It's posible to get and change roms textures?

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!
  • No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!
MrMario

It's posible to get and change roms textures?

Post by MrMario »

Hello, i wanna know if there is a way to get the textures of Supermodel roms (specially Daytona USA 2) to make an enhanced version of them and put it into the game.
I don't know if it's posible, but if somebody knows how to do it ¿can tell me how?
Thanks.
just another user of the supermodel emulator :D
Bart
Site Admin

Re: It's posible to get and change roms textures?

Post by Bart »

Not supported. You can export the textures from games but there is no functionality to import or alter textures. To export textures, run Supermodel with the "-dump-textures" command line argument or set DumpTextures to 1 in Supermodel.ini. Then, when you quit Supermodel, the textures currently in texture RAM will be written to BMP files. Note that this does not dump *all* textures in the game, only the ones that the game has loaded into Real3D texture RAM at the time that you exit Supermodel.
Gjay

Post by Gjay »

But he could modify the game's image, right?
Bart
Site Admin

Post by Bart »

Not easily, no. You'd have to know where they are located in the game's ROMs. Some games store them in CROM and others in VROM. The right way to do this would be to add scripting support to Supermodel, like the Model 2 emulator has, and allow texture RAM loads to be intercepted. I guess I could add Lua support at some point, although personally I detest Lua (I think it's especially poorly suited to this kind of byte-level manipulation). I'm wondering if there is a better scripting language that is as easy to integrate.