Daytona / SCUD drifting

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Daytona / SCUD drifting

Postby andwan0 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:44 am

I am amazed by the skills players show when they drifting in these Sega racers.
However am having hard time grasping how to drifting without crashing into walls. I've read gameFAQs and read other forum posts, but still can't implement a good drift.

I understand that the 3 games actually have different drifting techniques. Here is a short text of what I understand so far. Please can someone share some advice, tips on how to get better. And yes I've been playing every night!

Daytona USA (manual):
(assuming driving at gear 4 during straight lines), just before approach sharp corner
1. goto opposite side then turn sharply into corner
2. downshift to gear 3 or gear 2
(during whole time, no need to press brakes or let off gas)

Daytona USA 2 (manual, normal/medium car):
(assuming driving at gear 4 during straight lines), just before approach sharp corner
1. let off gas, press brake
2. turn sharply into corner
3. downshift to gear 3 or gear 2
4. gently put back on gas

SCUD (manual, normal/medium car):
1. downshift to 3 to make car slow down
2. turn sharp into corner & downshift to gear 2

I find that Daytona1 lets you off for sloppyness, but Daytona2/SCUD is not so forgiving.
The faster you are in SCUD, the more prone spin-out-of-control.
andwan0

Re: Daytona / SCUD drifting

Postby Bart » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:00 am

I've never been good at drifting in Daytona. I tend to lose control and the car ends up hitting the wall while drifting unless I also apply the brake. I think, however, in all cases, you want to downshift only temporarily before shifting back to 4. That's how I do it in Daytona 2 and Scud. You also want to lightly apply or tap the accelerator. In Daytona 2 and Scud you can furthermore continue to steer but I find myself letting go of the wheel (actually, the thumb stick of my XBox controller) first before re-applying it once the vehicle is safely in a drift.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Toshiko » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:23 pm

The biggest part of the difficulty curve is that Daytona 1 doesn't have tire wear, while Daytona 2 and SCUD Race do. A perfect drift in Daytona 1 will always be a perfect drift with the same timing and input, where Daytona 2 and SCUD have your drifts get sloppier and more difficult to recover from, while your lap times climb quickly. Actually, I can't get first place in Daytona 2 in Grand Prix or Endurance, because the time lost in the pits is always greater than the time made up for by getting fresh rubber.
Toshiko

Postby MrThunderwing » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:10 am

Toshiko wrote:The biggest part of the difficulty curve is that Daytona 1 doesn't have tire wear, while Daytona 2 and SCUD Race do. A perfect drift in Daytona 1 will always be a perfect drift with the same timing and input, where Daytona 2 and SCUD have your drifts get sloppier and more difficult to recover from, while your lap times climb quickly. Actually, I can't get first place in Daytona 2 in Grand Prix or Endurance, because the time lost in the pits is always greater than the time made up for by getting fresh rubber.

I thought the tire wear in Scud and Daytona 2 only happened in endurance mode? Just playing the game in its regular arcade mode shouldn't affect them.
MrThunderwing

Postby krsjoker » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:27 am

ive just learnt how to drift the hornet car in daytona usa 2 almost perfectly now,the key is to change down to 2 alot earlier than you would with the other cars as it does not have a s much front end grip but also not the need to turn as as sharp as the rear will naturally want to step out! also a little more break pedal is needed!
i think the hornet is my new fav car now when it use to be my worse!
krsjoker

Postby Toshiko » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:37 am

MrThunderwing wrote:I thought the tire wear in Scud and Daytona 2 only happened in endurance mode? Just playing the game in its regular arcade mode shouldn't affect them.

Definitely does in Scud. Easiest way to gauge it is on the beginner courses with the Viper - what goes for a perfect drift on the first two laps will be a long, sloppy (often spinning out) turn by the final lap. The other cars do degrade on normal, but the Viper on the beginners is the most obvious.
Toshiko

Postby Trojan X » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:15 am

I hope my old video will help: https://youtu.be/PkVRr0rA088?t=739
Trojan X

Return to The Catwalk