Custom build of Supermodel with Frameskip?

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Custom build of Supermodel with Frameskip?

Postby DaytonaFan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Hello everyone! I know that it may be ridiculous that a feature like this was forced into Supermodel, but I wondered how exactly would be possible at least a single specific build of Supermodel with some kind of frameskipping or optimization for low-end GPUs (like my Intel HD Graphics)? Some games like SEGA Rally 2 actually run well (that is, if I disable sound), and I wondered how I could get the last FPS needed to have the games at fullspeed and keeping sound.

Also, unrelated to this question, but I remember someone posting a video about Dirt Devils being linked in Supermodel. Is there anything about that out?
DaytonaFan

Re: Custom build of Supermodel with Frameskip?

Postby Toshiko » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:50 pm

In regards to Sega Rally 2, the official PC release is very lightweight, has more courses and features than the arcade, and only misses out on some lighting effects (which I personally find garish on the Model 3 side, and thus prefer PC). The only caveat is that the more modern your OS is, the more of a pain it is to get running (I even had to abandon analog controls along the way). But for an 18 year old PC game, it's pretty great!

Also, frameskip isn't always a feasible or effective option for running on less than ideal hardware. I've not looked at the Supermodel source, or even tested on a system that doesn't meet requirements (even my laptop is overkill for Supermodel), but it might not be a viable option.
Toshiko

Postby Nickie » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:16 am

i can hardly think of a GPU today that can't render model3 graphics, your CPU may be the issue there, which explains why disabling sound helps ;)

so frameskipping on the actual game engine and system emulation is quite another thing than dropping video frames ....

model3 isn't very heavy on the hardware, have you considered an ugrade?
Nickie

Postby DaytonaFan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:40 am

Toshiko wrote:In regards to Sega Rally 2, the official PC release is very lightweight, has more courses and features than the arcade, and only misses out on some lighting effects (which I personally find garish on the Model 3 side, and thus prefer PC). The only caveat is that the more modern your OS is, the more of a pain it is to get running (I even had to abandon analog controls along the way). But for an 18 year old PC game, it's pretty great!

Also, frameskip isn't always a feasible or effective option for running on less than ideal hardware. I've not looked at the Supermodel source, or even tested on a system that doesn't meet requirements (even my laptop is overkill for Supermodel), but it might not be a viable option.

I already have the PC version of Sega Rally 2, and it's the one I play the most (one of my favorite games). I would like to be able to play Daytona 2 at constant fullspeed though.

Nickie wrote:i can hardly think of a GPU today that can't render model3 graphics, your CPU may be the issue there, which explains why disabling sound helps ;)

so frameskipping on the actual game engine and system emulation is quite another thing than dropping video frames ....

model3 isn't very heavy on the hardware, have you considered an ugrade?

I would upgrade if I wasn't in Venezuela :P
DaytonaFan

Postby Nickie » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:47 pm

DaytonaFan wrote:I would upgrade if I wasn't in Venezuela :P

oww shucks :p

if i sent you some CPU do you think you'd receive it? :p what's your hardware? (i mean unless it's a laptop :p )
Nickie

Return to The Catwalk