Star Wars Trilogy Arcade Controls Fully Functioning

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

  • No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Re: Star Wars Trilogy Arcade Controls Fully Functioning

Postby dan76 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:03 am

anchounio wrote:I saw the controls of the original Arcade on youtube and the controls have Y axxis inverted for the whole game except for the lightsaber duels.

Inverting the Y axxis on spaceship games is something pretty common. Just a matter is getting used to it while playing.


You can check it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnFO2wgtFiM


Yikes! So all this time I've been playing it the wrong way round. By default the flight controls aren't inverted and the Lightsaber duels are (?)

Time to relearn the game.
Last edited by dan76 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dan76
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:05 am
Location: London

Re: Star Wars Trilogy Arcade Controls Fully Functioning

Postby DarylWise » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:07 pm

Bart wrote:Are email replies working for you? I can't get emails to work for me and I'm the freaking admin! :oops:


Yeah they aren't working. Just stumbled across this thread by chance again to see more comments lol.
DarylWise
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:43 pm

Re: Star Wars Trilogy Arcade Controls Fully Functioning

Postby dan76 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:06 pm

anchounio wrote:I saw the controls of the original Arcade on youtube and the controls have Y axxis inverted for the whole game except for the lightsaber duels.

Inverting the Y axxis on spaceship games is something pretty common. Just a matter of getting used to it while playing.


You can check it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnFO2wgtFiM


Sorry for the double quote, but in other videos the controls are inverted for everything.

https://youtu.be/6dtv1hQ9Y5Y

and

https://youtu.be/ehjAZP-TJO0

So the video you linked must have had the controls reversed somewhere. Maybe there's a separate setting in the menu for lightsaber levels. The fact that lightsaber fights are inverted is part of what makes up the difficulty.
dan76
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:05 am
Location: London

Re: Star Wars Trilogy Arcade Controls Fully Functioning

Postby DarylWise » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:06 pm

dan76 wrote:
anchounio wrote:I saw the controls of the original Arcade on youtube and the controls have Y axxis inverted for the whole game except for the lightsaber duels.

Inverting the Y axxis on spaceship games is something pretty common. Just a matter of getting used to it while playing.


You can check it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnFO2wgtFiM


Sorry for the double quote, but in other videos the controls are inverted for everything.

https://youtu.be/6dtv1hQ9Y5Y

and

https://youtu.be/ehjAZP-TJO0

So the video you linked must have had the controls reversed somewhere. Maybe there's a separate setting in the menu for lightsaber levels. The fact that lightsaber fights are inverted is part of what makes up the difficulty.


This is a super late post but this game was on my mind. No, I used to own and have played the original Deluxe and upright cabinet for SWTA and the lightsaber fights were NEVER inverted, NEVER. You must have not played the game on Supermodel at all as you would know there is no lightsaber options in the menu and the shooting parts are not inverted but the lightsaber is and the arrows telling you which direction to move the joystick are not inverted but the joystick is.

The fix I provided makes it all work though. :)
DarylWise
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:43 pm

Re: Star Wars Trilogy Arcade Controls Fully Functioning

Postby ark216 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:15 pm

DarylWise wrote:
dan76 wrote:
anchounio wrote:I saw the controls of the original Arcade on youtube and the controls have Y axxis inverted for the whole game except for the lightsaber duels.

Inverting the Y axxis on spaceship games is something pretty common. Just a matter of getting used to it while playing.


You can check it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnFO2wgtFiM


Sorry for the double quote, but in other videos the controls are inverted for everything.

https://youtu.be/6dtv1hQ9Y5Y

and

https://youtu.be/ehjAZP-TJO0

So the video you linked must have had the controls reversed somewhere. Maybe there's a separate setting in the menu for lightsaber levels. The fact that lightsaber fights are inverted is part of what makes up the difficulty.


This is a super late post but this game was on my mind. No, I used to own and have played the original Deluxe and upright cabinet for SWTA and the lightsaber fights were NEVER inverted, NEVER. You must have not played the game on Supermodel at all as you would know there is no lightsaber options in the menu and the shooting parts are not inverted but the lightsaber is and the arrows telling you which direction to move the joystick are not inverted but the joystick is.

The fix I provided makes it all work though. :)


Just tried this game today. Contrary to other Model 3 games this runs at 30 fps which is quite surprising! Or could be that it is not emulated perfectly? Secondly does this game have a 2 player support? I successfully ran The Lost World with dual mice via Raw Input. Does this one work to?
ark216
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: Star Wars Trilogy Arcade Controls Fully Functioning

Postby Bart » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:29 pm

How did you determine it runs at 30 fps?
User avatar
Bart
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2168
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: New York City

Re: Star Wars Trilogy Arcade Controls Fully Functioning

Postby dan76 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

I finally had some time to put into this. I must admit I'm a bit in the dark trying to figure all this out, but basically I have Star Wars Trilogy Arcade set up with mouse control so I can use a Wiimote and dolphin bar to play it as a lightgun game. So, with that method, up is always up. However, the lightsaber fights were very difficult because they're inverted.

In my version of supermodel I have to go into the test menu of swtrilgy, alter all the settings and exit. This makes an NVRAM file called swtrilgya. Weirdly, running the swtrilgya rom makes an NVRAM file calked swtrilgy... So I kept doing the settings and nothing would work. Finally figured it out what was going on - renamed the NVRAM file, made a copy, deleted any save states and it works.

It's possible to actually do the lightsaber fights with the Wiimote now. Somewhat easier than using the nunchuck, it's the closest thing to an actual lightsaber fight. Pisses all over Star Wars Battlefront 2.

Nice one for figuring this out. On the slim chance anyone else plays this way the nunchuck analogue stick is controlled in the ini file by the key directions. I had to invert all those as well to have the choice of using the Wiimote or nunchuck for the lightsaber duels.
dan76
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:05 am
Location: London

Re: Star Wars Trilogy Arcade Controls Fully Functioning

Postby DarylWise » Wed May 02, 2018 6:11 pm

Bart wrote:How did you determine it runs at 30 fps?


Mine has always ran at 60. He must be using an old PC.
DarylWise
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:43 pm

Re: Star Wars Trilogy Arcade Controls Fully Functioning

Postby DarylWise » Wed May 02, 2018 6:18 pm

dan76 wrote:I finally had some time to put into this. I must admit I'm a bit in the dark trying to figure all this out, but basically I have Star Wars Trilogy Arcade set up with mouse control so I can use a Wiimote and dolphin bar to play it as a lightgun game. So, with that method, up is always up. However, the lightsaber fights were very difficult because they're inverted.

In my version of supermodel I have to go into the test menu of swtrilgy, alter all the settings and exit. This makes an NVRAM file called swtrilgya. Weirdly, running the swtrilgya rom makes an NVRAM file calked swtrilgy... So I kept doing the settings and nothing would work. Finally figured it out what was going on - renamed the NVRAM file, made a copy, deleted any save states and it works.

It's possible to actually do the lightsaber fights with the Wiimote now. Somewhat easier than using the nunchuck, it's the closest thing to an actual lightsaber fight. Pisses all over Star Wars Battlefront 2.

Nice one for figuring this out. On the slim chance anyone else plays this way the nunchuck analogue stick is controlled in the ini file by the key directions. I had to invert all those as well to have the choice of using the Wiimote or nunchuck for the lightsaber duels.


Good to know you got it all working! As for my old comment about the inverted controls, I apologize as those videos you showed did have a different calibration than what I played. The cabinet I played and (kinda) owned for a while had normal movement for all levels and stages. Up was always up and down was always down. I do see however in those videos that all of the saber fights were not inverted. That would probably piss players off if the arrows pointed left but you actually had to move right! LOL!
DarylWise
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:43 pm

Previous

Return to The Catwalk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests