Steam Link compatibility

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Steam Link compatibility

Postby MDashK » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:35 am

I just acquired a Steam Link recently and tried to use Supermodel with it.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work correctly...

Steam Link is basically a streaming box, that streams what Steam Big Screen mode is sending, so, one has to launch the game from that mode.
When I launch it from that mode, locally, it launches OK, but launching during streaming with Steam Link, the emulator boots, shows the initial DOS message, then gives an error about the Joystick being used not being recognized (this refering to the controller connected to the Steam Link, since the controllers inputs are sent from the Steam Link to the remote PC running Steam) and then exists, spitting out the typical Windows Crash message (this program as stopped working and/or similar).

I don't have screenshots right now, but I'll see if I can post more info about them ASAP.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone managed to make this work, if some tweak somewhere is needed, and if not, if it's too difficult to make it happen.
"The only thing necessary for lost data to prevail, is for good men to share nothing."
Alucard, Internet Bible 03:20:1997
MDashK

Re: Steam Link compatibility

Postby MDashK » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:31 am

Screenshots of error:

"The only thing necessary for lost data to prevail, is for good men to share nothing."
Alucard, Internet Bible 03:20:1997
MDashK

Postby patha » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:55 pm

I've replicated this issue on my end. Basically the XInput controller that's forwarded by the Link doesn't have a name value.
This is noticable in other emulators, particularly KEGA Fusion. Unless Supermodel can hack around this limitation, or the behavior of the Steam Link controller system changes (unlikely this late in the game) it's impossible to play Supermodel games on the Steam Link :(

I particularly would like to know if any efforts are being made to put Supermodel onto RetroArch. From what I've read, this seems to be the growing trend for emulation on Big Picture / Steam Link.
patha

Postby Bart » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:55 pm

patha wrote:I've replicated this issue on my end. Basically the XInput controller that's forwarded by the Link doesn't have a name value.
This is noticable in other emulators, particularly KEGA Fusion. Unless Supermodel can hack around this limitation, or the behavior of the Steam Link controller system changes (unlikely this late in the game) it's impossible to play Supermodel games on the Steam Link :(

I particularly would like to know if any efforts are being made to put Supermodel onto RetroArch. From what I've read, this seems to be the growing trend for emulation on Big Picture / Steam Link.

I don't have a Steam Link so I don't know how to fix this but if it's just a matter of setting something up in XInput, it would be most productive to find a developer who is aware of what to do and have them submit a patch.
Bart
Site Admin

Return to The Catwalk