Separating Joystick Axis (Brakes and Accel)

Having technical difficulties with Supermodel? Last-minute wardrobe malfunction? Get help here.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Separating Joystick Axis (Brakes and Accel)

Postby ConversusVans » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:51 pm

Hey everyone. I recently got a Thrustmaster Freestyler Bike controller to use with Harley LA Riders on Supermodel.
This controller is pretty old, so I haven't found much info on how to tweak it except for an old "Thrustmapper" profiler.

The steering is assigned to either the Z or X-axis (depending on which switch is set on the bike). But the accelerator and brakes are both Y-axis. This is difficult for slowing down the bike in Harley (and doing burnouts, for fun :P).
I've tried changing things in vJoy (I'm new to using it) and Universal Joystick Remapper but no luck. I haven't tried PPJoy, but I would like to assign a totally different axis to the controller's brake. Otherwise, the game handles really well with it! I feel like I'm driving the bike. :)

Thanks in advance!
- Conversus W. Vans (Paul)
ConversusVans

Re: Separating Joystick Axis (Brakes and Accel)

Postby Nickie » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:37 am

yeah i second that, the possibility of using half-axis would allow lots of controller customization , especially with analog triggers that report on the same axis (Z)
Nickie

Postby ConversusVans » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:06 pm

Nickie wrote:yeah i second that, the possibility of using half-axis would allow lots of controller customization , especially with analog triggers that report on the same axis (Z)

Yeah, I'm trying to see if I can still fix this. Do you have a workaround?
I do have it working pretty fine with Wave Runner and Motor Raid on the Nebula M2 Emulator after a little calibration in the config bar, though. Heck, it even handles well with Arctic Thunder on PCSX2 and old PC games like Moto Racer. :D
ConversusVans

Postby Spindizzi » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:28 am

and with x360ce ? My mind it should be easy to reassign axis even if they share the same axis. but physically impossible to brake and accellerate in the same time, of course
otherwise I don't know if it helps, you can use the axis name _neg (negative) and _pos (positive), ie JOY1_ZAXIS_NEG and JOY1_ZAXIS_POS
to find your axis name use the switch -config-inputs
Spindizzi

Postby ConversusVans » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:31 am

Spindizzi wrote:and with x360ce ? My mind it should be easy to reassign axis even if they share the same axis. but physically impossible to brake and accellerate in the same time, of course
otherwise I don't know if it helps, you can use the axis name _neg (negative) and _pos (positive), ie JOY1_ZAXIS_NEG and JOY1_ZAXIS_POS
to find your axis name use the switch -config-inputs

Similar situation with my bike wheel; I have the analog controls on my Supermodel config file as JOY1_YAXIS_POS (or NEG) depending on control. If all else fails, I could digitally set one of the right buttons as a brake, as it has so many buttons it's not funny. Being able to steer with actual handlebars and accelerate without skidding is awesome to me, and this Freestyler gets the job done decently. I hope Logitech or Thrustmaster can make a new bike controller, eventually, though there's no market for them ATM.
ConversusVans

Postby ConversusVans » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:01 pm

Come to think of it, after seeing a video of somebody separating Xbox 360 controller Z-triggers to a seperate Joystick ID in VJOY but physically on the same axis, I'm thinking that will work. I just have to make sure I assign the brakes to Joy 2 and I'm set. I'll try doing that.
ConversusVans

Return to The Fitting Room