Anybody using a PC steering wheel?

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Anybody using a PC steering wheel?

Postby ConversusVans » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:35 am

Hey, I'm sure some of you on the boards play racers on Supermodel, Demul and M2 Emulator with a steering wheel to emulate the arcade experience. Thing is: I had a little bit of interest in buying one this Christmas for a fair price, with a shifter and comfortable pedals. Steering response is also important to me, as deadzones make racing games less enjoyable.

I've seen these:
- Thrustmaster TMX
- Thrustmaster Ferrari F40 (JackOHedge has this and says it's good)
- Logitech G920 (it's $$$ though)
- Logitech Driving Force GT

I would mainly be using it to play Indy 500 on the M2 Emulator and Jambo Safari on Demul. The Jambo Safari machine at my local bowling alley has been removed, so I can't really beat my top score by using a control pad.
So I was wondering if any of you could give me some reasonably priced recommendations. :)
- Conversus W. Vans (Paul)
ConversusVans

Re: Anybody using a PC steering wheel?

Postby sonic32 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:40 am

Hello, I only play with the steering wheel, it's very similar to Arcade Simulation (Scud Race etc)
I never play with the gamepad
I have a steering wheel - the Logitech® MOMO® Racing Force Feedback Wheel
I bought a old for 40 Euro, I have a good Force Feedback
Attachments
79273783.jpg
79273783.jpg (22.61 KiB) Viewed 182 times
sonic32

Postby ConversusVans » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:47 pm

sonic32 wrote:Hello, I only play with the steering wheel, it's very similar to Arcade Simulation (Scud Race etc)
I never play with the gamepad
I have a steering wheel - the Logitech® MOMO® Racing Force Feedback Wheel
I bought a old for 40 Euro, I have a good Force Feedback

That wouldn't be too bad for what I want to play. The shifter looks like a 2-way, but Indy and Jambo had 2-way shifters on the arcade cabinet, however I may want to branch out into mastering Daytona 2 again (that cabinet had a 4-way). I'll have to research more on it.
ConversusVans

Postby MrThunderwing » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:15 pm

I use a Logitech Driving Force GT. I was lucky enough to inherit it off my brother-in-law when he sold his PS3 awhile back, so I can't really comment on the price, but I believe they are pretty budget friendly. I would highly recommend it though, the force feedback is ace and works brilliantly in Supermodel and Model 2 Emulator (it's a bit weak in Daytona, but Sega Rally fights back like a champ, I can't remember if Indy 500 does anything off the top of my head. The FFB in the PS3 version of Daytona is pretty bitchin', crank it up full power and it feels like it'll tear one of your arms off. It also works on F-Zero GX if you're using Dolphin emulator). It feels pretty robust and has no noticeable deadzone. There's a profiler thingy you can use to set-up individual settings for games, but I've never actually needed to use it. It doesn't have a proper shifter though. There's a simple up down 2 way gear stick and paddles under the wheel for sequential shifting. I normally get around this for games like Daytona by just assigning the buttons on the wheel itself to individual gears so I can still pull off drifts. I've never played Jambo Safari, so can't comment on that I'm afraid.
MrThunderwing

Postby ConversusVans » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:20 am

MrThunderwing wrote:I use a Logitech Driving Force GT. I was lucky enough to inherit it off my brother-in-law when he sold his PS3 awhile back, so I can't really comment on the price, but I believe they are pretty budget friendly. I would highly recommend it though, the force feedback is ace and works brilliantly in Supermodel and Model 2 Emulator (it's a bit weak in Daytona, but Sega Rally fights back like a champ, I can't remember if Indy 500 does anything off the top of my head. The FFB in the PS3 version of Daytona is pretty bitchin', crank it up full power and it feels like it'll tear one of your arms off. It also works on F-Zero GX if you're using Dolphin emulator). It feels pretty robust and has no noticeable deadzone. There's a profiler thingy you can use to set-up individual settings for games, but I've never actually needed to use it. It doesn't have a proper shifter though. There's a simple up down 2 way gear stick and paddles under the wheel for sequential shifting. I normally get around this for games like Daytona by just assigning the buttons on the wheel itself to individual gears so I can still pull off drifts. I've never played Jambo Safari, so can't comment on that I'm afraid.

You were pretty lucky to acquire that wheel, I'd say. I think Santa is bringing me the Logitech MOMO wheel though, as it's what I initially asked for.
With the paddle shifters and the up-down shifter, it should be pretty okay for Daytona and SEGA Rally.
ConversusVans

Postby MrThunderwing » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:33 am

Indeed :D I have my sister to thank for that!
MrThunderwing

Return to The Catwalk