Supermodel Latest Builds for Download (currently SVN 735)

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Re: Supermodel Latest Builds for Download (currently SVN 673

Postby Trojan X » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:22 pm

I don't know why but it's not working for me. The super old SVN 502 works but not 673, Am I doing something wrong? I'm using Windows 10.
Trojan X

Postby Ian » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:45 pm

Define not working?
Ian

Postby Trojan X » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:05 pm

Ah. My mistake. Looks like the new SVN were picking up on some epr that the very old build didn't bothered with, example, scud race reported with missing epr files on the new SVN while it played just fine on the very on SVN. Since updating the roms the game ran ok. I will soon test Sega rally and daytona with hope that all will be fine.
Trojan X

Postby HarryTuttle » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:13 am

Trojan X wrote:Ah. My mistake. Looks like the new SVN were picking up on some epr that the very old build didn't bothered with, example, scud race reported with missing epr files on the new SVN while it played just fine on the very on SVN. Since updating the roms the game ran ok. I will soon test Sega rally and daytona with hope that all will be fine.

The recent Supermodel versions use the same MAME rom set (in zip format as 7z is not supported)
HarryTuttle

Postby MrThunderwing » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:22 pm

HarryTuttle wrote:Quick Update:

You're right MrThunderwing, I forgot to test the official build... :oops:
lem24_01.jpeg

Lately a lot of changes were done to the light model of Supermodel for more accurate emulation, however step 1.5 still has incorrect lightning for luminous polygons (both fixed shaded and regular shaded). Regarding those, there are currently some fixes pending (part of a patch of mine) that must be discussed before pushing to master. Now it's Ian turn :)

Even with the missing lighting effects, Le Mans is still looking pretty amazeballs in the newest Supermodel revision. I always used to think it was the ugly duckling of Model 3 racers back in the old days (of the legacy Supermodel engine), but I've totally revised my opinion of it now.

MrThunderwing

Postby HarryTuttle » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:27 pm

MrThunderwing wrote:I always used to think it was the ugly duckling of Model 3 racers back in the old days (of the legacy Supermodel engine), but I've totally revised my opinion of it now.

I thought the same :) LeMans 24 has some elaborate fog effect, plus spot light, specular... now that all the bells and whistles are being (almost) correct emulated (even textures were incorrect in the old emulator versions) this game regained many points. Too bad I find the driving style a bit difficult to learn, I feel it's not well calibrated like Scud, which I find perfect.
HarryTuttle

Postby Cel_da » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:18 am

I think somebody told that the driving in Le Mans was like that in the original arcade, the range of the wheel is shorter than the other games, not shure if the original is like that...i use a G27 and in the game we only need to turn a litle or the car starts to slide. It would be great someone to confirm the arcade driving is like that. And it would be eaven greater to have ffb in this and other racing games in Super model. And to give some refinement in the actual implemented ffb, unfortunatly i have no skills, but have been looking forward this since the emulator have suffered great improvements.

Thx for all the work regarding this great emu!
Cel_da

Postby MrThunderwing » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:20 pm

Cel_da wrote: It would be great someone to confirm the arcade driving is like that. And it would be eaven greater to have ffb in this and other racing games in Super model.

Good luck with that (not meant sarcastically). I haven't seen an actual Le Mans Arcade machine anywhere in probably well over 15 years. I'm sure it's been discussed on here before, but can someone remind me of the reason why Le Mans doesn't have FFB and Scud, Sega Rally 2 and Daytona 2 do? Was it just an incomplete ROM dump? I wonder if Howard C over at BYOAC could work some of his FFB magic on this (if he could ever find time between all the other projects he seems to have on the go).
MrThunderwing

Postby HarryTuttle » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:44 pm

Cel_da wrote:It would be great someone to confirm the arcade driving is like that.

This guy uploaded videos of LeMans 24 gaming sessions (among others) where you can see his hands (with gloves!) and the steering wheel, maybe we can see the steering range compared to the car's movement.

Cel_da wrote:And it would be eaven greater to have ffb in this and other racing games in Super model.

LM24 has a drive board submenu in test mode, so I presume this means: yes it has ffb. But the current romset lacks a driveboard rom, so maybe it's an incomplete dump.
If a game has a driveboard rom and Supermodel emulates the program, we can have ffb. However some game, like Star Wars Trilogy, has it but it's currently unemulated.
HarryTuttle

Postby Ian » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:50 am

MrThunderwing wrote:
Even with the missing lighting effects, Le Mans is still looking pretty amazeballs in the newest Supermodel revision. I always used to think it was the ugly duckling of Model 3 racers back in the old days (of the legacy Supermodel engine), but I've totally revised my opinion of it now.

LeMans24 is probably one of the most broken looking games currently :( It has a lot of transparency errors. The legacy engine actually looks better in that regard, either by design of by accident :p I wonder if there is some internal setting which tells it which way to parse a culling node list, forwards or backwards ..
Ian

PreviousNext

Return to The Catwalk