Daytona USA Returns To The Arcade!

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Re: Daytona USA Returns To The Arcade!

Postby isamu » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:58 am

Last week Team VVV had the chance to try the the latest version of the WIP game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdk_Xe0tTc8&t=0s

First of all, before ripping this game a new one, I just wanna give a huge, HUGE and VERY SINCERE round of applause and thank you to Alan for these impressions and video. Wow Alan, I've seen a lot of your videos but this is by far my favorite one yet! Absolutely CRACKING job my friend!! I can feel your passion and honesty and know exactly where you're coming from!

Now, after watching the video, I'm having quite a difficult time disagreeing with your points. I mean holy shit.....the handling looks fucking dire! What the hell are these muppets doing? Why is there a fucking Grand Canyon-sized deadzone in the steering? What's with the Daytona 2001 Network Edition-esque car handling? The way the car is moving looks straight out of the DC game. And the worst offender to me personally...up/down sequential shifting????? Like, are you fucking kidding me Sega???? Who the fuck decided it was a good idea to put sequential shifting into this iconic franchise? Part of what gave the original its identity was the 4-way gear box, and the different ways you can go about drifiting using the 4-1-3-4 strategy. Holy shit did they *EVER* fuck this up!

Man I dunno....if they don't overhaul this game and quickly, it could end up being of the biggest disappointments of 2017. Sega really has lost their way. I almost don't want them to bother with OutRun 3 at this point. I can imagine them fucking that up even more!
isamu

Postby Shekel » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:21 am

It's really difficult watching a video when right at the beginning he says he's played 100's of hours of Daytona and then doesn't realise what's wrong with his gears as soon as he has control. It always tells you to shift into 4th. Then it's evident he doesn't know how to play with gears at all when it comes to any of the gear corners. Shame, but I'll continue watching a bit more.

I'll agree with the graphics having a lack of identity. They feel so behind the times and I actually think some of the old arcade charm is lost because of the modern screens.
Shekel

Postby MrThunderwing » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:58 am

isamu wrote:Last week Team VVV had the chance to try the the latest version of the WIP game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdk_Xe0tTc8&t=0s

First of all, before ripping this game a new one, I just wanna give a huge, HUGE and VERY SINCERE round of applause and thank you to Alan for these impressions and video. Wow Alan, I've seen a lot of your videos but this is by far my favorite one yet! Absolutely CRACKING job my friend!! I can feel your passion and honesty and know exactly where you're coming from!

Now, after watching the video, I'm having quite a difficult time disagreeing with your points. I mean holy shit.....the handling looks fucking dire! What the hell are these muppets doing? Why is there a fucking Grand Canyon-sized deadzone in the steering? What's with the Daytona 2001 Network Edition-esque car handling? The way the car is moving looks straight out of the DC game. And the worst offender to me personally...up/down sequential shifting????? Like, are you fucking kidding me Sega???? Who the fuck decided it was a good idea to put sequential shifting into this iconic franchise? Part of what gave the original its identity was the 4-way gear box, and the different ways you can go about drifiting using the 4-1-3-4 strategy. Holy shit did they *EVER* fuck this up!

Man I dunno....if they don't overhaul this game and quickly, it could end up being of the biggest disappointments of 2017. Sega really has lost their way. I almost don't want them to bother with OutRun 3 at this point. I can imagine them fucking that up even more!

My thought's exactly Isamu. How could Sega fuck this up so badly...? Seems like whoever's developing this over at Sega are more interested in pointless (and expensive) gimmicks like the stupid face cameras than in actually making a decent game. I am so disappointed. Surely Sega must understand the importance of this title? Why would they let some shitty in house development team half-arse it like this??
MrThunderwing

Postby Ian » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:55 am

Maybe you should be more disappointed when you actually try the game :) I got some of his criticisms, ie the dead-zone in the steering wheel. Personally I think the graphics looked pretty good. But I didn't get the need to put the annoying line from the car, to the person in the race. That seemed a bit ugly.
Ian

Postby terminento » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:48 am

I know, right? It feels like a polygon is glitching out or something
terminento

Previous

Return to The Catwalk