Critical Ocean Hunter issue

Having technical difficulties with Supermodel? Last-minute wardrobe malfunction? Get help here.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Critical Ocean Hunter issue

Postby MakutaMaster962 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:27 pm

Hello, everyone! My name is MakutaMaster962. I have been a very frequent annonymous guest on these forums since
Supermodel got started. And I'm quite impressed at how far things have come.

I have run into a rather serious bug while playing Ocean Hunter on Supermodel SVN 523(the most recent available build). Whenever I make it to Level 5(the North Sea), and get past the huge swarm of jellyfish, right when I encounter the level's miniboss, Medusa, the screen becomes a brownish-green color and I can't see what I'm doing. This has never happened to me in the past when playing Ocean Hunter on Supermodel, which leads me to believe that something's wrong with this particular build. I've narrowed it down in that this problem only seems to occur on the New 3d Engine on the x64 bit version of r523.

Here is a screenshot of what I'm talking about:
Ocean Hunter critical bug.png
Ocean Hunter critical bug.png (58.36 KiB) Viewed 1249 times

Hope someone can help me out with this.
MakutaMaster962

Re: Critical Ocean Hunter issue

Postby Bart » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:59 pm

MakutaMaster962 wrote:Hello, everyone! My name is MakutaMaster962. I have been a very frequent annonymous guest on these forums since
Supermodel got started. And I'm quite impressed at how far things have come.

I have run into a rather serious bug while playing Ocean Hunter on Supermodel SVN 523(the most recent available build). Whenever I make it to Level 5(the North Sea), and get past the huge swarm of jellyfish, right when I encounter the level's miniboss, Medusa, the screen becomes a brownish-green color and I can't see what I'm doing. This has never happened to me in the past when playing Ocean Hunter on Supermodel, which leads me to believe that something's wrong with this particular build. I've narrowed it down in that this problem only seems to occur on the New 3d Engine on the x64 bit version of r523.

Here is a screenshot of what I'm talking about:
Ocean Hunter critical bug.png

Hope someone can help me out with this.

Interesting. Thanks for narrowing it down to the build number. It looks like this is when Ian introduced a fix for quad backface culling. I wonder if some giant quad is obscuring the screen that would previously have been culled away. Can you produce a save state just prior to this point in the game?
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Ian » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:12 am

A save state would help a lot
If it is a regression testing previous versions would also help a lot
Ian

Postby MakutaMaster962 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:54 am

Ok, then. Here is a link to a save state that I made earlier:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yld4dkmy821rp ... e.rar?dl=0

Also, after a bit more research, I found out that this issue started sometime after SVN build 514 was created, since the next available build after that, which was r520, is the one where the bug started. Sorry for not pointing this out before.
MakutaMaster962

Postby Ian » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:30 am

I had a quick look at this (supposed to be working :))
The far plane came out at infinity, so I guess nothing draws. I know roughly what the error is, so shouldn't be too hard to fix.
Ian

Postby Ian » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:37 pm

Well .. I found the issue. Not sure how to fix
The matrix for the some of the polys is bad. Unfortunately this blows up my near/far plane calculations.
I could probably hack it with some sort of detection for this ..

Ian

Postby MakutaMaster962 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:15 pm

Ian wrote:Well .. I found the issue. Not sure how to fix
The matrix for the some of the polys is bad. Unfortunately this blows up my near/far plane calculations.
I could probably hack it with some sort of detection for this ..

:? Well I am glad that you found out what was wrong. But if you're not sure how to fix this issue like you said, then I'm guessing that's pretty bad news. What should I do in the meantime? Should I just wait for the next available SVN build to be compiled?
MakutaMaster962

Postby Ian » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:17 pm

Well the issue doesn't show up on the legacy renderer. You can always make a save state and swap, then continue playing :p
Ian

Postby MakutaMaster962 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:47 am

Ian wrote:Well the issue doesn't show up on the legacy renderer. You can always make a save state and swap, then continue playing :p

I actually tried switching between the two engines while playing a little while ago, but unfortunately, it didn't work. :(
MakutaMaster962

Postby Ian » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:52 am

It should definitely work.
Ian

Next

Return to The Fitting Room