cannot use dedicated gpu in win 8.1

Having technical difficulties with Supermodel? Last-minute wardrobe malfunction? Get help here.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

cannot use dedicated gpu in win 8.1

Postby doteater » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:48 pm

that's pretty much the reason why i decided to stop lurking and create an account
took me a while to start this thread but long story short :

2 semi-shitty laptops,both i3 + low end invidia gpus
one is older and runs win 7 and the other is slightly more recent and uses win 8
everything's fine on win 7 but supermodel is the only emulator or game that won't work with the dedicated gpu on win 8
no matter what i do or try,it only ever uses the integrated graphics
this problem has been there since i started using supermodel (around r430-440 or so)
pretty frustrating because i can get around 45/50/55 fps in most games and could really use the extra boost in performance
(the end goal is to be able to record videos etc)

i don't use a front-end,i can post the content of the bat file but it's pretty basic so that shouldn't be the cause of the issue ?
i could post screenshots of the invidia menu too or whatever else may be necessary

anyone else ever had this issue ?
doteater

Re: cannot use dedicated gpu in win 8.1

Postby Ian » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:50 am

Your laptop actually got 2 graphics cards? Can you disable the onboard one in the bios or disable the driver for it or something?
Ian

Postby doteater » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:07 pm

hmm,isn't that pretty standard ?
the horrible integrated gpu and the slightly less horrible dedicated one (or good dedicated one if your laptop isn't crappy like mine) ?

anyway,yeah,i have tried everything i can think of but i am definitely no expert
tampered with the menus and the options endlessly,renamed the supermodel.exe,placed the exe in a new folder in a different location,clean "install",etc etc

the nvidia manager thingy seems to remove supermodel.exe from the list of programs as soon as i close the window
i will post a few screenshots later,just for kicks

honestly,i was hoping other people had encountered a similar bug
doteater

Postby Ian » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:08 am

I've been using a desktop with a dedicated GPU for years. I've never actually even owned a laptop. My current skylake build from what I can see, if you add in a 'external' GPU the onboard one is simply disabled by the bios or whatever.

How do you know supermodel is using the onboard GPU? I know that laptops often can't deliver full performance with GPUs because the amount of power they draw is more than the battery can safely delivery so are throttled in that respect. There is also thermal throttling that can happen. Both of these can devastate performance. Plug your laptop into the mains and it can deliver full power, might help !

https://superuser.com/questions/855372/ ... h-p/855852
Ian

Postby Kacperas » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:39 am

I've been using several laptops in the past and never encountered a similar issue. First of all, could you install latest NVIDIA drivers and select clean install during installation? After it, could you check, if issue still appears?
Moreover, you can add "Run with graphics processor" option to Context Menu using NVIDIA Control Panel, so you could force Windows to use dedicated GPU with selected apps.
Attachments
Nvidia.png
NVIDIA Control Panel
Nvidia.png (10.81 KiB) Viewed 483 times
Kacperas

Postby Toshiko » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:54 pm

I'm probably not contributing much to the conversation with this, but just to counter the surprise: I've owned 9 laptops from 486 to i5 and workstations in between, and none have had available both integrated and discreet graphics. I honestly was not aware of any laptop that wasn't a garage project Frankenstein machine that had both available. Laptops are usually very purpose-built, either for budget, office, gaming, or workstation, and offer very little in terms of redundancy, especially when it comes to video. Having two hardware video options with their own drivers and performance scenarios has to be the oddball.
Toshiko

Postby CharlieRam » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:30 am

I'm assuming the integrated graphics will be the HD variant in the i3 processor and the dedicated will be standard onboard the motherboard so neither are really dedicated graphics?? Maybe?
CharlieRam

Postby Boomslangnz » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:56 am

My laptop has integrated and nvidia

I simply went to nvidia control panel and added supermodel with nvidia as the preferred device
Boomslangnz

Return to The Fitting Room