Sega Rally 2 audio

Having technical difficulties with Supermodel? Last-minute wardrobe malfunction? Get help here.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Sega Rally 2 audio

Postby Toshiko » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:43 pm

Despite being quite conspicuous, I'd wondered why I haven't seen this topic broached at all so far; this actually makes me wonder if I'm the only one experiencing this, though I doubt it. Whenever Sega Rally 2 calls the song Go Go! Sega Rally to be played (attract mode, Riviera), it simultaneously plays the song MNF. Is this a known thing? Is there any speculation as to the cause?

SR2 may be one of the graphically less accurately emulated games, but it's the only one I've noticed any profound sound emulation discrepancy on, which is why it's puzzled me for years. Mostly because I never see anyone else comment on it.

At this point, it's only curiosity that has me ask the question. I wouldn't be profoundly affected whether the issue were resolved or unresolved, I'm just curious if anyone else has this experience and if the issue is known. Or maybe I'm the only SR2 fan around to notice.
Toshiko

Re: Sega Rally 2 audio

Postby Bart » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:08 pm

I've noticed it as well but I never had a change to investigate the cause. It's probably something to do with timing and IRQs.
Bart
Site Admin

Re: Sega Rally 2 audio

Postby TheRealDise » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:01 am

Toshiko wrote:Despite being quite conspicuous, I'd wondered why I haven't seen this topic broached at all so far; this actually makes me wonder if I'm the only one experiencing this, though I doubt it. Whenever Sega Rally 2 calls the song Go Go! Sega Rally to be played (attract mode, Riviera), it simultaneously plays the song MNF. Is this a known thing? Is there any speculation as to the cause?

SR2 may be one of the graphically less accurately emulated games, but it's the only one I've noticed any profound sound emulation discrepancy on, which is why it's puzzled me for years. Mostly because I never see anyone else comment on it.

At this point, it's only curiosity that has me ask the question. I wouldn't be profoundly affected whether the issue was resolved or unresolved, I'm just curious if anyone else has this experience and if the issue is known. Or maybe I'm the only SR2 fan around to notice.

This problem is fixed in the latest SVN, but I do know why this problem existed.
There is a file in the srally2 zip file that contains 'GO GO Sega Rally' and 'MNF' tracks. 'GO GO Sega Rally' plays in the left speaker/channel, while 'MNF' plays on the right. The real machine separates the 2 channels and plays the track it's supposed to play in left and right channels/speakers. Supermodel didn't separate those 2 channels.
Code: Select all
I'm a DJ and I make music too. And I love games.

My alias: Dise; DJ paraDISE
TheRealDise

Return to The Fitting Room