New video: Sega Model 3 & The Dreamcast - WTF Went Wrong?!?

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

New video: Sega Model 3 & The Dreamcast - WTF Went Wrong?!?

Postby MrThunderwing » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:33 pm

Hey Y'all, check out my latest Sega Model 3 themed video - Sega Model 3 & The Dreamcast - WTF Went Wrong?!?

As you can probably guess from the title there is a brief smattering of profanity in it, so viewer discretion is advised ;)
Attachments
WTF Sega.jpg
WTF Sega.jpg (95.82 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
MrThunderwing

Re: New video: Sega Model 3 & The Dreamcast - WTF Went Wrong

Postby dan76 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:28 pm

Just had a watch. Great video and I agree with everything you said. Particularly with regard to the arcade ports. It seems nuts that they didn't port everything they could because the arcade is such a huge part of their company.

Around that time with the Star Wars special edition out and the prequels being made anything with Star Wars on would've been a license to print money. I remember seeing Star Wars Trilogy arcade and thinking it's just a matter of time before we get it (with extra levels..). Never happened. The same with Lost World. HotD2 sold like hot cakes so why on earth they didn't keep a steady stream of exclusive arcade titles coming to the system is beyond me - as that's what they had ready to go.
dan76

Postby MrThunderwing » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:59 am

Thanks. Yeah, it's crazy just how many great Sega arcade games never made it to home systems.
MrThunderwing

Postby Ian » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:10 am

The arcade business was pretty big business at one time. Maybe they deliberately didn't port them to protect this business.
Ian

Postby MrThunderwing » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:36 am

That's definitely a possibility. Steve Ranck from Raw Thrills pretty much said as much about the reason that H2Overdrive has never seen a home port (and damn, did I want a home version of that! Still do...). I guess it would make sense as well in the late-90's, at a point the arcade and home systems were pretty much on equal footing graphically, that Sega would still want people to have an incentive to go to the arcades, whereas back in the Megadrive and SMS days the arcade versions were still so significantly better from a purely graphical standpoint, that the home console ports seemed like less of a 'threat'.
MrThunderwing

Postby Bart » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:06 am

Ian wrote:The arcade business was pretty big business at one time. Maybe they deliberately didn't port them to protect this business.

This was definitely the case when Sega entered the console business in the 80's. The Mega Drive was specced out to be able to faithfully handle home conversions of Sega arcade titles and many Sega execs initially argued against home consoles for fear of cannibalizing their arcade business. It strikes me as strange business logic because it should have been clear even in the 1980's that the difference between arcades and home consoles was purely technical, and as soon as the capability existed to produce arcade-quality experiences at home, *someone* would take advantage of it. As an arcade leader, Sega should not have had any reservations about leveraging their experience to get a head start. Ultimately, that's more or less what they did with Mega Drive, which was initially sold as the Sega arcade experience brought home. But then they did something really stupid with Saturn by dismissing the need for 3D graphics when all of their arcade titles by that time were at the forefront of 3D technology. There was clearly a lack of synergy between the arcade and console departments.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby ferrarifan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:03 pm

MrThunderwing wrote:Thanks. Yeah, it's crazy just how many great Sega arcade games never made it to home systems.
We all know that emulation is the only way to enjoy our favorites at home. But,jeez i wonder if Lucky & Wild(One of my favorite Arcade games)was ever released on SNES and Genesis that would been awesome. But i'm not sure how the game is going to translate to the home format with the controllers and the peripherals like a wheel and two guns. Plus, they never make wheels for the SNES. SEGA made so many arcade titles like my favorite is Rad Rally that never been ported to other platforms. Not just SEGA,Other companies like Namco,Taito,Midway(WB Games purchased Midways assets including MK and Spy Hunter due to it's bankruptcy),Atari,Konami,Capcom and to name a few. I hope these manufacturers need to step up there game plan to re-release there classics to today's New gen consoles nowadays. SEGA has been kind of boring with there new games IMHO. If i was at SEGA for example,I'll say hey SEGA where's Daytona 2 and SCUD Race at? Huh? Are you just going to ignore us? It seems like SEGA is not responding to it's fans. I don't think SEGA doesn't care if these games are being left out and forgotten.

SEGA of America's president Simon Jeffery said is impossible to port arcade games because SEGA unfortunately lost the Source Code to some games. it is proving impossible to find any of the source code for the System 16,System 24 and more. That's why many of there games never released on PC's and Consoles. Licence is a big thing in the game industry. SCUD Race is consider a licensed title. Not the name of the game but the cars that participated in the 1996 BPR Global GT series. The same that goes with Dirt Devils with a Toyota and Humvee trucks and the rest of the racing sponsors.

Here's why most arcade games never released on many platforms. I'm just predicting doesn't mean is correct
-Games with shorter length don't have many levels or story modes like Silent Scope for example
-Games originally programmed or designed for the hardware which means that is difficult to port games to another(depending the architecture of the hardware)
-Sometimes game companies have a lack of time or schedule while they maybe working on other projects
-Source codes are lost
-License issues
-Some arcade games are less favored due to it's low popularity compared to others.
-Unknown reasons

I think the problem is solved. What do y'all think? :)
Last edited by ferrarifan on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ferrarifan

Postby MrThunderwing » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:41 pm

indeed, good points FF. One thing that's worth pointing out though... there was actually a version of Silent Scope for the Dreamcast :)

I never owned the full game back then, but i did have a demo disc with the first level on it. There was a compilation pack of The first three games, and a special home only version, called Silent Scope Complete Complete for the original Xbox - complete with a massive sniper rifle to go with it.

I was (still am) the proud owner of one of these garish plastic monstrosities/beauties. If you took the stock and the main barrel off, it doubled up as an awesome shotgun for the Xbox version of House of the Dead 3!
MrThunderwing

Postby Chine » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:54 pm

if you mean Rad Rally, it exists on Saturn, check "Gale Racer" ;)
Chine

Postby ferrarifan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:47 pm

Chine wrote:if you mean Rad Rally, it exists on Saturn, check "Gale Racer" ;)
Gale Racer is the Saturn port of Rad Mobile. Rad Rally is a two player version. Rather than driving across the USA,Rad Rally gives you a choice of each track to race. Rad Rally is a arcade only title. No home versions.
ferrarifan

Next

Return to The Catwalk