card ..
but I could comment out a few things in the code to see what is causing these massive frame drops for you
It's probably either the frame buffer emulation or possibly the contour texture emulation which is very branch heavy inside the shader
I could upload a few builds if u want to test ..

I should probably add, some of that slowdown you are seeing in ECA could be your emulated CPU speed. 50mhz is simply not fast enough for that game.

no matter which resolution i set for full screen mode,i always get those annoying / ugly borders (as you can see in my eca footage,you can see the geforce experience crap in the background)

Yeah that's odd. Probably we need to explicitly draw to those areas of the display if they aren't already been drawn to simply to set them black. I assumed this was already happening.
Ian

Postby doteater » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:03 pm

thank you for your reply,ian
i am the one with the 750ti though ; guess the first part of your response was directed @ toshiko

50mhz is simply not fast enough for that game

i have always used the default settings
i will search the forums later but in any case is it something i need to edit in the ini file or gotta set it manually in every bat ?

and,btw,another thing i noticed now by re-watching my clip is how off the speed is in eca anyway
look at the timer from 26 to 22,way too fast
it's even more apparent if you compare it to the other "real hardware" video
so from way too fast to slowdown city in a matter of seconds :x

Yeah that's odd. Probably we need to explicitly draw to those areas of the display if they aren't already been drawn to simply to set them black. I assumed this was already happening.

that would be so so bad-ass , definitely the #1 thing on my supermodel wishlist (yes,don't really care about a GUI)
doteater

Postby Bart » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:10 pm

Never use in-game timers for any kind of performance profiling. Run in a window with frame rate visible. The frame rate could be a rock solid 60fps in e.g., ECA but you’ll still see occasional slowdown if the emulated CPU frequency is too low, as Ian pointed out.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Ian » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:09 pm

doteater wrote:by the way,ian,i would like to ask you about one thing that's been bugging me forever :
is it possible to get a "real" full screen resolution somehow ? without black borders i mean
right now,the only way i found to get a "clean" video capture is to use windowed mode and then upscale it to 720,1080p etc
thanks and feel free to hit me up if you want more footage of fps drops in other games

edit - for the sake of comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTWm0u2cKAI

Try the latest version. Let me know if that fixes it. The model3 has a weird issue where the 2d and 3d layers simply don't match up. We can shift them to correct this problem, but that leaves some junk around the edges. I explicitly scissor this area out so that it's not drawn to, which leaves a nice even border around the edge. On the real model3, it would be using a CRT. And CRT always overscan, so the edge of the picture basically disappears.

Anyway this scissor was preventing glClear from clearing the scissored out parts. Translation, these pixels weren't being written to with black. Anyway they are set to black now so geforce experience stuff in the background hopefully shouldn't show through ..
Ian

Postby doteater » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:43 am

thanks a lot
will test and report back as soon as emu fr uploads r758 or 9

edit /
so i finally tried that frequency trick , tried with 57 [supermodel eca.zip -res=992,768 -fullscreen -ppc-frequency=57]
and definitely noted an improvement
the game no longers crawls in that specific point in stage 1 but the slowdown in stage 3 still isn't fully eliminated
i guess people already experimented with various frequencies so if a general consensus exists on which to use for the various games..i'm all ears
i will still experiment a little by myself though :ugeek:
doteater

PreviousNext

Return to The Fitting Room