Supermodel Latest Builds for Download (currently SVN 775)

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Re: Supermodel Latest Builds for Download (currently SVN 741

Postby ark216 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:33 am

DarylWise wrote:
Bart wrote:It would be great if you guys could record videos and point out exactly where the slowdowns occur as well as precisely which SVN revision broke.

For me like I said, it was after SVN 732. The Harley Davidson and Star Wars games on any SVN after 732 lag for me. Harley was the worst, and SWTA had slowdowns here and there.

When I get a chance I will record gameplay with my iPhone any SVN above 732 to show you. Doing it with my iPhone to that you don't blame the lag on the direct capture software.

I clicked on this link but Svn r732 is not in the list.
Can someone provide me a direct link?
ark216

Postby ark216 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:35 am

ark216 wrote:
DarylWise wrote:
Bart wrote:It would be great if you guys could record videos and point out exactly where the slowdowns occur as well as precisely which SVN revision broke.

For me like I said, it was after SVN 732. The Harley Davidson and Star Wars games on any SVN after 732 lag for me. Harley was the worst, and SWTA had slowdowns here and there.

When I get a chance I will record gameplay with my iPhone any SVN above 732 to show you. Doing it with my iPhone to that you don't blame the lag on the direct capture software.

I clicked on this link https://www.mediafire.com/folder/imf9hw ... odel+Debug but Svn r732 is not in the list.
Can someone provide me a direct link?
ark216

Postby ark216 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:14 am

I did some testing on SVN r727 and it fixed the problems for me mostly. However one major slowdown i faced while testing out Daytona 2 BOTE was when my car collided with an incoming flipping/tossing car.The moment of that collision tanked my frame rate considerably.
System Specs:
i7 3770 (4.1 Ghz),AMD R9290,8GB RAM 1800 Mhz.

Gaming on a 1080p Resolution.
ark216

Postby Bart » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:31 pm

Ian wrote:
Bart wrote:FWIW, I do notice slowdown when there are a lot of translucent polygons on screen, even on my desktop machine (unless I run in a reduced resolution like 1024x768). For example, a reliable way to reproduce this is in LA Machineguns. Any time there are lots of explosions on screen (or any explosions at all on my laptop with Intel graphics regardless of resolution), there is a noticeable hiccup in the frame rate. I'll have to have Ian explain the new rendering pipeline to me one day but he's spent a lot of time on this and I would be surprised if there are any easy fixes.

This is unfortunately the usual trade-off in emulation: better accuracy means worse performance.

What desktop gpu do you have? I have a nvidia gtx 960, 3 years old maybe? Not sure. But i get basically 60fps solid regardless of resolution etc.
The changes that I think are slowing down DarylWise are the frame buffer emulation. But that should really have a constant effect on the load regardless of how many polys are being rendered. Without accurate frame buffer emulation transparency is a total mess.

I've also got a GTX 960. Try out LA Machineguns, full screen, wide screen, 1920x1080. Try the Alcatraz mission. You should see the frame rate drop when enemies blow up. It's very consistent. The fact that running at a lower resolution alleviates it makes me wonder whether it's something with the fragment shader? Is the translucent pathway slower?

EDIT: the problem seems to occur with quad rendering enabled. Without it, it runs much more smoothly.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Ian » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:27 am

Geometry shaders aren't really a fast path of GPUs
http://www.joshbarczak.com/blog/?p=667

Not much I can do to 'fix' this really :) Even a do nothing pass through shader can have quite a negative effect on frame rate
Ian

Postby Bart » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:12 pm

Makes sense — but is there a reason why translucent polygons would compound the problem?
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Ian » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:39 pm

Hard to say exactly without profiling it. And profiling those parts of the code is pretty tricky

One part where I did get super lazy was in the depth calculation (in the quad version)

Code: Select all
      vertex         = projMat * vec4(fsViewVertex,1.0);
      depth         = ((vertex.z * interp_oneOverW) + 1.0) / 2.0;

That's a full vertex * matrix which is expensive in the fragment shader.
That could be optimised to a dot product I think, or maybe just a few multiplications, since we only really need the Z value for the depth. Don't care about the x/y
Ian

Postby Joaquim Gonçalves » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:45 pm

Hi Jit! Can you send me the current version of Supermodel? Thank you!
Update: Tested EmuCR Version it seems is not avaliable yet the new games. :)
Waiting for more releases this christmas... I hope!
Hehe Boy!
Joaquim Gonçalves

Postby doteater » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:57 am

it's been almost 2 months since the last update now , so a temporary solution might be emufrance
nothing negative to say about their builds , imo
http://www.emu-france.com/emulateurs/6- ... model-wip/
just avoid emucr at all costs
doteater

Postby Joaquim Gonçalves » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:24 pm

doteater wrote:it's been almost 2 months since the last update now , so a temporary solution might be emufrance
nothing negative to say about their builds , imo
http://www.emu-france.com/emulateurs/6- ... model-wip/
just avoid emucr at all costs

Runs more slow, it have some different source. :(
But i will wait for the official one.
Hehe Boy!
Joaquim Gonçalves

PreviousNext

Return to The Catwalk