Proposition For A Discord Server

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Proposition For A Discord Server

Postby MichaelMichael54321 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:08 am

Hey, all! I had this idea in my head for a while now, and I figure I would get it out now than never.

We might not have these forums forever, but I really like discussing not only Supermodel-related topics but also arcade games in general with you guys.

That being said, I would like to add another way of communication: a Discord server.

For those that don't know, Discord, like Skype and Teamspeak, is a program allows for text and voice communication, providing channels for each type.
This means Discord can have both! I even have the system planned:

Roles
(in order of priority, high to low)
Staff - Manages the server, issuing punishments if neccessary.
Designer - Develops at least a portion of the current code in the Supermodel emulator..
Model - Uses the Supermodel emulator.
Player - Do you consider yourself a gamer? If so, this is the role for you!
Visitor - Basically, the "guest" role. I don't believe any person should be role-less.

Channels
Text
News - News about the emulator and Discord would be posted here. Only Staff and Designers post here.
Rules - The rules of the server, meaning only Staff would post there.
General - Mainly an off-topic channel.
Gaming - Gaming discussion of any game, no matter the platform.
Runway - Only Models and above discuss Supermodel emulator related content, like a bug in a game using the emulator.

Voice
General - Discuss away!
Gaming - For people gaming together and/or gaming discussion.
Music - For music, as long it is appropriate. Only if there is a bot specialized in that.
Staff - Staff and Designers only to discuss important matters.

Bots
I am currently on quite a bit of servers with bots, so I honestly have no idea if this server should have one as well. If there is a music voice channel for example, I would suggest getting one since it can play Youtube songs in a playlist that the people choose. In this case, all roles would be able to use it.

These are all ideas on paper, but in all actuality, I would like another way to communicate with you guys more frequently. Really would like input!
MichaelMichael54321 wrote:"You haven't seen SEGA's arcade success like this...Sega Model 3"

My gaming rig specs, courtesy of CPU-Z:
http://valid.x86.fr/i35lsi
MichaelMichael54321

Re: Proposition For A Discord Server

Postby Bart » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:23 am

It's a nice idea and I obviously can't influence people to leave or stay but personally, I dislike the walled gardens that litter the present day Internet and much prefer forum communities like this.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Ian » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:05 am

I don't really have any thoughts about this, since well I've never really used discord.
Ian

Postby ConversusVans » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:16 pm

Bart wrote:It's a nice idea and I obviously can't influence people to leave or stay but personally, I dislike the walled gardens that litter the present day Internet and much prefer forum communities like this.

Amen, Bart. There's a lot of scum on the Internet. I love the Supermodel community and being around them, discussing my favorite Model 2/3 games. :)
I do have a Discord, but it feels kind of like you're ignored there. :P
- Conversus W. Vans (Paul)
ConversusVans

Postby MichaelMichael54321 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:19 pm

Bart wrote:It's a nice idea and I obviously can't influence people to leave or stay but personally, I dislike the walled gardens that litter the present day Internet and much prefer forum communities like this.

I understand, Mr. Trzynadlowski, I'm just worried about the forums going through another outage which happened about two years ago. This forum is a nice getaway from the depths of toxicity, isn't it? I definitely don't want to damage that identity.

Ian wrote:I don't really have any thoughts about this, since well I've never really used discord.

Well, it works pretty well, nice server management as you can join multiple servers set up by people. Although you can use a browser on computers to access it, I recommend downloading it as a program, though.

ConversusVans wrote:I love the Supermodel community and being around them, discussing my favorite Model 2/3 games. :)

Preach it, Paul! No matter how small, the love would be with communities through it all.
MichaelMichael54321 wrote:"You haven't seen SEGA's arcade success like this...Sega Model 3"

My gaming rig specs, courtesy of CPU-Z:
http://valid.x86.fr/i35lsi
MichaelMichael54321

Postby fefor » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:39 pm

Yes please, I really dig the idea since Discord is pretty neat and useful
fefor

Postby Toshiko » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:23 pm

I only use Discord out of necessity, and often forget that I even have it running. Not that I dislike Discord, it just feels superfluous to me.

IRC, however, gets my focus and attention whenever I'm not at work. You can pry irssi away from my cold, dead hands.
Toshiko

Return to The Catwalk