The Ocean Hunter slowness in intro

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Re: The Ocean Hunter slowness in intro

Postby anchounio » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:22 am

Ian wrote:Do you get the same slow down with the legacy engine?

I've just tested.
Using the legacy engine there's no slowness in the intro. The FPS's keep between 56 and 60 during the whole introduction.

The sequence of the leviathan attacking the ship stays on 57 fps. Same for the Kraken scene. These scenes are the critical ones with the 3d-engine. With the 3d-engine the fps drops to 30-40 during this sequences.
Last edited by anchounio on Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anchounio

Postby Bart » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:20 pm

I wonder if it has something to do with texture mapping. Ian's 3D engine needs to upload texture maps if the game is either changing the texture sheet frequently or accessing lots of overlapping textures. Try running in windowed mode and watch the console output. Is there a clear burst of activity during the slow parts (lots of messages being printed to the console)?
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Ian » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:22 pm

I finally removed the texture debug texture code so there is no console spamming. If you are only getting 56-60 fps with the legacy renderer your system is probably already at 100% usage. The slow down is probably related to the number of draw calls in those scenes. Unfortunately the cpu emulation is very heavy since we are using an interpreter so there is not much cpu left for everything else.

As my summer project I'm going to try and branch the renderer and rewrite
it somewhat to turn it into a quad renderer. The model 3 nativity renders quads and the only way we can do this properly is to use geometry shaders. Unfortunately this will further slow things down :P but is critical for fixing many things.
Ian

Postby scd » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:02 pm

As my summer project I'm going to try and branch the renderer and rewrite
it somewhat to turn it into a quad renderer.

ian, there is any possibility to add specular and mipmap effects before this change? im playing in a weak pc and it will be great to playing with those effects in a reasonable fps(about 50-60 with turn off the music) like now before it will be any slower :)
scd

Postby HarryTuttle » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:30 am

Ian wrote:As my summer project I'm going to try and branch the renderer and rewrite
it somewhat to turn it into a quad renderer. The model 3 nativity renders quads and the only way we can do this properly is to use geometry shaders. Unfortunately this will further slow things down :P but is critical for fixing many things.

Can't wait to see that completed! :D
HarryTuttle

Postby Ian » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:14 am

I already made a little progress on it.
There's a paper here which nvidia has some CG shaders example for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAASBiVig7I
http://vcg.isti.cnr.it/publications/pap ... dering.pdf

It can render all kinds of non planar / bow tie (twisted) quads and other crazy things. But unfortunately it totally fell apart when I fed it triangles, actually turning into a garbled mess. What I did was just repeat the 3rd vertex.

Looking at the model3 games, something like 90+ % of the polys are quads. Like the sega saturn, I am guessing native triangle drawing hardware probably didn't exist, they probably fudged the quad drawing code to render triangles as well.

I could add a second rendering path to draw triangles, but that would really suck. If I can figure out how to adapt the quad code to also draw triangles without blowing up we might make some progress :)
Ian

Previous

Return to The Catwalk