20 Years of The House of the Dead

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

20 Years of The House of the Dead

Postby ConversusVans » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:15 pm

Hello there, everyone! This isn't a Model 3 game, but I figured since MrThunderwing did a thread about the 30th anniversary of the After Burner series, I figured why not dedicate one to another iconic arcade shooter series that's having an anniversary :P

I've been playing a lot of House of the Dead 1 lately, mostly in Model 2 Emulator. I don't have much access to the real arcade machine anymore, though. :( I never realized how fun the game actually is, blasting zombies in their face, and going for the best ending with Sophie Richards. This month in 2017 marks the official 20th anniversary in Japan (the Japanese flyer & operators manual says March 1997). What's everyone's take on the series? The first is my favorite, but the 2nd one was great as well (although very hard to beat with a single credit). I haven't played 3 or 4 that much, but 4 was only ported to the PS3, outside the arcade. :\
Last edited by ConversusVans on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Conversus W. Vans (Paul)
ConversusVans

Re: 20 Years of The House of the Dead

Postby MichaelMichael54321 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:39 pm

ConversusVans wrote:What's everyone's take on the series?

Well, I'll be delighted to share my thoughts with you, then.
The shooting genre of video games isn't really my type, as I'm not really skilled with aiming pretty well. I never thought Sega would compete against Konami's Silent Hill with one of their own in the arcades. I played a few times, but mostly I sucked due to me not aiming well--sometimes I will get lucky headshot kills, then there's times I miss completely by some mere units.

ConversusVans wrote:I haven't played 3 or 4 that much, but 4 was only released to the PS3. :\

Me neither. Where I live, at one end of a university campus, there's an arcade which has both House of the Dead 3 (2 player deluxe cabinet) and House of the Dead 4 (single player), so I don't know where you got the info of HotD 4 being a PS3-exclusive...
MichaelMichael54321 wrote:"You haven't seen SEGA's arcade success like this...Sega Model 3"

My gaming rig specs, courtesy of CPU-Z:
http://valid.x86.fr/i35lsi
MichaelMichael54321

Postby ConversusVans » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:01 pm

MichaelMichael54321 wrote:
ConversusVans wrote:What's everyone's take on the series?

Well, I'll be delighted to share my thoughts with you, then.
The shooting genre of video games isn't really my type, as I'm not really skilled with aiming pretty well. I never thought Sega would compete against Konami's Silent Hill with one of their own in the arcades. I played a few times, but mostly I sucked due to me not aiming well--sometimes I will get lucky headshot kills, then there's times I miss completely by some mere units.

ConversusVans wrote:I haven't played 3 or 4 that much, but 4 was only released to the PS3. :\

Me neither. Where I live, at one end of a university campus, there's an arcade which has both House of the Dead 3 (2 player deluxe cabinet) and House of the Dead 4 (single player), so I don't know where you got the info of HotD 4 being a PS3-exclusive...

No... I know there was an arcade version of HotD 4. It was only "ported" to the PS3, I meant. My bad there.
And yeah. I mastered Harley-Davidson & LA Riders before I knew a zombie's weakpoint in HotD. :p
ConversusVans

Postby MichaelMichael54321 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:33 pm

ConversusVans wrote: I mastered Harley-Davidson & LA Riders before I knew a zombie's weakpoint in HotD. :p

If only I had a coincidence as crazy as that. I don't recall myself having mastered an entire game before I even came across an entity of another game.

The only thing I can think of came close was me trying out the first HotD (and failing horribly) while coming across many Daytona USA 2 runs on Youtube on how fast they do it compared to my original runs, because of the boost start on the Advanced, Expert, and even Challenge/Mix.
MichaelMichael54321 wrote:"You haven't seen SEGA's arcade success like this...Sega Model 3"

My gaming rig specs, courtesy of CPU-Z:
http://valid.x86.fr/i35lsi
MichaelMichael54321

Postby MrThunderwing » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:47 pm

I'm a big House of the Dead fan. Although I owned a light gun for my Saturn I never bought the original game, mainly because I thought the Saturn version looked like a bit of a shitty port (Virtua Cop 1 and 2 were ace though). I bought an official light gun specially for my Dreamcast for the second HOTD game (I believe you couldn't get these official DC guns in the US, unlike us in Europe). I've also still got two light guns for my original Xbox(s) for House of the Dead 3 (which also included the second game as an awesome unlockable bonus) complete with a CRT TV to use them on. Despite this though, I did end up re-buying House of the Dead 3 when it came out on the PS3 together with House of the Dead 4 and House of the Dead Overkill for my PS Moves. The PS3 version of Overkill is slightly gimped though (compared to the Wii version) as it doesn't show you where the weak point on the boss is that you're supposed to be shooting. I do like the whole faux grindhouse thing that Overkill's got going on, but you can tell the gameplay's not as polished as if it had been made in-house by Sega of old.

I've actually uploaded a couple of House of the Dead playthroughs in the past:

House of the Dead 4 (PS3) Dual gun gameplay

House of the Dead 3 - 2 Player (PS3) with PS Moves
MrThunderwing

Postby ConversusVans » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:27 pm

MrThunderwing wrote:I'm a big House of the Dead fan. Although I owned a light gun for my Saturn I never bought the original game, mainly because I thought the Saturn version looked like a bit of a shitty port (Virtua Cop 1 and 2 were ace though). I bought an official light gun specially for my Dreamcast for the second HOTD game (I believe you couldn't get these official DC guns in the US, unlike us in Europe). I've also still got two light guns for my original Xbox(s) for House of the Dead 3 (which also included the second game as an awesome unlockable bonus) complete with a CRT TV to use them on. Despite this though, I did end up re-buying House of the Dead 3 when it came out on the PS3 together with House of the Dead 4 and House of the Dead Overkill for my PS Moves. The PS3 version of Overkill is slightly gimped though (compared to the Wii version) as it doesn't show you where the weak point on the boss is that you're supposed to be shooting. I do like the whole faux grindhouse thing that Overkill's got going on, but you can tell the gameplay's not as polished as if it had been made in-house by Sega of old.

I've actually uploaded a couple of House of the Dead playthroughs in the past:

House of the Dead 4 (PS3) Dual gun gameplay

House of the Dead 3 - 2 Player (PS3) with PS Moves

I actually own the Japanese Sega Saturn port of HotD (as well as a 3rd party Act-Labs gun and Virtua Cop). I think alone that it's impressive the game even could remotely run in the Saturn, though the game was pushing Model 2 to its limits. I didn't like the collision detection though. For instance, if you didn't shoot the Hangedman (stage 2 boss) fast enough in the Saturn, he already attacks you making a 1-credit run difficult unlike in the arcade. I've downloaded the Windows PC port, and while it runs like the arcade version, the graphics were still blocky.

Next weekend, I will try to see of visiting Mountasia in Marietta, GA again and attempt to do the 1-credit run. I've got my top score on it from my last visit.

Speaking of which, I also want to hear the House of the Dead 1 music recorded from the real Model 2 arcade PCB. Some of the music sounds so much better compared to the M2 Emulator. I know it's an SCSP issue. Does anyone own the board for it? I don't think Abeladator or uncletom1971 own it, though Tom has HotD 2 for the Naomi system.. I do have a rip of Harley from the PCB though (courtesy of uncletom). :)
ConversusVans

Postby MrThunderwing » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:57 am

Are you a member of BYOAC? There's probably someone there who owns it.
MrThunderwing

Postby MrThunderwing » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:36 am

I've just uploaded a new 2 Player House of the Dead 4 playthrough (using all the alternative branching routes to the previous solo playthrough I uploaded).

House of the Dead 4 - 2 Player (PS3)
MrThunderwing

Postby ConversusVans » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:05 pm

MrThunderwing wrote:I've just uploaded a new 2 Player House of the Dead 4 playthrough (using all the alternative branching routes to the previous solo playthrough I uploaded).

House of the Dead 4 - 2 Player (PS3)

I just saw some of that. I went over to Mountasia today and finally got the 1-credit completion on their House of the Dead 1 machine. Finished off with 92K and filmed the Magician battle from another 1CC that I got 89K points in. I might post it to YouTube later on.
ConversusVans

Postby MakutaMaster962 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:30 pm

ConversusVans wrote:Speaking of which, I also want to hear the House of the Dead 1 music recorded from the real Model 2 arcade PCB. Some of the music sounds so much better compared to the M2 Emulator. I know it's an SCSP issue.

I am completely in agreement with that, ConversusVans. :D House of the Dead 1 is one of my favorite arcade games along with The Ocean Hunter. It's a real shame that the guys who were making the M2 Emulator couldn't correct the issue with the SCSP music sounds before development on the Emulator stopped. :(
MakutaMaster962

Next

Return to The Catwalk