Sonic textures in Daytona 2?

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Sonic textures in Daytona 2?

Postby Tracker_TD » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:17 pm

A while ago I was fiddling with Supermodel after updating for the first time in ages, and I was really excited to see it added a texture dump (mostly for SpikeOut). So I tried it with Daytona USA 2, and noticed something slightly interesting about the dump.
There appear to be textures for Sonic in there! That's how it appears to me at least - what I believe is here is Sonic's brow (and eye), his nose, and what looks like a hand? To me it looks like a Mario-style glove gripping a steering wheel, but perhaps I'm just seeing things there.
Still, I've never noticed anything Sonic related ingame - and the textures seem to be loaded in at all times, alongside the HUD. I'm not sure if there's actually any way to check if these textures are assigned to anything, but it's a mystery I'd like to get to the bottom of sometime and generally just an interesting detail. Of note is that they're in both Battle on the Edge and Power Edition.
Tracker_TD

Re: Sonic textures in Daytona 2?

Postby Bart » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:34 pm

That's a neat discovery! Maybe there's a model of Sonic lurking in the game somewhere. Maybe it was supposed to be a dangling mirror ornament like in Rad Mobile? The model might still be lurking in VROM somewhere.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Tracker_TD » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:05 pm

Bart wrote:That's a neat discovery! Maybe there's a model of Sonic lurking in the game somewhere. Maybe it was supposed to be a dangling mirror ornament like in Rad Mobile? The model might still be lurking in VROM somewhere.

I think my main theory (due to where the textures are placed) is that perhaps Sonic drives the Safety Car or the tow truck. I actually tried messing around in Daytona 2's endurance races earlier to try and get a good look at them, but without a rear view it's nigh impossible due to Auto Drive kicking in whenever they're on the track.

I do hope there's a model in there somewhere - Le Mans 24's Sonic got ripped, so hopefully there'd be a way to do the same here!
Tracker_TD

Postby Bart » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:57 pm

One way it could perhaps be done is writing a program to search through VROM one word at a time looking for that specific texture offset being referenced somewhere.
Bart
Site Admin

Postby JackoHedge » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:52 am

Can it be some kind of bonus car removed from the last product or just a easter egg nobody ever saw ?
Sorry if I speak english like a Belgian cow... ^^,
JackoHedge

Postby Joaquim Gonçalves » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:19 am

That is sonic driving a tiny red car, and some puppy is playable too? :o Os is just some extra textures was used on Scud Race? Make sure Scud Race have too.
Waiting...
Joaquim Gonçalves

Postby Tracker_TD » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:51 pm

Joaquim Gonçalves wrote:That is sonic driving a tiny red car, and some puppy is playable too? :o Os is just some extra textures was used on Scud Race? Make sure Scud Race have too.

I think you're thinking of Le Mans 24, where afaik Sonic is mostly untextured. Anyway, I checked SCUD Race and the Sonic textures don't show up there as far as I can tell.

Also - while poking around some more Daytona 2 texture dumps, found a prototype car select screen!
Tracker_TD

Postby Jiterdomer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:38 am

Oh and BTW, here's an unused texture that was loaded when booting up BOTE:
It's a parody of Universal Studios around Hollywood and Orlando.

I wish Bart and Ian will add an ability dump 2D graphics for each games.
Feel the heartbeat of my machine through this tight seat. I feel every motion of my machine
Jiterdomer

Return to The Catwalk