minimum GPU needed for full frame rate?

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!
  • No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!
gumbyaz

minimum GPU needed for full frame rate?

Post by gumbyaz »

Any recos on what a good minimum spec would be? My arcade computer only has a ~10 year old CPU in it with Intel integrated GPU, clearly not cutting it. I would like to see if I can just pickup a GPU on the cheap that would give it enough horsepower to run at least native res at ~60 Hz, maybe even higher resolution. So of course I am curious: what does it take to run 1080P resolution?
Bart
Site Admin

Re: minimum GPU needed for full frame rate?

Post by Bart »

This is increasingly a hard question to answer. Minimum GPU specs are a moving target as the rendering engine becomes more accurate (at the expense of performance). I would say just grab a GTX 1080 or something but then saw the prices on NewEgg. Maybe a 1660? A discrete Nvidia GPU is strongly recommended in any case.
gm_matthew

Post by gm_matthew »

I'd say even a GTX 1050 should be enough. My GTX 1060 3GB runs games fast enough at 1440x1080 very comfortably.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I believe on intel gpus especially older ones the bottle neck is the fragment shader, so running at a lower resolution will help with the frame rate. Quad rendering I think has more of a hit on intel and amd especially older cards so turn off for those cards and use the triangle renderer. It's not as accurate but good enough in most cases. I think scud race looks the worst with the triangle renderer.

Buy for everyone else the bottle neck will be the cpu.
k_rollo

Post by k_rollo »

If it helps benchmarking for devs, I run 1080p/60fps on Ryzen 7 5800H without a dGPU.
gumbyaz

Post by gumbyaz »

Update: I tried finding deals on nvidia cards in the model range suggested, but in the end settled on an AMD RX570 that I was able to find NIOB for about $80.

Results: working great. Supermodel running at 1080P, 60 fps, and radeontop is reporting GPU usage in the range of 20-30%. And it looks beautiful. :D

I went back and looked at the CPU specs also just to be specific about what wasn't working on its own: it is an i3-3220. No surprise that it was a little too weak on its own.