Best PPC frequency for Datona 2 PE

Having technical difficulties with Supermodel? Last-minute wardrobe malfunction? Get help here.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Best PPC frequency for Datona 2 PE

Postby dijital » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:14 am

Hi,

Daytona 2 PE seems to run 60fps most of the time, but every so often it drops to 20fps for a couple of seconds, i e got a feeling this has something to do with the ppc frequency as my pc should be able to run it (c2d e8335 2.93ghz, 4gb, and a 9800gt)

Thanks!
dijital

Re: Best PPC frequency for Datona 2 PE

Postby Hikaru » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:44 am

For Daytona, found 50mhz worked best.

For scudrace, run at 33mhz for a silky smooth 60fps. If I run at any other frequency, the framerate dips.
Hikaru

Postby BadMouth » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:15 am

dijital wrote:Hi,

Daytona 2 PE seems to run 60fps most of the time, but every so often it drops to 20fps for a couple of seconds, i e got a feeling this has something to do with the ppc frequency as my pc should be able to run it (c2d e8335 2.93ghz, 4gb, and a 9800gt)

Thanks!

Same here. Always on the same points on the track, where large objects are loading, like the giant swinging viking ship.
Dropping the resolution didn't help as much as I thought it would.
I haven't messed with the PPC frequency yet.
(3.2Ghz athlon x2, 8600gt, XP64)

The same thing is probably happening that Bart comments on in this thread: http://www.supermodel3.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17

EDIT: His comment seems to have disappeard....
Maybe that wasn't it after all. :D
BadMouth

Postby Bart » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:43 am

It happens during texture uploads, most likely. Someone here claimed to have run Daytona 2 at 100MHz and it minimized the delayed texture uploads (visible because some textured objects will switch colors as you approach them) but I don't know whether it slows the emulator down or not. Texture uploading is somewhat inefficient still.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby dijital » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:08 pm

Tried it up 166mhz (the standard frequency for this stepping of the model 3 chipset I believe) It runs about half speed for me but still slows even more at those points. :(
dijital

Postby Bart » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:12 pm

dijital wrote:Tried it up 166mhz (the standard frequency for this stepping of the model 3 chipset I believe) It runs about half speed for me but still slows even more at those points. :(

If Supermodel's frame rate drops, then it's the texture uploading and PowerPC frequency won't affect it. If the game slows down without affecting Supermodel's frame rate, that's how you know the PowerPC is involved. Supermodel always runs the same number of cycles per frame -- but if the frequency is "wrong" from the game's perspective, that means the games won't have enough time to do all the necessary work each frame, even though Supermodel will happily keep cranking out 60 FPS (or whatever).

The question is, due to the texture glitches (most obvious on the Medium course, when you first enter the tunnel, and the Expert course, when you pass under the bridge and see some road texture corruption) go away?
Bart
Site Admin

Postby PowerPC300 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:00 pm

166 mhz works for me, proably becuase my system is a core i7 8750H with 6 cores. however, the cutscene in scud race plus goes too fast.
Sega has made interesting hardware back in those days, the model 1, naomi, and don't forget the all custom hikaru!
PowerPC300

Return to The Fitting Room