Severely low FPS issue

Having technical difficulties with Supermodel? Last-minute wardrobe malfunction? Get help here.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Severely low FPS issue

Postby zergslayer69 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:07 pm

Hey guys, wondering if anyone has ran into this problem before. Previously ran the latest version of supermodel on my Alienware 17 laptop (latest model with the 6820HK cpu and Geforce 1080) and it worked like a beauty. I copied the files over to another laptop, the Acer Predator with the 6700HQ and geforce 1070 and now the emulator is crawling at 2-5fps in all games. Both supermodel UI and the command prompt method produces the same results. I did check that my CPU is clocking in at 3.3ghz so I'm not being capped or anything. Is there some sort of windows install (like visual studio, or those sort of things) that supermodel requires since this Acer is a new system fresh out of the box?
zergslayer69

Re: Severely low FPS issue

Postby Bart » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:33 pm

zergslayer69 wrote:Hey guys, wondering if anyone has ran into this problem before. Previously ran the latest version of supermodel on my Alienware 17 laptop (latest model with the 6820HK cpu and Geforce 1080) and it worked like a beauty. I copied the files over to another laptop, the Acer Predator with the 6700HQ and geforce 1070 and now the emulator is crawling at 2-5fps in all games. Both supermodel UI and the command prompt method produces the same results. I did check that my CPU is clocking in at 3.3ghz so I'm not being capped or anything. Is there some sort of windows install (like visual studio, or those sort of things) that supermodel requires since this Acer is a new system fresh out of the box?

That's really bizarre. I've never heard of this happening. There is no installation procedure for Supermodel, it should just run. Can you paste your error.log file?
Bart
Site Admin

Postby zergslayer69 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:03 pm

So looks like I solved the issue. Maybe I should've mentioned that I was using supermodel UI. Not sure if that matters. Anyways it's a super simple fix. The original problem was when running star wars trilogy, it usually complains about some lever which I have to turn off in the test menu but navigating through it was incredibly slow. Turns out I didn't specify the rom path. (Although I don't know why that would disappear when using a new computer). Once the path was set, everything ran like normal again.

Seems really obvious after the fact, but then again aren't a lot of problems usually like that?
zergslayer69

Postby Bart » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:09 am

So the game wasn't slow but the menu was. The menu is known to be buggy in older versions of Supermodel (and still may be; I haven't checked in a while). Sounds like the backup RAM file wasn't being saved and restored, forcing you to go through the menu procedure each time.

I really need to find time this summer to write a native GUI for Supermodel so people can ditch these third party UIs.
Bart
Site Admin

Return to The Fitting Room