Supermodel Latest Builds for Download (currently SVN 775)

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Re: Supermodel Latest Builds for Download (currently SVN 757

Postby xbrunox » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:32 pm

ConversusVans wrote:I'm actually having the same problem as the user above has mentioned regarding the fog on all games. However, f I switch to the NVIDIA card on my laptop, the graphics are rendered normally.

Here's an example on H-D LA Riders:

Some images for me.
xbrunox

Postby ConversusVans » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:14 pm

Ian wrote:What gfx card do u have?
It's possible the shaders are failing to compile
Never mind, found and fixed it I think

Nice, and I'm playing on a Samsung notebook with i7-6500U, Intel HD Graphics 620/NVIDIA GeForce 940M. Games actually play smoothly with the Intel if I don't hack it up to widescreen (I prefer just the original 4:3 image anyway). It's enough to recommend someone else looking for a reasonably-priced computer or notebook to play these games on I think.
- Conversus W. Vans (Paul)
ConversusVans

Postby Bart » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:25 pm

Ian wrote:supermodel just needs a gui
and unfortunately we work on this for free, in our free time
If i had endless time to burn I'd probably write one

I'd like to write a wxWindows GUI. It's a nice API. Played around with it a little bit and it shouldn't be too tough. Just trying to decide whether or not to work on SDL2 first.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Bart » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:49 pm

doteater wrote:
But why don’t you just try both and compare frame rates?

sorry but why are you somewhat assuming or implying that i won't ?
i didn't even know that command existed until yesterday ; i replied in this thread to ask for more info because i was curious and that's the whole point of the forums
furthermore,i wasn't typing that from my "supermodel pc" so i couldn't test anything in that specific moment anyway

The variance in hardware specs among Supermodel is large. As you've noted, Supermodel has various performance-related options. Your questions was phrased as whether you should use -gpu-multi-threaded given your particular specs. I wasn't trying to get on your case, I was making an entirely different point: there really are no guidelines or "recommended" settings for options that are purely performance-related. The answer is simply that it depends on whether the option makes Supermodel more or less playable for you.

i know you're frustrated about the fact that some users "won't even read the txt file" or check out the help section etc etc
i understand that , it must be really annoying (specially after a couple of years) but i am not one of "those people"

Didn't mean to imply you were. But really, the answer to questions about whether a performance-enhancing option should or should not be used is "try it out and see."

might as well ask a couple more things :
at least at "low resolutions" (let's say at 720p or not above 1080p in any case),is supermodel cpu or gpu bound ? normally i would say cpu but i am not so sure in this case
my 750ti is absolutely low end in 2019 but i'm still getting 60 fps most of the time , even with quad rendering enabled
that's kinda the reason why i asked that question about the gpu multi threaded command - i wanted to understand what is considered "low end" for supermodel

It's very heavy on the CPU but I'd say it's actually still GPU bound. Maybe Ian can comment on my reasoning:

When Supermodel came out in 2011, it was a mix of both. I think most systems of that era could handle the CPU load, especially given that I was underclocking the PowerPC and running it at 25 MHz or so. The legacy renderer's shaders are pretty gnarly. It's not that Model 3 graphics are complicated -- PC GPUs have been better since the late 90's. But the way it was emulated was pretty hard on older GPUs. My recollection is that more people had trouble with underpowered GPUs back then than CPUs.

For people still running on CPUs from over 5 years ago, Supermodel's CPU burden may feel heavier today because we have upped the default clock rate to 50 MHz. if you try to run with -no-threads, it may become CPU bound even on some modern hardware. Overall, I'd say it's a wash but I've noticed that at very high resolutions on my 960 with Ian's engine, there are scenes that will actually cause legitimate slow-down. There is significant frame rate variance depending on what is being rendered. When there are no 3D graphics on screen, the frame rate shoots over 100 FPS on my system, but can dip momentarily below 60 and hover at 70-80 depending on specific settings.

To me, this indicates that the GPU workload is non-trivial (a surprising number of draw calls because of how Model 3 meshes are organized) and still the dominant factor. Draw calls might technically be a driver-side (and therefore, CPU) bottleneck (is that right, Ian?) but the translucency-related slowdowns I see have to be shader-driven and therefore a legitimate GPU performance bottleneck.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby xbrunox » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:05 am

Ian wrote:What gfx card do u have?
It's possible the shaders are failing to compile
Never mind, found and fixed it I think

Thanks Ian all is good now on 767 release with ati hd7970
xbrunox

Postby cailan bruce0 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:06 am

alright so one day will it possible to run supermodel 3 networking full on without -no-threads its just a question :?:
cailan bruce0

Postby cailan bruce0 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:01 am

i have listed some problems i did not know where a BIG PROBLEM

#1 if multiplayer was released to the public for people to link supermodel 3 games together what would happen is one person will have a faster pc then the other thats a problem because
the emulation will be done faster then the other there for the car will be faster then the other slower pc and the fix is to make sure that the 2 or up to 16 players have a good pc and is locked at 60hz i think :?:

#2 The biggest problem i think would happen is 2 or 16 players are racing on idk Daytona 2 usa idk but one pc was to _CRASH BSOD OMG :shock: _

And There For all the rest of the pc's will freeze and the race is over someone getting _BSOD OMG :shock: _

and the reason the rest of the pc's would crash is because i once did a multiplayer with DT2 USA and when i turn one daytona machine off and the other machine freezes same thing will happen to the #2 problem

well i hope this was useful :lol:
cailan bruce0

Re: Supermodel Latest Builds for Download (currently SVN 775

Postby Jiterdomer » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:36 pm

Sorry, no Custom MP2 support due to a new MPEG code.
Feel the heartbeat of my machine through this tight seat. I feel every motion of my machine
Jiterdomer

Postby doteater » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:53 am

thank as always , jiter

coming from r755 , i immediately noticed a big loss in performance aka not hitting 60fps (only tried vf3tb so far)
my ppc frequency was set at 66 and increasing it to 100 made the game crawl even more (below 30 fps)
strangely enough,completely removing the frequency setting from the bat seems to have done the trick but increasing the frequency was how i got rid of random stutters etc

what am i to do now ?
doteater

Postby Ian » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:42 am

What gpu do you have?
Ian

PreviousNext

Return to The Catwalk