Controller button names for PS3 controllers

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Controller button names for PS3 controllers

Postby andwan0 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:56 am

I own a Mayflash PS3 to USB PC adapter so am able to use PS3 controllers.
I wish Supermodel UI would "detect" controller buttons, but instead we have a dropdown list and manually pick.
JOY1_UP, etc. corresponds to the left joystick. Does anyone know the names for the directional pad and/or right joystick?
Would be handle to be able to bind the VR views to the directional pad, and use accelerate/brakes on the right joystick.
andwan0

Re: Controller button names for PS3 controllers

Postby Bart » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:17 am

andwan0 wrote:I own a Mayflash PS3 to USB PC adapter so am able to use PS3 controllers.
I wish Supermodel UI would "detect" controller buttons, but instead we have a dropdown list and manually pick.
JOY1_UP, etc. corresponds to the left joystick. Does anyone know the names for the directional pad and/or right joystick?
Would be handle to be able to bind the VR views to the directional pad, and use accelerate/brakes on the right joystick.

Supermodel UI is not supported and will probably break completely with the next release. Read the README.txt or Help section of the Supermodel web site for information on how to use the command line to launch a configuration utility. This is the preferred way of configuring game pads and doesn't require you to know the names.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Ian » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:41 am

Who made the supermodel ui? I like it .. but it desperately needs to be updated.
Ian

Postby Bart » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:04 am

No idea but I'd like to ultimately put a wx-based GUI on Supermodel.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Ian » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:24 pm

I don't have any experience with cross platform guis. But personally I like the fact the GUI is separate, also cleaner with the code and easier to build :)
But I think it would really help if we had an official gui ..
Ian

Postby VF3 addicted » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:28 pm

Definitely agree with Ian , I was wondering why so long without a official gui , this command line make me sick . And it prevent access for people who doesn't know how to use it . All the time i was useing Supermodel UI and was happy whith that.
VF3 addicted

Postby Ian » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:56 pm

problem is time :) I don't think the average person realizes how much work goes into each commit of the svn, and we are only a small dev team!
Ian

Postby andwan0 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:16 pm

Thanks! I just used the command-line to recognise my joypad presses:

Code: Select all
Right Analog Joystick

JOY1_RZAXIS_NEG
JOY1_ZAXIS_NEG                 JOY1_ZAXIS_POS
               JOY1_RZAXIS_POS

Left Analog Joystick

JOY1_YAXIS_NEG
JOY1_XAXIS_NEG                JOY1_XAXIS_POS
               JOY1_YAXIS_POS

Direction Pad

JOY1_POV1_UP
JOY1_POV1_LEFT              JOY1_POV1_RIGHT
               JOY1_POV1_DOWN

It's a nice program, but I prefer manually editing the text config file by hand :)
Helpful to have these common key press CONSTANTS in a nice doc page?
andwan0

Postby Bart » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:56 pm

VF3 addicted wrote:Definitely agree with Ian , I was wondering why so long without a official gui , this command line make me sick . And it prevent access for people who doesn't know how to use it . All the time i was useing Supermodel UI and was happy whith that.

What is it about these instructions that is making you ill?

Emulators are an arcane and technical hobby, not a consumer product. My objective is to ultimately make Supermodel friendly and polished but I have very limited time and that time is probably better spent fixing up the emulation than working on a GUI to save people from having to type a few keystrokes. Of course there will be a GUI at some point but until then, I don't think it's so unreasonable for a hobbyist project like this to expect users to meet us half way and spend 5-10 minutes learning the command prompt until I can block off the 1-3 weeks it will take to write and iron the bugs out of a cross-platform GUI.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Bart » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:00 pm

Ian wrote:I don't have any experience with cross platform guis. But personally I like the fact the GUI is separate, also cleaner with the code and easier to build :)
But I think it would really help if we had an official gui ..

wx is pretty nice. I've used it only a little but I've seen it used on Linux. I've only used it once for a tiny project. It was a bit of a pain to build and set up the MSVC project (I actually forgot how already) but it's a one-time thing. Once set up, it'll be just as simple to build. Nik obviously had it working at one point. I hope to do it at some point soon.
Bart
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Catwalk