Supermodel Latest Builds for Download (currently SVN 775)

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Re: Supermodel Latest Builds for Download (currently SVN 757

Postby Bart » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:09 am

Mr Thunderwing: the README hasn’t been updated since v0.2a. Games.xml was added more than a year ago. It decouples ROM set definitions from the executable making it possible to add in new ROM sets without needing to build Supermodel. Supermodel now knows nothing about games and relies on Games.xml to load ROMs.

Glad you are one of the few who does read documentation ;) Any suggestion for how a modern document should look? I like READMEs but maybe it ought to be a fancy web page with screenshots? A PDF? Regardless, most people won’t bother and I’ll still receive emails like “I click Supermodel but the window just closes”.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Bart » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:11 am

doteater wrote:at least in my experience , the games.xml file is always in the config folder that comes with every supermodel.zip / 7z bundle

You want -gpu-multi-threaded
-quad-rendering is for high end ish gpus

ah,i thought quad rendering was already default since version 740 ? 745 ? or so
kind of like -new3d became the default after a certain revision back in 2017

also,curious about that -gpu-multi-threaded command
should people with average / below average gpus (750ti / 950-960) use it or is it just for the big boys

GPU multithreading allows Supermodel to potentially use a second core to offload rendering. It should absolutely be used on lower end machines.

But why don’t you just try both and compare frame rates?
Bart
Site Admin

Postby MrThunderwing » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:55 pm

Bart wrote:Mr Thunderwing: the README hasn’t been updated since v0.2a. Games.xml was added more than a year ago. It decouples ROM set definitions from the executable making it possible to add in new ROM sets without needing to build Supermodel. Supermodel now knows nothing about games and relies on Games.xml to load ROMs.

Glad you are one of the few who does read documentation ;) Any suggestion for how a modern document should look? I like READMEs but maybe it ought to be a fancy web page with screenshots? A PDF? Regardless, most people won’t bother and I’ll still receive emails like “I click Supermodel but the window just closes”.

Ha ha, I'd edited my original post as I was able to figure out what I'd needed to do without realising you'd replied here. I still like the README's in text file format myself, I think if they've been well explained you don't need anything too fancy (I always hate it when you get something like a 10 minute 'how to' video on YouTube that's 90% waffle before the information you actually need is revealed in the last minute).
Last edited by MrThunderwing on Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrThunderwing

Postby Bart » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:51 pm

Supermodel’s README is huge. The reference sections always will be. But is it structured well? Apparently, many people can’t seem to understand it.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby MrThunderwing » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:00 pm

I think it's structured well and between it and the FAQs on the main Supermodel site you've got everything covered. I think part of the problem is that some people aren't prepared to put the effort into trying to find things out for themselves.
MrThunderwing

Postby doteater » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:10 am

But why don’t you just try both and compare frame rates?

sorry but why are you somewhat assuming or implying that i won't ?
i didn't even know that command existed until yesterday ; i replied in this thread to ask for more info because i was curious and that's the whole point of the forums
furthermore,i wasn't typing that from my "supermodel pc" so i couldn't test anything in that specific moment anyway

i know you're frustrated about the fact that some users "won't even read the txt file" or check out the help section etc etc
i understand that , it must be really annoying (specially after a couple of years) but i am not one of "those people"

GPU multithreading allows Supermodel to potentially use a second core to offload rendering. It should absolutely be used on lower end machines.

i see , thanks for the explanation

might as well ask a couple more things :
at least at "low resolutions" (let's say at 720p or not above 1080p in any case),is supermodel cpu or gpu bound ? normally i would say cpu but i am not so sure in this case
my 750ti is absolutely low end in 2019 but i'm still getting 60 fps most of the time , even with quad rendering enabled
that's kinda the reason why i asked that question about the gpu multi threaded command - i wanted to understand what is considered "low end" for supermodel
doteater

Postby Ian » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:10 am

supermodel just needs a gui
and unfortunately we work on this for free, in our free time
If i had endless time to burn I'd probably write one
Ian

Postby xbrunox » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:33 am

Hi all
i've download the last release from Spindizzi R766
I've an ATI HD7970 i don't see nothing! i've a total FOG on all the 3d images on all GAMES
probabily is this...

"Composite the alpha layers at the end of rendering. To do this we need to mask the alpha pixels with the opaque pixels from the next priority layer. Fixes some overlapping shadows in vf3tb that have different priority layers. I assume that was a game bug, but it works on the real h/w."

How i can disable it?
xbrunox

Postby ConversusVans » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:41 am

I'm actually having the same problem as the user above has mentioned regarding the fog on all games. However, f I switch to the NVIDIA card on my laptop, the graphics are rendered normally.

Here's an example on H-D LA Riders:
- Conversus W. Vans (Paul)
ConversusVans

Postby Ian » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:42 am

What gfx card do u have?
It's possible the shaders are failing to compile
Never mind, found and fixed it I think
Ian

PreviousNext

Return to The Catwalk