Why the PowerPC option ?

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Why the PowerPC option ?

Postby Walker69921 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:27 am

Hey guys I have a question. Why is there a PowerPC option in Supermodel? I didn't realize it until I used the Supermodel UI.
Walker69921

Re: Why the PowerPC option ?

Postby ferrarifan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:38 am

lasean walker wrote:Hey guys I have a question. Why is there a PowerPC option in Supermodel? I didn't realize it until I used the Supermodel UI.
Because to improve performance and the ppc is underclocked, When you increase the option, the emulated hardware has to do a lot of work for each frame. 50 is the default ppc frequency but some games require a different frequency. Even if you went below like 20 mhz on Daytona 2 the game is running slow but it still runs at 60 fps(depending on your computer's performance). If you're system is fast to increase frames, then you will notice smoother performance in some games. But that doesn't mean all games will not work the same speed on each ppc frequency. Older versions of Supermodel have some timing inaccuracies like Harley Davidson and LA riders is one of the games for example. But since Supermodel has been improved a lot. It gets better and better. :) Bart and Ian will probably tell you more about it. In the future, I'm sure it will be faster. Recent CPUs are faster and more reliable nowadays.
ferrarifan

Postby ferrarifan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:55 am

Bart is the information about the PowerPC Frequency correct ? That's how far I know.
ferrarifan

Postby Walker69921 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:02 am

ferrarifan wrote:
lasean walker wrote:Hey guys I have a question. Why is there a PowerPC option in Supermodel? I didn't realize it until I used the Supermodel UI.
Because to improve performance and the ppc is underclocked, When you increase the option, the emulated hardware has to do a lot of work for each frame. 50 is the default ppc frequency but some games require a different frequency. Even if you went below like 20 mhz on Daytona 2 the game is running slow but it still runs at 60 fps(depending on your computer's performance). If you're system is fast to increase frames, then you will notice smoother performance in some games. But that doesn't mean all games will not work the same speed on each ppc frequency. Older versions of Supermodel have some timing inaccuracies like Harley Davidson and LA riders is one of the games for example. But since Supermodel has been improved a lot. It gets better and better. :) Bart and Ian will probably tell you more about it. In the future, I'm sure it will be faster. Recent CPUs are faster and more reliable nowadays.
OK thanks dude. I didn't know what that option is for. Now I understand. My system runs well with each game with some slight slow down on Fighting Vipers2. I7s are awesome.
Walker69921

Postby ferrarifan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:06 am

lasean walker wrote:
ferrarifan wrote:
OK thanks dude. I didn't know what that option is for. Now I understand. My system runs well with each game with some slight slow down on Fighting Vipers2. I7s are awesome.
You're welcome. If you have any more questions,ask away.
ferrarifan

Postby karadaniano » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:45 am

fighting vipers 2 is one of those games that needs the ppc frequenzy to be increased in order to run smoothly. i usually set it around 90 and 100 mhz and runs like a charm
karadaniano

Postby Joaquim Gonçalves » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:41 am

karadaniano wrote:fighting vipers 2 is one of those games that needs the ppc frequenzy to be increased in order to run smoothly. i usually set it around 90 and 100 mhz and runs like a charm

Those war planes are the problem. :)
Even the intro music is not the exactly in the same point.
Waiting...
Joaquim Gonçalves

Return to The Catwalk