OT: Jungle Strike Re-imagined for HoloLens

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

OT: Jungle Strike Re-imagined for HoloLens

Postby Bart » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:47 am

One of my favorite games from childhood was EA's Jungle Strike on Sega Genesis. I've been wanting to do something like it for HoloLens since I first heard of the device and started working on it as soon as I got mine in summer 2016. The project fell by the wayside as I cranked out a few other demos but I've since returned to it (in addition to the language learning game, which is my top priority right now). Here's some WIP footage. Starting to look like an actual game. :)

GET TO DA CHOPPA!
Bart
Site Admin

Re: OT: Jungle Strike Re-imagined for HoloLens

Postby Ian » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:21 am

very cool Bart
where did you get the models from?
Ian

Postby Bart » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:39 am

Here, here, and here :) Had to hand edit them a bit to adjust pivot points and orientation, detach various parts, and remove some unnecessary geometry from one of the helicopters. Turned out to be painless and I've been very pleased with the results. The Unity Asset Store is especially great. One down side is that few people include the original modeling software source file and instead just include a flattened FBX export. The Comanche from Turbosquid did include a proper 3DS file, though. It even has missile bays and retractable landing gear! Can't wait to code up the missile bays opening up and launching rockets when the player gets close enough :)
Bart
Site Admin

Postby MrThunderwing » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:51 pm

Looks awesome! Goes very well with the Gunblade music. I've got a mate who's working for a very small company that are developing a mixed reality game that mixes hololens type technology with a controllable real life vehicle. It looks pretty cool so far.
MrThunderwing

Return to The Catwalk