LA Machineguns Wii Differences

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

LA Machineguns Wii Differences

Postby Jiterdomer » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:27 pm

Since I played a lot of LA Machineguns on Supermodel (thanks to Bart and Ian for fixing the whole game), I know the difference between the arcade and Wii version is that:

* Coca-Cola statue in Las Vegas Stage removed (it wasn't removed in the Stage Selection portrait)
* Health bars changed from Red Cross into a plain red rectangle
* MGM Lion Statue was removed
* The text "President" in Los Angeles stage was changed to "S.O.S."
* Slightly different font
* The cops' dead bodies no longer visible in both Los Angeles and Alcatraz Stage to avoid having an M rating
* Magical Truck Adventure advert has been changed to Gunblade NY.

Are there any more differences?
Feel the heartbeat of my machine through this tight seat. I feel every motion of my machine
Jiterdomer

Re: LA Machineguns Wii Differences

Postby Bart » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:32 pm

The ending credits thank The Coca-Cola Company :)

Licensing issues are likely one reason Model 3 racers never saw ports. The Daytona name needs to be relicensed -- and it's not cheap. No way Daytona 2 would generate enough revenue today to warrant that. Likewise with other popular Model 3 games, including Scud Race.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby ConversusVans » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:38 pm

Bart wrote:The ending credits thank The Coca-Cola Company :)

Licensing issues are likely one reason Model 3 racers never saw ports. The Daytona name needs to be relicensed -- and it's not cheap. No way Daytona 2 would generate enough revenue today to warrant that. Likewise with other popular Model 3 games, including Scud Race.

Harley-Davidson was rumored to have a Dreamcast release in 1999, but I know then another company was making a game with the H-D license for the PC, called "Harley-Davidson: Race Across America". I don't think that game was very good, though.
- Conversus W. Vans (Paul)
ConversusVans

Postby Joaquim Gonçalves » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:45 pm

Last edited by Joaquim Gonçalves on Sun May 01, 2016 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting...
Joaquim Gonçalves

Postby karadaniano » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:42 pm

We should do a special post with all the adds that today look like an easter egg.
Like the dreamcast billboards in dirt devils, and virtua striker 2. Bean's special cameo in vs2
The magical truck one in la machineguns
Et.
karadaniano

Postby DaytonaFan » Sun May 01, 2016 10:08 am

Well, if the Daytona name had to be relicensed, then Daytona USA 2001 couldn't have been made. Even if it was a remake from the original Daytona USA, they still should had to have the Daytona license, and if they had it they shouldn't have a problem with porting Daytona 2. Scud Race is another thing, though.
DaytonaFan

Postby Bart » Sun May 01, 2016 10:30 am

DaytonaFan wrote:

Well, if the Daytona name had to be relicensed, then Daytona USA 2001 couldn't have been made. Even if it was a remake from the original Daytona USA, they still should had to have the Daytona license, and if they had it they shouldn't have a problem with porting Daytona 2. Scud Race is another thing, though.

I'm quite certain they either had to relicense the Daytona name for that game or that it was produced within the term of their original license. In either case, it makes sense that they maximized the opportunity by developing an all-new game with more content than Daytona 2 alone would have had. Recall that when Sega later released an updated version of Daytona USA to arcades, they had to rename it "Sega Racing Classic".
Bart
Site Admin

Postby IceMan » Fri May 06, 2016 7:06 am

The Daytona USA name is licensed from the circuit in America, nothing to do with the overriding NASCAR series though. e.g. here's the track in iRacing: http://www.iracing.com/tracks/daytona/

What's odd about the Sega game is that they licensed the track but it doesn't actually appear in the game (like the Indy 500 does in the Model 2 game). Although the oval track in Daytona USA 2 Power Edition looked a bit more "real life" than the original domed version.
IceMan

Postby Bart » Fri May 06, 2016 7:29 am

Jiterdomer wrote:Since I played a lot of LA Machineguns on Supermodel (thanks to Bart and Ian for fixing the whole game), I know the difference between the arcade and Wii version is that:

* Coca-Cola statue in Las Vegas Stage removed (it wasn't removed in the Stage Selection portrait)
* Health bars changed from Red Cross into a plain red rectangle
* MGM Lion Statue was removed
* The text "President" in Los Angeles stage was changed to "S.O.S."
* Slightly different font
* The cops' dead bodies no longer visible in both Los Angeles and Alcatraz Stage to avoid having an M rating
* Magical Truck Adventure advert has been changed to Gunblade NY.

Are there any more differences?

Unless there are problems with the Wii emulator people use to make YouTube videos, I noticed that blinking lights don't appear in the Wii version. For example, the enemy's goggles blink red, as do street lights and blinkers on the President's limousine in the opening sequence of the LA mission. Talk about lazy programming.

Also, it appears to me that the explosions are too dark but maybe this is a Wii emulation bug?
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Jiterdomer » Mon May 09, 2016 3:52 am

The explosions are little bit darker, the street lights in LA and the President's limo signal lights doesn't flash, and it also missing a flashing effect (the one the actual arcade version is doing but lacks this effect in Supermodel) right during the Valley of Fire briefing screen due to memory limitations that the Wii version does. They are using capture cards than emulator since Gunblade NY/LA Machineguns Arcade Hits doesn't emulated yet in Dolphin.
Feel the heartbeat of my machine through this tight seat. I feel every motion of my machine
Jiterdomer

Next

Return to The Catwalk