Model 3 Soundtrack Thread?

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Model 3 Soundtrack Thread?

Postby ConversusVans » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:10 pm

Well, I managed to buy this soundtrack right here: Image. Harley-Davidson & L.A. Riders Official Soundtrack. Was only released in Japan by Marvelous Entertainment.
How did I find it? I went over to Zenmarket (a bidding proxy service; highly recommend btw), searched for the album in Japanese, and bought it from Rakuten.jp.
When it arrives, I will possibly upload the whole soundtrack to YouTube (copyright claims shouldn't be much an issue, considering the game's age).

Marvelous released quite a bit of soundtracks out of many Sega games. There is also a soundtrack from them called "SEGA Racing Best", which contains a lot of cool music from various Sega racers. Anybody have this one?
- Conversus W. Vans (Paul)
ConversusVans

Re: Model 3 Soundtrack Thread?

Postby Bart » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:19 am

Honestly I feel like Model 3 games are some of Sega's weakest in terms of audio. They did a good job with Daytona USA 2 but there's really nothing memorable on the platform. VF3's sound track is far less memorable than VF2, which in turn is arguably inferior to VF1. Virtual On has at best a couple of decent tracks, and I think one of those actually appeared first in the original Model 2 Virtual On. LA Machineguns is decently scored but the melodies are not as distinctive as Gunblade NY's (although the tunes there could really use a higher-quality arrangement). I think a lot of game music from the mid to late 90's was afflicted by the influence of the terrible house music of the era. A pox on our ears!
Bart
Site Admin

Postby ConversusVans » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:44 am

Bart wrote:Honestly I feel like Model 3 games are some of Sega's weakest in terms of audio. They did a good job with Daytona USA 2 but there's really nothing memorable on the platform. VF3's sound track is far less memorable than VF2, which in turn is arguably inferior to VF1. Virtual On has at best a couple of decent tracks, and I think one of those actually appeared first in the original Model 2 Virtual On. LA Machineguns is decently scored but the melodies are not as distinctive as Gunblade NY's (although the tunes there could really use a higher-quality arrangement). I think a lot of game music from the mid to late 90's was afflicted by the influence of the terrible house music of the era. A pox on our ears!

Now that you mentioned that, I would happen to agree. Harley's soundtrack in the attract mode was pretty cool, but the rest of the in-game sound was mostly cheesy MIDIs. Some arcades have the motorcycle engine sound too loud though. Loved the Daytona USA 2 OST when I was little. I remember way back in 2001 or so, we went to Myrtle Beach, and they had a Daytona USA 2 deluxe in one of the arcades with the attract sound on. The Lost World's music was rather impressive, especially since it used just SCSP for all sounds. Same said with ECA.

Model 2 probably has my favorite soundtracks. Daytona, House of the Dead 1 (although some could argue the home ports had better arrangements), VF2, Wave Runner and even the cruddy SEGA Touring Car (eurobeat, lol).
ConversusVans

Postby Bart » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:06 pm

ConversusVans wrote:Some arcades have the motorcycle engine sound too loud though. Loved the Daytona USA 2 OST when I was little. I remember way back in 2001 or so, we went to Myrtle Beach, and they had a Daytona USA 2 deluxe in one of the arcades with the attract sound on. The Lost World's music was rather impressive, especially since it used just SCSP for all sounds. Same said with ECA.

Daytona USA 2, cheese factor aside, is pretty good. I think they accomplished what they were going for. The game is not as whimsical as the original, and the OST reflects that, too. But Lost World? It sounds awful to me. And what's with the abysmal voice acting? "Ahhh.. this is the site B laboratory." WTF?

LA Machineguns is all SCSP-based and sounds good, particularly the Alcatraz stage track. The SCSP is actually a fairly competent chip that was rarely pushed to its limits, and certainly never on Model 3, where it's used as little more than a glorified sample-based MIDI device. If I understand correctly, it is a true FM synthesizer and I think was designed for Sega by Yamaha. There's an active community of musicians developing chip tunes for the Sega Genesis' beloved YM2612 FM chip. I wonder if the same exists for the SCSP?
Bart
Site Admin

Postby ConversusVans » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:20 pm

Bart wrote:LA Machineguns is all SCSP-based and sounds good, particularly the Alcatraz stage track. The SCSP is actually a fairly competent chip that was rarely pushed to its limits, and certainly never on Model 3, where it's used as little more than a glorified sample-based MIDI device. If I understand correctly, it is a true FM synthesizer and I think was designed for Sega by Yamaha. There's an active community of musicians developing chip tunes for the Sega Genesis' beloved YM2612 FM chip. I wonder if the same exists for the SCSP?

I have kind of an answer to your last question -- I created a soundfont back in 2014 using audio clips from various Model 2 and 3 games (mostly Harley). However, I don't think it will be seeing the light of day yet. Making the soundfont involved using a version of M1 (an arcade music player) that plays all the SCSP-supported games' music at like, half speed (lol) and I edited the M1 ROM XML document to take out one of the EEPROMs so I can hear each instrument quietly. Then I also fiddled with Nebula Jukebox and did some ROM swapping with games that supported SCSP.

I'll admit, I have been DESPERATELY searching for a rip of The House of the Dead (Model 2) soundtrack out of real arcade hardware. Some of the songs on that game used FM (like the Genesis) for the synthesizers, and it never sounded correct on the M2 Emulator. I heard VF3 uses FM, too.
ConversusVans

Postby Bart » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:30 pm

According to ElSemi, the primary use of FM in VF3 is on Sarah's stage (subway). Re: sound fonts, you know you can load the sound ROMs up in GoldWave and get everything that way :) I forget the sampling rate and it could theoretically differ from game to game (or even within the same ROM) but I think it's often 16KHz or something like that. A few of the sound effects in my HoloLens MegaMan demo were ripped directly from VON2 and LA Machineguns' sound ROMs.

I did a brief YouTube search for SCSP or Sega Saturn chip tunes and couldn't find much. I'm not sure what the FM capabilities of the device are but I thought they were more extensive than the YM2612. By the time the SCSP was widely distributed, FM synthesis had fallen out of fashion. CD audio playback, MPEG audio, and more memory for sample-based arrangements would all have made musicians' lives easier, and chip tunes sound dated. A good synthesized tune sounds great to me but it totally makes sense that the industry dropped it as soon as it could. It was always a stop-gap measure from a time period where memory was just too expensive to spare.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby terminento » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:52 pm

Sega Rally 2 music is pretty catchy and memorable, and I think that LeMans 24 music has a certain charm to it, a la Corona's "Rhythm Of The Night" or Amber's "this is your night"
terminento

Postby MrThunderwing » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:56 am

Le Mans 24 all the way for me! Love the laid back mid-90's dance vibe it's got going on.
MrThunderwing

Return to The Catwalk