Critical Ocean Hunter issue

Having technical difficulties with Supermodel? Last-minute wardrobe malfunction? Get help here.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Re: Critical Ocean Hunter issue

Postby Ian » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:01 pm

sure :)
Ian

Postby Ian » Sun May 07, 2017 2:31 am

HarryTuttle wrote:Here they are, consider that not all elements are rendered in the same viewport (last time I checked), I've evidentiated the most relevant ones. Most of the building in the background are fixed-shaded with/without translator map enabled.

Left: arcade, Right: Supermodel
lam01.jpeg

lam02.jpeg

lam03.jpeg

There's also the Lion statue case, here (http://www.supermodel3.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1350&start=40#p11761) I've posted an hacked sample with altered sun vectors to make it work but the problem is there too.

I had a look at this one. The ambient value is set as 1, so the models are 100% lit by specular
Ian

Postby HarryTuttle » Sun May 07, 2017 12:05 pm

The correct sun vector seems to be specified elsewhere, probably in another viewport. A problem similar, I think, to scroll fog values. Which one is the correct one?

There are some viewports without models that have lightning and/or fog parameters specified.

So I took a look at "viewport select" 2 bits. From the product description, page 24 (emphasis by me):
DEFINITION OF VIEWPORT
A viewport is a rectangular area of the screen. As many viewports as desired can be
processed, subject to the processing resources of the system. Processing statistics are
returned for four viewports as selected by the user
. The viewports are processed
sequentially. As a practical limit, four viewports can be opened in each display channel,
and they can overlap. The priority of each viewport may be defined. Viewport priority
ranges from 0 to 3. If the viewport priority of multiple viewports are the same and the
viewports overlap, the polygons will merge and become one scene in the overlapping
areas.

At first I thought that a viewport can have lightning or fog parameters "copied" from another one. But I didn't succeed at making something useful. Maybe that viewport-select bits are just a "helper" useful to switch to a different object LOD and keep framerate constant.
HarryTuttle

Postby Ian » Sun May 07, 2017 2:07 pm

The select bits I parsed out of the viewport data was definitely related to which viewport the scroll fog was specified in.
The la machine guns scene from the screenshots you made, I'm pretty sure there were only 2 viewports specified for that scene. I think the 2nd one was empty . Will have to double check
Ian

Postby HarryTuttle » Sun May 07, 2017 3:54 pm

Ian wrote:The select bits I parsed out of the viewport data was definitely related to which viewport the scroll fog was specified in.

The select bits are also specified in many other non scroll fog related situations (for example in the secret test menu in Scud).

Weeks ago I changed, just to test, the "DrawScrollFog" function in New3D.cpp to behave like you suggested, but if I recall there was still a problem in Daytona2 BOTE advanced level when you see the castle and the full moon in the horizon: part of the background was white.

In the next days I'll post some screenshots of situation I used as test cases. You may find them useful if you want to work on it.
HarryTuttle

Postby Ian » Sun May 07, 2017 4:31 pm

I think the castle bug showed up on the power edition. But it seemed to work with my new attempt at least
Ian

Postby HarryTuttle » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:21 pm

HarryTuttle wrote:In the next days I'll post some screenshots of situation I used as test cases. You may find them useful if you want to work on it.

Well... it's actually passed a month :P but at least I can confirm scroll fog works on almost all my test cases but one: Spikeout

Here it is:
so01.png
so01.png (177.97 KiB) Viewed 752 times

this is at the end of the intro-tutorial, here all the screen should fade to white but the sky in the background stays unfogged. If I recall my own tests in this particular case it was the last viewport in a given priority layer processed that contained the right values for background; the current function instead exits processing as soon it draws the scroll fog.

Fixing this however broke ECA, Daytona 2 and Bass...
HarryTuttle

Postby Ian » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:10 pm

My current logic should pick the last viewport, but there is still something I am missing I think
If you look at the comments in the code you'll see virtua fighter still fails in the credits if the previous round contains fogging
which puzzles me completely because the viewport data is never updated between the stages
Ian

Postby Ian » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:20 pm

I had another look at this ..
The 2nd viewport, and only the 2nd sets the scroll fog value (at least in the final edition). None of the other viewports have scroll fog values
So still something missing from the logic ..
Ian

Postby HarryTuttle » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:30 am

It works even on standard edition... :)
HarryTuttle

PreviousNext

Return to The Fitting Room