How's the development going?

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

How's the development going?

Postby Pedro Pablo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:22 pm

Hi everyone

I've joined to the forum to talk about supermodel and it's games (im a big fan of dayton but i never played battle of the edge, at least i've played star wars trilogy and scud when i was a child, good old times), also to make some development, im still a newbie at coding but i've got some telemetry from games using memory reading and i'm trying to the same in daytona 2 power edition. So, i'm kinda worried about the actual hiatus of supermodel, i didn't have any news since the last svn version.
Pedro Pablo

Re: How's the development going?

Postby Bart » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:30 pm

All progress is committed to SVN with the exception of a config and ROM loading rewrite I'm working on. I haven't actually touched it in a couple weeks, so the answer is that progress is painfully slow. Ian is also busy but is occasionally looking at some important things. Sorry that we can't give a better update than that right now :(
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Ian » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:26 pm

I did some work over Christmas to solve the near/far clipping plane calculation. But my plans were derailed somewhat due to Sega rally not having any valid node distances for the top level nodes, which made my far plane calculation not work. I've tried a whole bunch of things to fix this issue, the only thing I haven't tried is manually clipping the polys against the view frustum in software. I am pretty sure it would work, I'm just worried about the CPU hit. Hopefully the subset of polys will be small enough as to not be too expensive on the CPU.

But currently I am pretty short of time due to real life. When I have some time again I'll probably have another go in the future.

Thanks to Ville Linde I did identify some potential CPU bugs to do with floating point and division by zero. Really edge cases. Once a div by zero happens, it creates an infinity float value, which when multiplied by anything causes more infinities. This value ends up corrupting a good chunk of the float data in magical truck adventure in attract mode. I don't have a good enough grasp of the spec or the time to really look into this to fix it currently.
Ian

Postby Pedro Pablo » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:27 pm

Glad to see the development is still rolling. For me i'm trying to get some data from Daytona 2 PE and get working an app to show some telemetry, but also i want to debug the emulator and find some bugs. IDK how to do that but for now i'll wait the next revision ;)
Pedro Pablo

Return to The Catwalk