Advice on boosting FPS?

Having technical difficulties with Supermodel? Last-minute wardrobe malfunction? Get help here.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Advice on boosting FPS?

Postby TomyJimenez750 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:41 pm

Hello, this is my first thread and I do not talk in english very often so pardon my grammar in advance :oops:

So, the thing that it has been in my mind in the past 6 years my objective were trying to make my notebook finally run supermodel at 60 FPS. And I failed constantly.
I tried many different ways to boost my computer, tried with the Fragment_NoSpotlight.glsl and Fragment_Flat.glsl, I even went and open my notebook and cleaned it everything and STILL i couldn't make it work.

The best performance were 40~45 FPS but with big drops to 25 FPS sometimes while I play. Only in the menu (in Scud Race) runs at 60 FPS.

Does anyone have an advice on how to boost the FPS even more? :mrgreen:

These are the specs of my sistem... Well, I think so, I don't know very well the names so I hope these could help to let you guys know...

Thanks in advance!!!!
Helpme please :(

This was meant to be a picture, but even my signature doesn't work.
TomyJimenez750

Re: Advice on boosting FPS?

Postby Bart » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:20 am

I'm afraid nothing more can be done. You'll just need a faster laptop. I'm pretty sure any modern laptop within the last few years should run even the new 3D engine just fine. If we replaced the CPU emulator with a dynamic recompiler, it would have a noticeable improvement on the frame rate but since you already get 60FPS in the menus, it would not eliminate all of your problems, which are at least partly caused by the GPU.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Ian » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:04 am

Follow this guide -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
It will help with your frame rate
Ian

Postby Bart » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:06 am

You got me! :lol:
Bart
Site Admin

Postby TomyJimenez750 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:22 pm

Bart wrote:I'm afraid nothing more can be done. You'll just need a faster laptop. I'm pretty sure any modern laptop within the last few years should run even the new 3D engine just fine. If we replaced the CPU emulator with a dynamic recompiler, it would have a noticeable improvement on the frame rate but since you already get 60FPS in the menus, it would not eliminate all of your problems, which are at least partly caused by the GPU.

I knew it was the end for this notebook :lol: Thanks so much!

TomyJimenez750

Postby TomyJimenez750 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:23 pm

Ian wrote:Follow this guide -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
It will help with your frame rate

how do i upvote this comment

TomyJimenez750

Postby Bart » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:01 am

When I started the Supermodel rewrite (ca. December 2010), I was running an AMD-based laptop and getting only 15 FPS :) It wasn't until after v0.1a was released that I got to upgrade to a desktop that could run it at full speed.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby scd » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:58 pm

try to turn the music off and play with the ppc (to me 27 work fine on a low pc). choose also "time attack" mode or "time lap" since there are no other cars in this mode so the pc can run it easily (english isnt my native too so i may not understand some words here and there).
scd

Postby TomyJimenez750 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:14 pm

scd wrote:try to turn the music off and play with the ppc (to me 27 work fine on a low pc). choose also "time attack" mode or "time lap" since there are no other cars in this mode so the pc can run it easily (english isnt my native too so i may not understand some words here and there).

Yeah I started doing that except in Scud Race, dunno how there I can play with the AI :mrgreen:
I will try 27, thanks!

TomyJimenez750

Postby scd » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:15 am

to choose time lap (from ign site): "While selecting your transmission at the Transmission Selection screen, hold down the START button until the race starts. Note: The code is confirmed if you see a "TIME LAP MODE" on the screen at the Transmission Selection Screen."
scd

Next

Return to The Fitting Room