Musics sound compressed, why?

Having technical difficulties with Supermodel? Last-minute wardrobe malfunction? Get help here.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Musics sound compressed, why?

Postby RaptorZX3 » Wed May 02, 2018 4:55 am

I'm still wondering, with the newest SVNs of the Supermodel3 emulator, the musics just sound compressed. In older SVNs, it didn't sound compressed, it sounded good!

So what happened exactly? coding problems? sound emulation not as accurate for now?

I would like to know what's happening with this, because i'm sure many peoples around here noticed the audio/music degradation/compression that wasn't present in older (R250 something) SVNs/builds
RaptorZX3

Re: Musics sound compressed, why?

Postby xbrunox » Thu May 03, 2018 10:15 pm

some problem here! i've notice difference from svn722 to svn725 (-stretch option is great!)
xbrunox

Postby Bart » Fri May 04, 2018 9:06 am

There were no changes that I'm aware of in the audio code. Can you make two recordings (using some sort of audio/video capture software), preferably from the sound test menu, and share them? I suspect it's a compiler issue. I use gcc and haven't noticed anything.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Bart » Fri May 04, 2018 9:06 am

xbrunox wrote:some problem here! i've notice difference from svn722 to svn725 (-stretch option is great!)

I still don't understand why people wanted this option. It distorts the aspect ratio.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby xbrunox » Fri May 04, 2018 9:49 am

No Bart

I use supermodel on an old 15 Khz CRT monitor.
the maximum progressive frequency that it supports is 288 vertical lines at a refresh of 52 Fps. beyond the 288 vertical lines the resolution becomes interlaced and therefore with flicker.

to avoid this thing I use only progressive resolutions on the monitor and not higher than 240 vertical lines, so you can have 60Fps.
horizontally instead imposed a resolution of 640 lines, so as to display in 640x240.

if I had the image at 640x240 digitized at the supermodel before the stretch option I would get a crushed image, but now I get a correct image in 4: 3. that's why this feature is great!
the function I think you came from GHO, author of dxwnd, with whom I discussed a lot of this thing!
xbrunox

Postby Bart » Fri May 04, 2018 11:52 am

Model 3 has 384 visible lines. At 240 or 288 lines, you are missing a significant chunk of the display. Surely there must be a medium or high resolution CRT you can use instead?
Bart
Site Admin

Postby xbrunox » Fri May 04, 2018 12:18 pm

hello bart.
I know the resolution of the model 3. unfortunately, however, if you want to have a multi-emulator cab you have to compromise. for the ideal model 3 would be a monitor at 25khz But would natively support only the games model2 and model 3 .. for the naomi would need a monitor at 31khz ... and then you would have a resolution too high for many classics supported by mame. that's why I opted for a 15 khz monitor that allows me to run almost all the roms of the mame natively and then i run model2 model3 and demul at 640x240. ideal would be to have a multi-frequency monitor, but unfortunately I have not yet found one!
xbrunox

Return to The Fitting Room