2d fog

Having technical difficulties with Supermodel? Last-minute wardrobe malfunction? Get help here.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

2d fog

Postby Ian » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:51 pm

Feature request? Not really looked at the 2d code, but it should be pretty easy to add? It would fix a bunch of missing FX for games, vf3, ocean hunter, lost world .. etc ? :)
Ian

Re: 2d fog

Postby Bart » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:59 am

Should be easy to add if we know how it works. What I find strange about this feature is that there is already a 2D color offset register that adds an RGB value to an entire layer. It's used for fade-in/fade-out effects, such as Lost World's 'Sega' screen and the lightning flashes during the introductory sequence.

How do you think it ought to be added? I can give it a go. My source tree is in a state of disrepair as I am trying to incorporate a newer config system, and thus have had to touch a lot of files. But I can probably clean that up soon.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby ConversusVans » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:15 pm

Ian wrote:Feature request? Not really looked at the 2d code, but it should be pretty easy to add? It would fix a bunch of missing FX for games, vf3, ocean hunter, lost world .. etc ? :)

Harley has a pretty noticeable one once you insert coins, where the screen blinks white three times and then fades out. :)
- Conversus W. Vans (Paul)
ConversusVans

Postby Ian » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:15 am

According to the mame source code there are 2 colour values for the 2d layers

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/ma ... 3.cpp#L458

One for the background layer, and one for foreground. Could the background one be fog?
Ian

Return to The Fitting Room