Supermodel Latest Builds for Download (currently SVN 775)

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

  • No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Re: Supermodel Latest Builds for Download (currently SVN 775

Postby Ian » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:54 pm

I made some quite large changes to the renderer to make it more accurate, I'm not gonna try and maintain a separate branch .. Just too much work.
If I had an AMD gfx card I might be able to figure out where this bottle neck is happening, maybe file a driver thing for it
If we abandonded opengl 2.x i might be able to make a more efficient render path, as the 2.x one has some limitations
But to do that we have to rip out all the rest of the legacy code
Ian
 
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:23 am

Re: Supermodel Latest Builds for Download (currently SVN 775

Postby LeSpank » Wed May 01, 2019 1:57 am

DarylWise wrote:Does anyone know if there is a fix for AMD GPU users? I'm still on 732 and I want to have full performance and the new audio looping fix applied and more. Anyone out there?!?!


Hi Daryl... Can you update to the latest build but use the legacy 3D engine? That's what I have to do as an AMD user unfortunately.

New3DEngine = 0 in config file
LeSpank
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:04 am
Location: Cwmbran, Wales

Re: Supermodel Latest Builds for Download (currently SVN 775

Postby DarylWise » Wed May 01, 2019 5:56 pm

LeSpank wrote:
DarylWise wrote:Does anyone know if there is a fix for AMD GPU users? I'm still on 732 and I want to have full performance and the new audio looping fix applied and more. Anyone out there?!?!


Hi Daryl... Can you update to the latest build but use the legacy 3D engine? That's what I have to do as an AMD user unfortunately.

New3DEngine = 0 in config file


Tried that first thing and not only do I have the same issues but graphical issues with some games because of the old engine. I'm not worried about it anymore the old build still works, 1080p/60fps locked. Perhaps in the future this emu will get developers who can make a code to work on both AMD and Intel and not just what the dev has available. Exclusivity should stay with gaming consoles not on PC too but oh well.
DarylWise
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:43 pm

Re: Supermodel Latest Builds for Download (currently SVN 775

Postby Bart » Thu May 02, 2019 12:28 pm

DarylWise wrote:Perhaps in the future this emu will get developers who can make a code to work on both AMD and Intel and not just what the dev has available. Exclusivity should stay with gaming consoles not on PC too but oh well.


I think this is needlessly snarky. Everyone with the skill set to contribute to the code base is also a busy professional with other responsibilities and interests. That's why the project is open source for others to pitch in and contribute to. What do you realistically expect us to do? Spend hundreds of dollars buying AMD and Intel-based systems and then countless hours overhauling the 3D engine to work with each configuration? The work Ian has done is remarkable and took an enormous amount of effort, time, and skill. He's also gone above and beyond, IMHO, in providing support and taking feedback.

What you're asking isn't easy. I think non-developers sometimes tend to have an unrealistic notion of how programming actually works. It's not as if Ian said "gee, if I just typed these 5 magic lines of code that I already know by heart, my engine would work just as well on AMD and Intel, but I'd rather have a beer now."

We do what we can with the resources we have. I think everyone agrees this is better than not releasing an open source emulator at all.
User avatar
Bart
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2335
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: Santa Clara, California

Re: Supermodel Latest Builds for Download (currently SVN 775

Postby DarylWise » Thu May 02, 2019 5:00 pm

Bart wrote:
DarylWise wrote:Perhaps in the future this emu will get developers who can make a code to work on both AMD and Intel and not just what the dev has available. Exclusivity should stay with gaming consoles not on PC too but oh well.


I think this is needlessly snarky. Everyone with the skill set to contribute to the code base is also a busy professional with other responsibilities and interests. That's why the project is open source for others to pitch in and contribute to. What do you realistically expect us to do? Spend hundreds of dollars buying AMD and Intel-based systems and then countless hours overhauling the 3D engine to work with each configuration? The work Ian has done is remarkable and took an enormous amount of effort, time, and skill. He's also gone above and beyond, IMHO, in providing support and taking feedback.

What you're asking isn't easy. I think non-developers sometimes tend to have an unrealistic notion of how programming actually works. It's not as if Ian said "gee, if I just typed these 5 magic lines of code that I already know by heart, my engine would work just as well on AMD and Intel, but I'd rather have a beer now."

We do what we can with the resources we have. I think everyone agrees this is better than not releasing an open source emulator at all.


Sorry if I came off that way but I was really trying to wish well for this emulator is all. I do hope in the future we get more people to contribute and this emulator blows up in a great way. I took coding (Java and C+) in college and failed both so I am not completely ignorant to coding and the inner workings of emulators. And in terms of development, I have a business in sample library production and my platform is something called Kontakt 5. The libraries also have interfaces and editing parameters which must be scripted/coded in Kontakt to work. So I'm definitely not a non-developer. But then again I also don't really know anything about Model 2 emulation, but that doesn't mean I can't wish for the development of the emulator to get better and better nor does that mean I am ignorant concerning optimization in programming.

Again sorry if you felt hostility from that post but I was trying to be genuine and take this at face value. I am thankful we even have this emulator to begin with and the performance that it gives. Please don't think I take any of it for granted.
DarylWise
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:43 pm

Re: Supermodel Latest Builds for Download (currently SVN 775

Postby Ian » Mon May 06, 2019 4:53 am

comment out

m_r3dFrameBuffers.StoreDepth (); // save depth buffer for 1st trans pass
and
m_r3dFrameBuffers.RestoreDepth ();

from new3d.cpp
It's only a simple blit between render targets but I think this is what is killing performance on ATI. You can run it like this but it won't be as accurate with regards to overlapping transparency layers.
Exactly how the frame buffers work on the model3 is still a bit of a mystery, but the current render path is almost 100% accurate.
Ian
 
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:23 am

Re: Supermodel Latest Builds for Download (currently SVN 775

Postby SuYuzuki » Sat May 18, 2019 5:22 am

Just wann thank you for posting a file how to built or modify some roms to make them run...
Expl. La Mans 24 ... with FFB :D

Most posts are old but i started with Model 2 and 3 just 6 Months ago and i am still satisfied and happy.
SuYuzuki
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:00 am

Previous

Return to The Catwalk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests