How does SEGA feel about there arcade games being emulated?

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

  • No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

How does SEGA feel about there arcade games being emulated?

Postby ferrarifan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:42 am

Hello everyone,i have a question. Do you think SEGA and other companies impressed about Supermodel 3? or they don't encourage emulation at all like MAME for example? Just making sure. :)
User avatar
ferrarifan
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: How does SEGA feel about there arcade games being emulat

Postby lasean walker » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:51 am

I have know idea. I think there ok with emulation. I think the guys behind Supermodel can answer that question. :D
User avatar
lasean walker
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:29 am

Re: How does SEGA feel about there arcade games being emulat

Postby MrThunderwing » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:51 pm

ferrarifan wrote:Hello everyone,i have a question. Do you think SEGA and other companies impressed about Supermodel 3? or they don't encourage emulation at all like MAME for example? Just making sure. :)


People at Sega might be impressed individually with the technicalities of reverse engineering the Model 3 board to run on a modern PC, but as a corporation they would condone the use of emulators of any sort. Why? Read this:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/02/17/the-legal ... e-3480905/
User avatar
MrThunderwing
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:31 am
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: How does SEGA feel about there arcade games being emulat

Postby ferrarifan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:20 pm

MrThunderwing wrote:
ferrarifan wrote:Hello everyone,i have a question. Do you think SEGA and other companies impressed about Supermodel 3? or they don't encourage emulation at all like MAME for example? Just making sure. :)


People at Sega might be impressed individually with the technicalities of reverse engineering the Model 3 board to run on a modern PC, but as a corporation they would condone the use of emulators of any sort. Why? Read this:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/02/17/the-legal ... e-3480905/
Awesome article about emulation. :) Now some people should understand why emulation is legal.
User avatar
ferrarifan
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: How does SEGA feel about there arcade games being emulat

Postby Toshiko » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:35 pm

Sega has a history of taking notice of projects that emulate their hardware, and hiring their authors to make it an official Sega product. It's been a while since they've done this, but there's certainly been a precedent set. More recent examples are actually that of fan projects that either modify games or try to rebuild them entirely, which has also resulted in the authors either being hired or contracted by Sega. It's not an impossibility that Sega are aware of Supermodel and simply view it as a potential money maker down the road.
Toshiko
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:30 am

Re: How does SEGA feel about there arcade games being emulat

Postby ConversusVans » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:57 pm

Toshiko wrote:Sega has a history of taking notice of projects that emulate their hardware, and hiring their authors to make it an official Sega product. It's been a while since they've done this, but there's certainly been a precedent set. More recent examples are actually that of fan projects that either modify games or try to rebuild them entirely, which has also resulted in the authors either being hired or contracted by Sega. It's not an impossibility that Sega are aware of Supermodel and simply view it as a potential money maker down the road.


Granted has quite a few source codes for games became lost, it seems that SEGA of Japan appreciates the preservation of certain games like House of the Dead 1 being emulated in Model 2 Emulator. If you go to the SEGA Arcade History website, you can see screenshots of HotD from Model 2 Emulator. I heard the source code for that game was lost (hence no home port of it since the Saturn/PC incarnations), but a part of me thinks that the game was considered outdated.
- Conversus W. Vans (Paul)
User avatar
ConversusVans
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:27 pm
Location: The Abandoned Land

Re: How does SEGA feel about there arcade games being emulat

Postby ferrarifan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:35 pm

ConversusVans wrote:
Toshiko wrote:Sega has a history of taking notice of projects that emulate their hardware, and hiring their authors to make it an official Sega product. It's been a while since they've done this, but there's certainly been a precedent set. More recent examples are actually that of fan projects that either modify games or try to rebuild them entirely, which has also resulted in the authors either being hired or contracted by Sega. It's not an impossibility that Sega are aware of Supermodel and simply view it as a potential money maker down the road.


Granted has quite a few source codes for games became lost, it seems that SEGA of Japan appreciates the preservation of certain games like House of the Dead 1 being emulated in Model 2 Emulator. If you go to the SEGA Arcade History website, you can see screenshots of HotD from Model 2 Emulator. I heard the source code for that game was lost (hence no home port of it since the Saturn/PC incarnations), but a part of me thinks that the game was considered outdated.
I saw pictures from the SEGA arcade history website of Daytona 2 on Supermodel
User avatar
ferrarifan
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: How does SEGA feel about there arcade games being emulat

Postby MrThunderwing » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:17 am

Toshiko wrote:Sega has a history of taking notice of projects that emulate their hardware, and hiring their authors to make it an official Sega product. It's been a while since they've done this, but there's certainly been a precedent set. More recent examples are actually that of fan projects that either modify games or try to rebuild them entirely, which has also resulted in the authors either being hired or contracted by Sega. It's not an impossibility that Sega are aware of Supermodel and simply view it as a potential money maker down the road.


Apparently Elsemi got hired by Sega off the back of his work on Model 2 Emulator and rumour has it he had a hand in the last gen console versions of Daytona USA. It doesn't always work out well for the authors of Sega related fan projects though, Streets of Rage Remake got shut down, rather than embraced by Sega.
User avatar
MrThunderwing
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:31 am
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: How does SEGA feel about there arcade games being emulat

Postby Trojan X » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:30 pm

I tell you all a secret. With myself being based in Japan, I am much closer to my friends that work in a very high position in Sega Japan (they have worked there for over 20 yrs, Directors, and Seniors) than ever before. We've been friends for over several years. So, let me just say this...

I don't know how wild spread the knowledge of Supermodel is throughout the Sega corporation, but my close friends along with several others are fully aware of Supermodel and they love it to bits! During Christmas, we were playing Scud Race and Daytona USA 2 on my triple multi-monitor screens at my home and they were going insane. We were playing for hours and itching for multi-players network race. To make it crazier, two of my friends work in AM2 and Sonic Team so I won't say any further than that, just in case.

So I think the real answer is this... Many people at SEGA are aware but I doubt that everyone else is aware. Many people at Sega Japan are gamers so, in this case, they won't say anything and they won't act (for the better) until everything is stable and complete. They have no interest what so ever to do anything negative to the project because the team behind it are doing wonders that they simply have "no time" to do whatsoever. I.e. Supermodel is GOOD for Sega so, for now, they are just waiting... Waiting to reverse engineer, waiting to hire once all is nailed, waiting to use certain object codes, who knows... but they are waiting and it will be a positive move and not a negative one. ... unless there is an idiot at Sega Corporate Law department and insist for doomsday but that haven't happened yet and I incredibly doubt that anything would otherwise it would have happened already. Remember, this is Sega Japan, not Sega West I'm talking about here.
Trojan X
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:03 am

Re: How does SEGA feel about there arcade games being emulat

Postby Toshiko » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:21 pm

MrThunderwing wrote:Streets of Rage Remake got shut down, rather than embraced by Sega.

Yeah, I was hoping that would resurface as an official product, but nothing's come of it yet. That's really the only sad example I can think of, though.
Toshiko
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:30 am

Next

Return to The Catwalk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests