Black Flashes (von254g)

Having technical difficulties with Supermodel? Last-minute wardrobe malfunction? Get help here.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!
  • No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!
Framed_Niner

Black Flashes (von254g)

Post by Framed_Niner »

I updated from an earlier build to the newest and am experiencing an issue. Black flashes are occurring in VOOT. They occur in the middle of fights, and sometimes in gameplay. No slowdown happens when this bug occurs. Is anything known to cause this?
Framed_Niner

Re: Black Flashes (von254g)

Post by Framed_Niner »

Somehow it got worse. It is now unplayable on the same install. Anybody else have this problem?
ToBul

Post by ToBul »

I've posted an issue on GitHub about the screen going blank in daytona, albeit blue.
It seems to be more noticeable now than ever. It might be related to this?

Also, I don't play von myself, but I think von254 may be a bad dump which confuses the matter even more.
The von254 title screen only seems to render correctly when set to Japan region, others regions garble the v254 overlay.
When you change from Japan back to another region, it really borks the title screen.
Other von versions don't seem to mind region changing.

If the von254 ROM is indeed bad and fetching textures incorrectly, then it probably will always be a little glitchy.
Last edited by ToBul on Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:21 pm, edited 15 times in total.
aka rokfpoewrkcpoqwkcp
Framed_Niner

Post by Framed_Niner »

This strange issue is tied to the refresh rate of the PowerPC emulation. When running at 60MHz, the game runs at full speed but has black flashes. When run at the arcade accurate 166 MHz, it runs slow, but the flashes are fixed!
Bart
Site Admin

Post by Bart »

I have fixed this. As of e59ecea, the PPC frequency will be set automatically based on board stepping. Don't specify -ppc-frequency anymore unless you absolutely need to lower the speed because your computer is too slow.