"Access is denied"

Having technical difficulties with Supermodel? Last-minute wardrobe malfunction? Get help here.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

"Access is denied"

Postby RedTail » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:49 am

Using your tutorial, I was able to get Supermodel to run Scud Race Plus several hours ago. I wanted to run it again and try to configure controls this time, but I can't even get the emulator to run now. When I get to Step 5 in your tutorial, "Simply type Supermodel and press enter to run the program," the I get the message "Access is denied" and then Supermodel.exe disappears from directory. A command prompt screencap attached below. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Attachments
Supermodel3.png
Supermodel3.png (20.07 KiB) Viewed 306 times
RedTail

Re: "Access is denied"

Postby Bart » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:37 am

You aren't doing anything wrong. This is a bit strange. Where did you download Supermodel from?
Bart
Site Admin

Postby RedTail » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:22 am

Bart wrote:You aren't doing anything wrong. This is a bit strange. Where did you download Supermodel from?

I downloaded 0.3a SVN 617 x64 from this thread on your forum:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1206

I've tried deleting it and running it again, but it hasn't helped. I get the same message about access being denied.
RedTail

Postby Bart » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:35 am

Can you do me a favor and try downloading Supermodel 0.2a from the official page (supermodel3.com) and trying to run it. If you get the same problem, the next few things to try are:

1. Type 'whoami' in the command prompt (no quotes, obviously). What does it print?

2. Try to start Command Prompt as administrator. (Right click on Command Prompt icon, run as administrator). Does it work now?

3. Do you have any third party firewall or antivirus software installed?

4. Have permissions on the file changed? Right click on Supermodel.exe in Windows Explorer, go to Properties, and then look at the Security tab.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby RedTail » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:48 am

Bart wrote:Can you do me a favor and try downloading Supermodel 0.2a from the official page (supermodel3.com) and trying to run it. If you get the same problem, the next few things to try are:

1. Type 'whoami' in the command prompt (no quotes, obviously). What does it print?

2. Try to start Command Prompt as administrator. (Right click on Command Prompt icon, run as administrator). Does it work now?

3. Do you have any third party firewall or antivirus software installed?

4. Have permissions on the file changed? Right click on Supermodel.exe in Windows Explorer, go to Properties, and then look at the Security tab.

Okay, I feel stupid! I had Avast running in silent mode. It must be flagging Supermodel as a false positive and quarantining the executable, which is probably why it kept disappearing. When I temporarily disabled it, everything became a-okay. I'll have to create an exception for it later on. Sorry to bother you, Bart! :oops:
RedTail

Postby Bart » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:52 am

No problem.

How does Avast work? Is it a firewall (in which case it shouldn't be tripped up by Supermodel because no connections are ever opened) or does it also act as an antivirus tool?
Bart
Site Admin

Postby RedTail » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:59 am

Bart wrote:No problem.

How does Avast work? Is it a firewall (in which case it shouldn't be tripped up by Supermodel because no connections are ever opened) or does it also act as an antivirus tool?

Its an antivirus program. It's apparently recognizing Supermodel.exe as malware.
RedTail

Postby Bart » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:02 pm

RedTail wrote:

Its an antivirus program. It's apparently recognizing Supermodel.exe as malware.

Hmm. That's odd. I wonder what it doesn't like. Can you confirm that it also behaves the same way with regards to the official 0.2a release?
Bart
Site Admin

Postby RedTail » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:15 pm

Bart wrote:
RedTail wrote:

Hmm. That's odd. I wonder what it doesn't like. Can you confirm that it also behaves the same way with regards to the official 0.2a release?

The official release doesn't get flagged. If it ever did register as a false positive, there's a pretty good chance someone reported it as such years ago.
RedTail

Postby Bart » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:20 pm

Good point. I hope that's the case. Do you mind emailing me privately so I can supply you with my own 0.3a build? I want to be sure that this is what's going on and that actual malware has not infiltrated the builds being posted by users.
Bart
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Fitting Room