Doko Desu Ka finished at last

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Doko Desu Ka finished at last

Postby Bart » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:30 pm

I know it's not Supermodel related but... Finally finished Doko Desu Ka and released it on the HoloLens app store. Pretty rough around the edges but it turned out nicely :) I've got some more HoloLens projects in the pipe for the next few weeks that I need to push through. Going to LA next week to do a presentation and am trying to present at the 2018 GDC (Game Dev Conference) in March.

Release video here.
Bart
Site Admin

Re: Doko Desu Ka finished at last

Postby Walker69921 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:43 pm

Nice Bart. Great job on the project. You sir are a magnificent man with intelligence. :)
Last edited by Walker69921 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walker69921

Postby ferrarifan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:45 pm

Well done Bart. You've done a massive job on the project you worked on. :)
ferrarifan

Postby Ian » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:47 am

Congrats Bart :)
Ian

Postby HarryTuttle » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:35 pm

Great job Bart! Trippy experience! :)

This augmented reality thing is becoming a "quantum leap" in the way we interact with a virtual world. If only I think of what we've come to from two paddles controlling two vertical white bars going up and down the tv screen hitting a squared ball... :lol:

I wonder what could be done with emulators, for example one can "transform" an ordinary room to an arcade hall, with lots of interacting virtual arcade cabinets, "powered" by Supermodel or MAME. Could it be possible?

(Btw, not related, I've the same wooden floor in my room...)
HarryTuttle

Postby Spindizzi » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:22 am

Wow amazing, very good job Bart

Off topic on:
Harry, look at theses projects : emuvr and retro arcade game room
Off topic off
Spindizzi

Postby HarryTuttle » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:32 am

Spindizzi wrote:look at theses projects : emuvr and retro arcade game room

Great projects, especially retro arcade room, vaporwave at its finest! :)
HarryTuttle

Postby Bart » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:31 am

HarryTuttle wrote:Great job Bart! Trippy experience! :)

This augmented reality thing is becoming a "quantum leap" in the way we interact with a virtual world. If only I think of what we've come to from two paddles controlling two vertical white bars going up and down the tv screen hitting a squared ball... :lol:

It's a fascinating technology. Admittedly, the "killer app" isn't really there yet. People are betting that some combination of training/instruction/remote assistance/education or telepresence will be it but I'm not sure. I'm interested in "consumer" applications (entertainment, games) and education. It's not as immersive a gaming experience as VR or even a 2D computer screen but it will be able to create alternative and compelling experiences. I think everyone now agrees that shared (multiplayer) experiences will benefit the most. We haven't seen too many of those yet simply because not enough people have access to the gear yet. That will change in the coming few years.

I'd like to move on to ARkit in the next couple months. Potential user base is huge. The form factor (smartphone) sucks now that I've seen the light with HoloLens but that's just the way it has to be for now :)

I wonder what could be done with emulators, for example one can "transform" an ordinary room to an arcade hall, with lots of interacting virtual arcade cabinets, "powered" by Supermodel or MAME. Could it be possible?

It would definitely be possible. Run the emulator, render to texture, and display it on a model. No big deal. But there are two problems: 1) the HoloLens is a low-performance mobile system (remember that it is basically ca. 2014/2015 tech) and 2) distribution via MS app store would be impossible given the need for ROMS.

The first problem will solve itself and even now, you could just emulate simpler systems (16-bit and earlier). The second problem is difficult. You can distribute apps for users to side-load themselves for now but once consumer-grade hardware comes out, this feature may be removed altogether, as with smartphones. Game companies like Sega and Nintendo could license retro game packs, though.

(Btw, not related, I've the same wooden floor in my room...)

With AR, we can change our floor tiles to whatever we'd like!
Bart
Site Admin

Return to The Catwalk