Supermodel Latest Builds for Download (currently SVN 777)

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Re: Supermodel Latest Builds for Download (currently SVN 775

Postby Bart » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:31 pm

artman999999 wrote:Bumping this from December 2018. The Death Star tunnel portion of the Endor bonus level for Star Wars Trilogy is dark (as in, the textures are completely missing) again, and appears to have something to do with the JTAG interface. Ian had said as much in a 3/2018 post, and testing the various versions shows exactly when it broke. The last working revision I can find where it worked with the New3D engine was v647, but on v673 it was dark again. Not surprisingly, commit v672 specifically mentions this JTAG interface and some work that was done with it. I thought I would just stick with v647, but the vast amount of graphical improvements makes it hard to go backwards. Using the legacy renderer DOES show the wall textures, but that's not a great alternative, either.

Lastly - Ian had fixed this (albeit on a temporary level) from New3D v609 by adding this code to New3D v610:

if (m_step > 0x15 && !ph.TranslatorMap()) { // star wars seems to treat the values as unsigned. This logic is guess work
shade = ((ix & 0xFF) / 255.f) + offset;
}
else {
shade = (((ix + 128) & 0xFF) / 255.f) + offset; // dirt devils and mag truck, black seems to come out at 50% brightness instead. Still unknown exactly what effects this
}

If I thought I could just insert that back somewhere in the v775 New3D.cpp and recompile I would do so, but I highly doubt that would work. But I'd fix this myself if I knew which code to put where (assuming it's a simple fix).

I've uploaded a v775 save state to start just as you enter the tunnel, and a reminder that New3DEngine = 1 (or just not in the .ini at all, since it's the default) must be used for the glitch to show. A screen cap of the problem is also attached. Thanks!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/qb3chd7xst1qhaq/swtrilgy.st0/file

Base Profile Screenshot 2019.03.10 - 23.50.07.20.png

Can you make some save states well before this sequence? In particular, it would be especially useful to have a save state before the previous stage ends (that is, the Endor stage, at the end of the boss sequence, before this stage is even triggered). If the JTAG device is accessed for this stage, it may happen before the level is even loaded. I don't see any JTAG writes after loading your state. It is also quite likely that the JTAG configuration applies to the entire game and that there is some other mechanism that is triggering unsigned shading here. An earlier save state might also help us check to see if any of these mysterious "translator maps" are loaded for this level.

In the meantime, a fix you can apply that will break shading in other games (and possibly elsewhere in the level) is to open up New3D.cpp and change:

Code: Select all
if (!m_shadeIsSigned) {
   shade = (ix & 0xFF) / 255.f;
}
else {
   shade = BYTE_TO_FLOAT((INT8)(ix & 0xFF));
}

To:

Code: Select all
if (true) {
   shade = (ix & 0xFF) / 255.f;
}
else {
   shade = BYTE_TO_FLOAT((INT8)(ix & 0xFF));
}
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Ian » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:41 am

star wars it the only game to use unsigned fixed shaded values
I didn't change anything in the engine itself I don't think that would have broken this
It's entirely controlled externally by the jtag stuff. I think something must have changed in the xml game definitions or something but I haven't had a chance to look into it yet
Ian

Postby Toshiko » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:29 am

Bart wrote:doteater: You've got a 2.9 GHz CPU. I'm surprised that you are CPU bound like this. Can anyone else with a sub-3GHz CPU chime in about their experience?

The laptops in my house are all 2.8 GHz and under, and even the one with a Quadro FX isn't CPU bound at Model 3 native resolution. Even the 12-year-old Core 2 that craps itself loading down.com isn't CPU bound.
Toshiko

Postby doteater » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:04 am

fwiw,using older revs (well,until 755 anyway),i can video capture using fraps (not exactly a lightweight program) at 992x768,66 frequency,and still maintain 60fps +
so it's not like i was barely hitting 60 fps before :x
doteater

Postby Bart » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:20 am

What happens when you run the legacy rendering engine?
Bart
Site Admin

Postby doteater » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:33 am

Bart wrote:What happens when you run the legacy rendering engine?

by using this

supermodel vf3tb.zip -legacy3d -res=992,768 -fullscreen -ppc-frequency=66

i get this

https://streamable.com/fntm3

so,yes,still no good / slowdown city
doteater

Postby Bart » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:44 am

I wonder if the gcc version would perform better. Want to try following the build instructions I posted? :) Something isn’t adding up here.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby doteater » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:09 am

Bart wrote:I wonder if the gcc version would perform better. Want to try following the build instructions I posted? :) Something isn’t adding up here.

it's something i have never done or attempted before
it's a little scary but i will consider it the moment we run out of options or ideas :oops:

how likely it is that this particular version (built by jitter) is to blame somehow ?
in any case , to rule that out , tomorrow i will try using emufrance's (?!!) r775
doteater

Postby Bart » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:40 pm

There should be no netboard overhead for games without network emulation. I glanced at the code and it seems not to run in those cases. The other thing is that gcc should have a better optimizer than Visual Studio. I wouldn’t expect a noticeable bump ordinarily but then again, I would not expect it to perform so poorly to begin with on your system. It’s one important variable we can eliminate.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby LeSpank » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:36 pm

https://youtu.be/7mHS_pQ7wRw

Made a quick video to show SVN 775 running on my machine. Just posting to show performance issues even running at low resolutions, the most recent one that runs at 60fps is SVN 714 from about a year ago. If there is any more information I can provide to assist please let me know.
LeSpank

PreviousNext

Return to The Catwalk