Sega Bass Fishing - Optimal Controls, Future updates

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Sega Bass Fishing - Optimal Controls, Future updates

Postby Trojan X » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:33 pm

Hi guys,

I got SEGA Bass Fish running nicely thanks to the newer 3D engine (fantastic work), unfortunately, I cannot get any of the controls working on the game. Do you guy have a config suggestion that you could provide to me? Possibly put do a copy and paste here so it can work via the Xbox Pad? The only thing I got working was the Coin Insert that is assigned to the Select button. Those that managed to get the game working with the Wii-Mote or even with the Dreamcast fishing rod, I would love to know how to got that working. My current config is the following:

[ Global ]

;****
;*** User preferences
;****

XResolution = 7040
YResolution = 1600
Throttle = 0
WideScreen = 1
MusicVolume = 90
New3DEngine = 1

;****
;*** General input configuration
;****

InputStart1 = "JOY1_BUTTON10"
InputStart2 = "KEY_2"
InputCoin1 = "KEY_S"
InputCoin2 = "JOY1_BUTTON7"
InputServiceA = "KEY_R"
InputServiceB = "KEY_F2"
InputTestA = "KEY_T"
InputTestB = "KEY_Y"
InputJoyDown = "JOY1_POV1_DOWN"
InputJoyDown2 = "JOY2_POV1_DOWN"
InputJoyLeft = "JOY1_POV1_LEFT"
InputJoyLeft2 = "JOY2_POV1_LEFT"
InputJoyRight = "JOY1_POV1_RIGHT"
InputJoyRight2 = "JOY2_POV1_RIGHT"
InputJoyUp = "JOY1_POV1_UP"
InputJoyUp2 = "JOY2_POV1_UP"
InputEscape = "JOY1_BUTTON5"
InputEscape2 = "JOY2_BUTTON1"
InputGuard = "JOY1_BUTTON1"
InputGuard2 = "JOY2_BUTTON3"
InputKick = "JOY1_BUTTON3"
InputKick2 = "JOY2_BUTTON2"
InputPunch = "JOY1_BUTTON4"
InputPunch2 = "JOY2_BUTTON4"
InputBeat = "JOY1_BUTTON4"
InputCharge = "JOY1_BUTTON3"
InputJump = "JOY1_BUTTON5"
InputShift = "JOY1_BUTTON1"
InputLongPass = "JOY2_BUTTON3"
InputLongPass2 = "JOY1_BUTTON4"
InputShortPass = "JOY2_BUTTON4"
InputShortPass2 = "JOY1_BUTTON3"
InputShoot = "JOY2_BUTTON1"
InputShoot2 = "JOY1_BUTTON1"
InputSteering = "JOY1_XAXIS"
InputSteeringLeft = "JOY1_XAXIS_NEG"
InputSteeringRight = "JOY1_XAXIS_POS"
InputBrake = "JOY1_ZAXIS_POS"
InputAccelerator = "JOY1_ZAXIS_NEG"
InputGearShift1 = "JOY1_BUTTON3"
InputGearShift2 = "JOY1_BUTTON1"
InputGearShift3 = "JOY1_BUTTON4"
InputGearShift4 = "JOY1_BUTTON2"
InputGearShiftN = "JOY1_BUTTON10"
InputGearShiftDown = "JOY1_BUTTON5"
InputGearShiftUp = "JOY1_BUTTON6"
InputVR1 = "JOY1_POV1_UP"
InputVR2 = "JOY1_POV1_RIGHT"
InputVR3 = "JOY1_POV1_DOWN"
InputVR4 = "JOY1_POV1_LEFT"
InputViewChange = "JOY1_POV1_UP"
InputHandBrake = "JOY1_BUTTON6"
InputTwinJoyCrouch = "JOY1_YAXIS_POS+JOY1_RYAXIS_POS"
InputTwinJoyForward = "JOY1_YAXIS_NEG"
InputTwinJoyJump = "JOY1_YAXIS_NEG+JOY1_RYAXIS_NEG"
InputTwinJoyReverse = "JOY1_YAXIS_POS"
InputTwinJoyStrafeLeft = "JOY1_RXAXIS_NEG"
InputTwinJoyStrafeRight = "JOY1_RXAXIS_POS"
InputTwinJoyTurnLeft = "JOY1_XAXIS_NEG"
InputTwinJoyTurnRight = "JOY1_XAXIS_POS"
InputTwinJoyDown1 = "JOY1_YAXIS_POS"
InputTwinJoyDown2 = "JOY1_RYAXIS_POS"
InputTwinJoyLeft1 = "JOY1_XAXIS_NEG"
InputTwinJoyLeft2 = "JOY1_RXAXIS_NEG"
InputTwinJoyRight1 = "JOY1_XAXIS_POS"
InputTwinJoyRight2 = "JOY1_RXAXIS_POS"
InputTwinJoyUp1 = "JOY1_YAXIS_NEG"
InputTwinJoyUp2 = "JOY1_RYAXIS_NEG"
InputTwinJoyShot1 = "JOY1_ZAXIS_POS"
InputTwinJoyShot2 = "JOY1_ZAXIS_NEG"
InputTwinJoyTurbo1 = "JOY1_BUTTON5"
InputTwinJoyTurbo2 = "JOY1_BUTTON6"
InputAnalogJoyDown = "JOY1_YAXIS_POS"
InputAnalogJoyLeft = "JOY1_XAXIS_NEG"
InputAnalogJoyRight = "JOY1_XAXIS_POS"
InputAnalogJoyUp = "JOY1_YAXIS_NEG"
InputAnalogJoyX = "JOY1_XAXIS_INV"
InputAnalogJoyY = "JOY1_YAXIS_INV"
InputAnalogJoyTrigger = "JOY1_ZAXIS_NEG"
InputAnalogJoyEvent = "JOY1_BUTTON8"
InputGunDown = "MOUSE_YAXIS"
InputGunLeft = "MOUSE_XAXIS"
InputGunRight = "MOUSE_XAXIS"
InputGunUp = "MOUSE_YAXIS"
InputGunX = "MOUSE_XAXIS,JOY1_XAXIS"
InputGunX2 = "JOY1_ZAXIS_INV"
InputGunY = "MOUSE_YAXIS,JOY1_YAXIS"
InputGunY2 = "JOY1_ZAXIS_INV"
InputOffscreen = "MOUSE_RIGHT_BUTTON"
InputOffscreen2 = "KEY_KEYPADPERIOD"
InputTrigger = "MOUSE_LEFT_BUTTON"
InputTrigger2 = "KEY_KEYPAD0"
InputAutoTrigger = 0
InputAutoTrigger2 = 0

Also, when the game is running tri-monitors (monitor setup is 2560x1600 + 2560x1600 + 1920x1080px). From the demo, the game looks incredible but it does have problems such as the sky map restriction and water reflections reflecting that sky. Any thoughts on what might be done eventually for this fabalous game so it can display everything in full like in Scud Race and Daytona? Check out the images attached - Note that the black border on the third right of the image is due to the 1920x1080px monitor.
Attachments
c.jpg
c.jpg (208.76 KiB) Viewed 741 times
b.jpg
b.jpg (249.25 KiB) Viewed 741 times
Trojan X

Re: Sega Bass Fishing - Optimal Controls, Future updates

Postby Shekel » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:56 pm

I've never even tried to play the game so I can't say if a Wiimote will work but I can see that you've used SupermodelUI and you can't set them with that.

Run with the command line and the option -config-inputs. There you can define rod controls at the end, along with Magical Truck Adventure and Ski Champ. Press q to save.

The use another loader because the next time you make changes with SupermodelUI, it'll probably erase those newer controls.
Shekel

Postby Trojan X » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:15 pm

Shekel wrote:I've never even tried to play the game so I can't say if a Wiimote will work but I can see that you've used SupermodelUI and you can't set them with that.

Run with the command line and the option -config-inputs. There you can define rod controls at the end, along with Magical Truck Adventure and Ski Champ. Press q to save.

The use another loader because the next time you make changes with SupermodelUI, it'll probably erase those newer controls.

Understood! What loader would you recommend?

I'd like using SupermodelUI because it's the only loader that allows me to play VF3 at the proper speed. I never was able to get everything working in other forms unless I did something wrong without realising.
Trojan X

Postby Shekel » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:25 pm

I use LaunchBox, some use Emuloader, some run with bat files.

If you're using different ppc frequencies with certain games, you can set them in the Supermodel.ini

PowerPCFrequency = xx
in the Global section affects all games, but you can set up per-game options underneath all of that, like

[ vf3 ]
PowerPCFrequency = whatever
and even resolution, renderer, sound options etc
Shekel

Postby Trojan X » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:47 am

Shekel wrote:I use LaunchBox, some use Emuloader, some run with bat files.

If you're using different ppc frequencies with certain games, you can set them in the Supermodel.ini

PowerPCFrequency = xx
in the Global section affects all games, but you can set up per-game options underneath all of that, like

[ vf3 ]
PowerPCFrequency = whatever
and even resolution, renderer, sound options etc

Thanks. Those suggestions worked. Unfortunately, I cannot get the best controller configuration for Sega Bass Fishing still... It would be great if someone can provide the best setting for me so I can play the game using the Xbox controller.

Anyone got any word on the graphics side as highlighted in the images?
Trojan X

Postby Bart » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:54 am

Regarding the background, it's a 2D tile map layer similar to VF3, and therefore not supported in widescreen mode. There is no easy solution for these because there is not a universal stretch or repeat mode that works for all scenarios. The way that the Model 2 emulator handles this is with custom per-game scripts.

As for controls, I hooked up something simple but it may not work great. I'm not completely sure if I understand the control scheme properly. I'll try to post a config I used to test when I get home but it seemed finicky and I could very well have hooked up the controls incorrectly. It would be very helpful to have someone take a look and confirm whether they are right or now.

Also, coincidentally, I bought a Sega Bass Fishing board off of eBay a few months ago and finally got to test it two days ago at home in Nevada. It works :) It's useful as a backup board to VF3, which is now somewhat damaged due to my multiple re-insertions of the EPROMs. I only have the PCB and don't have the actual arcade unit and fishing rod controls, though. I may use the board in the future for running experiments.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Trojan X » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:06 am

Thanks for chiming in, Bart. Ah, I suspected that Get Bass suffer from the same case as VF3. If you guys can somehow figure it out that would be a real blessing.

I'll continue to do more experiments with the best Get Bass Xbox controller setup from my end too. I'll post up my finding if i figure out a setup that works best. Meanwhile, here are some controller setups that I found from the console & PC version of the game (Playstation version missing) which should help those that are trying to think of the best setting for their own controller:

Steam Controller Setup - Xbox 360 version should be the same

Dreamcast Fishing Rod Setup
The Dreamcast Fishing Controller is shaped like a fishing rod, though lacks a line at the end. A, B, X, Y and Start buttons are mounted on the top of the unit along with an analogue stick, and unique to this device is a fishing reel on the right hand side, which can be turned to reel in fish. The controller also has basic motion sensing capabilities, being able to detect when the device is moved left, right, up or down. The controller also vibrates if a fish is caught.

Wii Pad Setup - Attached (shown below)
Attachments
wii control.jpg
wii control.jpg (245.68 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Trojan X

Postby Bart » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:09 am

I'll see what I can do but the problem is that the Model 3 inputs are arranged a certain way. We don't have complete freedom to remap them to a more natural format for game pads, for example.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby zergslayer69 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:45 pm

That's some insane screenshot with the triple monitor. Does this global ini control scheme affect other games in any negative way?
zergslayer69

Postby Trojan X » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:16 am

VF3 is a victim of the Triple Monitor setup though it isn't bad as Get Bass Fishing where the water reflects the sky. Therefore stages such as Lion's looks incredible via a Triple Monitor setup. Honestly, it's a sight to behold. Sarah's stage looks great too especially when the trains come at the start of the round, it looks fantastic!

Really want to nail the controls of SEGA Bass but the problem I am having now is that via the Xbox pad. When I set the fishing rod to the left analogue stick, I am unable to move the rod up & down and the rod is continuously moving to the left. Disaster! This makes the game practically unplayable.
I'm going to try and see if I can get everything configured using the Dual Shock 3. Crossing fingers as this game needs analogue controls.
Trojan X

Next

Return to The Catwalk