Is it possible to implement Model 2 emulation in Supermodel?

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Is it possible to implement Model 2 emulation in Supermodel?

Postby Nodoyuna » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:05 am

Hi

The tittle says it all...

Being Elsemi's Model 2 Emulator a great emu itself, it has not been updated in years, so it mostly dead (at least regarding public releases)

So, it should be possible to implement Model 2 emulation into Supermodel? Maybe they're somehow similar, hardware-wise...

That would make Supermodel even more "super" :D

Thanks in advance
Nodoyuna

Re: Is it possible to implement Model 2 emulation in Supermo

Postby Bart » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:55 pm

Unfortunately, they're not really similar at all. Although a lot is known about how Model 2 works thanks to the efforts of ElSemi and several MAMEDevs, it still isn't enough. ElSemi knows the most but given his work with Sega, he is almost certainly no longer allowed to disclose what he has found, and so to get from where MAME is to his emulator would require a large amount of work.

I'd love to see Model 1 or 2 support in Supermodel but I can't envision myself finding the time to do so in the next few years. However, if anyone would like to volunteer, I have no objections :)
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Ian » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:00 am

There probably are similarities between the hardware. But it would probably be easier to write standalone emulators from scratch rather than try and merge them into supermodel.
But there is not much incentive to do so when the model2 emulator already exists.

I'd kind of like to see a standalone model1 emulator, personally I think that would be quite cool :)
Ian

Postby Nodoyuna » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:16 am

Thank both for the answers :)

I'd kind of like to see a standalone model1 emulator, personally I think that would be quite cool

I thought model 1 games works with MAME...

But there is not much incentive to do so when the model2 emulator already exists

Yes, that's true, and it's a good one too... I was asking because Elsemi is not going to update it anymore, as now he works for Sega...

I don't mind to have standalone emulators, but I thought there were enough similarities in hardware to implement Model 2 into Supermodel... I was wrong :)

Because when MAME will be able to run Model 2 and Model 3 games at full, maybe will be all dead :D
Nodoyuna

Postby Joaquim Gonçalves » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:50 am

Nodoyuna wrote:Thank both for the answers :)
Yes, that's true, and it's a good one too... I was asking because Elsemi is not going to update it anymore, as now he works for Sega...

You miss a spot here. I remember when El Semi goes to work with SEGA and after 5 years of work he releases a new version. ;)
Still need a few things before it gets all done.
Fix a few Bugs and Issues.
Missing Clone Games.
A few Rare Prototypes.
And etc...
Waiting...
Joaquim Gonçalves

Postby Bart » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:19 am

Ian wrote:There probably are similarities between the hardware. But it would probably be easier to write standalone emulators from scratch rather than try and merge them into supermodel.
But there is not much incentive to do so when the model2 emulator already exists.

I'd kind of like to see a standalone model1 emulator, personally I think that would be quite cool :)

Incorporating Model 1 into Supermodel wouldn't be very difficult but there would be almost no code overlap, so it would indeed be like fusing two emulators into one. Once Supermodel gets a GUI, it would make more sense. The input system wouldn't need to change at all. And if Supermodel ever incorporates modding and customization (which I think would especially make sense for Model 3), there could be a strong case for turning it into a more generic emulator for 3D arcade systems that has the express mission of facilitating customization.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby ConversusVans » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:28 pm

Joaquim Gonçalves wrote:
Nodoyuna wrote:Thank both for the answers :)

You miss a spot here. I remember when El Semi goes to work with SEGA and after 5 years of work he releases a new version. ;)
Still need a few things before it gets all done.
Fix a few Bugs and Issues.
Missing Clone Games.
A few Rare Prototypes.
And etc...

As well as the emulator crashing when you load save states, and the SCSP audio bug with House of the Dead 1. Other than that, the emulator is pretty fine. It would be neat if someone could make a new Model 2 emulator with updated graphics and features like Supermodel has, though. :)
- Conversus W. Vans (Paul)
ConversusVans

Postby Bart » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:04 pm

I still can't get it to run. There is a genuine need for a high-quality open source Model 2 emulator, I would say.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Joaquim Gonçalves » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:22 am

Thank you guys for the answers, but it will be amazing if Model 1 will be implemented on this emulator too. :)
I still imagine Supermodel's 3 graphics on Model 1 and 2.
Supermodel 3 should be called SEGA Supermodel Complete Edition.
Waiting...
Joaquim Gonçalves

Return to The Catwalk