Supermodel Latest Builds for Download (currently SVN 775)

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Re: Supermodel Latest Builds for Download (currently SVN 741

Postby ark216 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:43 pm

Guys i just tried the latest build of Supermodel emulator SVN r741, but i am getting slow downs (massive frame rate drops) in certain areas in the games i tested most notably in Sega Rally 2, a few in Daytona 2 and Scud Race. Did not test other games.

What is causing these slowdowns? I ran the same games on a very old build (and also via GUI at one instance) the games ran very smooth.
I would like to run the games smoothly but with the latest build. What is the fix for that?

Regards.
ark216

Postby DarylWise » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:14 pm

ark216 wrote:Guys i just tried the latest build of Supermodel emulator SVN r741, but i am getting slow downs (massive frame rate drops) in certain areas in the games i tested most notably in Sega Rally 2, a few in Daytona 2 and Scud Race. Did not test other games.

What is causing these slowdowns? I ran the same games on a very old build (and also via GUI at one instance) the games ran very smooth.
I would like to run the games smoothly but with the latest build. What is the fix for that?

Regards.

I knew I wasn't the only one with this issue. Check on Page 39 of this thread, I reported this same issue.

Go back to SVN 732. That is the last build until the issues.
DarylWise

Postby Bart » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:28 pm

It would be great if you guys could record videos and point out exactly where the slowdowns occur as well as precisely which SVN revision broke.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby DarylWise » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:44 pm

Bart wrote:It would be great if you guys could record videos and point out exactly where the slowdowns occur as well as precisely which SVN revision broke.

For me like I said, it was after SVN 732. The Harley Davidson and Star Wars games on any SVN after 732 lag for me. Harley was the worst, and SWTA had slowdowns here and there.

When I get a chance I will record gameplay with my iPhone any SVN above 732 to show you. Doing it with my iPhone to that you don't blame the lag on the direct capture software.
DarylWise

Postby Bart » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:38 am

DarylWise wrote:
Bart wrote:It would be great if you guys could record videos and point out exactly where the slowdowns occur as well as precisely which SVN revision broke.

For me like I said, it was after SVN 732. The Harley Davidson and Star Wars games on any SVN after 732 lag for me. Harley was the worst, and SWTA had slowdowns here and there.

When I get a chance I will record gameplay with my iPhone any SVN above 732 to show you. Doing it with my iPhone to that you don't blame the lag on the direct capture software.

I saw your comment on pg 39. Ian made a substantial rendering change in SVN 733 that isn't going to be reverted given that it's the only way we know how to make Model 3 alpha blending work correctly. What resolution are you running at? Your GPU seems plenty modern enough. Did you look into driver settings as Ian suggested? It's unfortunately difficult to get any insight into what is going on without debugging specifically on your system.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby DarylWise » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:50 am

Bart wrote:
DarylWise wrote:

I saw your comment on pg 39. Ian made a substantial rendering change in SVN 733 that isn't going to be reverted given that it's the only way we know how to make Model 3 alpha blending work correctly. What resolution are you running at? Your GPU seems plenty modern enough. Did you look into driver settings as Ian suggested? It's unfortunately difficult to get any insight into what is going on without debugging specifically on your system.

I already commented 1080p. Not 4K or higher as some tried to suggest.

It's no big deal and I am thankful for all of the effort from Ian and yourself. Supermodel at SVN 732 for me is near perfect if not perfect in my eyes.
Sad that this change made Supermodel have performance issues with certain setups, but change, especially a substantial one, is bound to produce problems no?
DarylWise

Postby Bart » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:00 am

FWIW, I do notice slowdown when there are a lot of translucent polygons on screen, even on my desktop machine (unless I run in a reduced resolution like 1024x768). For example, a reliable way to reproduce this is in LA Machineguns. Any time there are lots of explosions on screen (or any explosions at all on my laptop with Intel graphics regardless of resolution), there is a noticeable hiccup in the frame rate. I'll have to have Ian explain the new rendering pipeline to me one day but he's spent a lot of time on this and I would be surprised if there are any easy fixes.

This is unfortunately the usual trade-off in emulation: better accuracy means worse performance.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby DarylWise » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:10 am

Bart wrote:FWIW, I do notice slowdown when there are a lot of translucent polygons on screen, even on my desktop machine (unless I run in a reduced resolution like 1024x768). For example, a reliable way to reproduce this is in LA Machineguns. Any time there are lots of explosions on screen (or any explosions at all on my laptop with Intel graphics regardless of resolution), there is a noticeable hiccup in the frame rate. I'll have to have Ian explain the new rendering pipeline to me one day but he's spent a lot of time on this and I would be surprised if there are any easy fixes.

This is unfortunately the usual trade-off in emulation: better accuracy means worse performance.

I understand. At least in the SVNs above 732, to my knowledge, there are no must have or super performance/rendering enhancements that the games I play on Supermodel need.
I have not seen one issue (except for a hiccup noise when the music loops in SWTA) in any game I have thrown at it.
All run 1080p/60fps locked in widescreen. Makes me drool just thinking about it! LOL!
DarylWise

Postby ark216 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:59 am

ark216 wrote:Guys i just tried the latest build of Supermodel emulator SVN r741, but i am getting slow downs (massive frame rate drops) in certain areas in the games i tested most notably in Sega Rally 2, a few in Daytona 2 and Scud Race. Did not test other games.

Regards.

Thanks will check the recommended build and get back to you.
ark216

Postby Ian » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:33 am

Bart wrote:FWIW, I do notice slowdown when there are a lot of translucent polygons on screen, even on my desktop machine (unless I run in a reduced resolution like 1024x768). For example, a reliable way to reproduce this is in LA Machineguns. Any time there are lots of explosions on screen (or any explosions at all on my laptop with Intel graphics regardless of resolution), there is a noticeable hiccup in the frame rate. I'll have to have Ian explain the new rendering pipeline to me one day but he's spent a lot of time on this and I would be surprised if there are any easy fixes.

What desktop gpu do you have? I have a nvidia gtx 960, 3 years old maybe? Not sure. But i get basically 60fps solid regardless of resolution etc.
The changes that I think are slowing down DarylWise are the frame buffer emulation. But that should really have a constant effect on the load regardless of how many polys are being rendered. Without accurate frame buffer emulation transparency is a total mess.
Ian

PreviousNext

Return to The Catwalk