Virtua Fighter 3 - Official Thread

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

  • No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Favourite character?

Akira
4
24%
Pai/Lau
2
12%
Wolf
0
No votes
Jeffry
0
No votes
Kage
1
6%
Sarah/Jacky
5
29%
Lion
3
18%
Shun
1
6%
Aoi
0
No votes
Taka
1
6%
 
Total votes : 17

Virtua Fighter 3 - Official Thread

Postby Nick1984 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:59 am

Last edited by Nick1984 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:28 am, edited 7 times in total.
Image
User avatar
Nick1984
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:28 am
Location: UK

Re: Virtua Fighter 3 - Official Thread

Postby Nick1984 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:44 am

'Tetsujin' beating 100 players on GamesMaster (British TV show)

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZrXCcNnvI4

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dGOi-nf8ug
Image
User avatar
Nick1984
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:28 am
Location: UK

Re: Virtua Fighter 3 - Official Thread

Postby Trojan X » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:47 am

I guess my tournament videos from the Dreamcast version doesn't count, no?
Trojan X
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:03 am

Re: Virtua Fighter 3 - Official Thread

Postby Nick1984 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:54 am

Trojan X wrote:I guess my tournament videos from the Dreamcast version doesn't count, no?


Different game really, this thread's for the original arcade version.
Image
User avatar
Nick1984
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:28 am
Location: UK

Re: Virtua Fighter 3 - Official Thread

Postby Trojan X » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:35 am

Nick1984 wrote:
Trojan X wrote:I guess my tournament videos from the Dreamcast version doesn't count, no?


Different game really, this thread's for the original arcade version.



Yeah. Such a pity because I had some really great battles using Akira and Lau too. Never mind.

Still anxiously waiting for a perfect VF3 emulation along with millions of people... I'm so excited.
Trojan X
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:03 am

Re: Virtua Fighter 3 - Official Thread

Postby Nick1984 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:54 am

I've seen people do some amazing things with Akira, for me though he's always been the hardest character to play with.
Image
User avatar
Nick1984
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:28 am
Location: UK

Re: Virtua Fighter 3 - Official Thread

Postby karadaniano » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:18 pm

could someone noticed a difference with the arcade version of vf3 currently emulated by supermodel, and the one by all the other dreamcast emulatorS?
i know the the game is in a very preliminar stage, but some stages seems "perfect",

i remember all the people complaining about the vf3 port by genki, but i see it like a very solid game for the dreamcast
User avatar
karadaniano
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:35 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: Virtua Fighter 3 - Official Thread

Postby Trojan X » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:05 am

karadaniano wrote:could someone noticed a difference with the arcade version of vf3 currently emulated by supermodel, and the one by all the other dreamcast emulatorS?
i know the the game is in a very preliminar stage, but some stages seems "perfect",

i remember all the people complaining about the vf3 port by genki, but i see it like a very solid game for the dreamcast


There is indeed a difference. You cannot see it in low recording resolutions, but if you see the game in its native/actual form then you'll notice that the characters in the Model 3 version are rounder and bolder than the Dreamcast version. Also, there more particles and objects shifting in the background on certain stages, and more shaders so every character looks more polishes with better colour depth. Other than those things, the conversation that Genki did was splendid in consideration of the really small development time they had (within a year) to convert the game onto the Dreamcast.

I believe if Genki had more time then they would have been able to push the game further, and find alternative solutions to polygons breaks (you'll notice polygon breaks with Akira and Pai's winning poses). Also, with more time, Genki would have supplied more game options/features so VF3 would have truly receive the home treatment. However the choice is simple, make the Dreamcast launch or release the game over several months later? If you were SEGA, what option would you have chosen?
Trojan X
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:03 am

Re: Virtua Fighter 3 - Official Thread

Postby Trojan X » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:41 pm

Trojan X wrote:
karadaniano wrote:could someone noticed a difference with the arcade version of vf3 currently emulated by supermodel, and the one by all the other dreamcast emulatorS?
i know the the game is in a very preliminar stage, but some stages seems "perfect",

i remember all the people complaining about the vf3 port by genki, but i see it like a very solid game for the dreamcast


There is indeed a difference. You cannot see it in low recording resolutions, but if you see the game in its native/actual form then you'll notice that the characters in the Model 3 version are rounder and bolder than the Dreamcast version. Also, there more particles and objects shifting in the background on certain stages, and more shaders so every character looks more polishes with better colour depth. Other than those things, the conversation that Genki did was splendid in consideration of the really small development time they had (within a year) to convert the game onto the Dreamcast.

I believe if Genki had more time then they would have been able to push the game further, and find alternative solutions to polygons breaks (you'll notice polygon breaks with Akira and Pai's winning poses). Also, with more time, Genki would have supplied more game options/features so VF3 would have truly receive the home treatment. However the choice is simple, make the Dreamcast launch or release the game over several months later? If you were SEGA, what option would you have chosen?


Here's a good example of the pose polygon break on VF3 on the Dreamcast (actually, its more of a deform rather than a break) due to the reduction of polygons. You'll see the issue with Akira's winning pose at the end of the fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIldPBCkxIA

From looking at the video, you'll notice that the upper/shoulder section of Akira's raised left arm become deformed due the limited number of polygon, and the split positioning of each polygon. If there were more polygons there or the split/joining of each polygon was worked in consideration of that pose, then the deformity would have been reduced or not existed. However, sacrifices had to be made to keep the speed at 60fps and release the game on time. All things considering, I believe Genki did a brilliant job in delivering the first true 1st Generation game for the Dreamcast and within a short time-frame.
Trojan X
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:03 am

Re: Virtua Fighter 3 - Official Thread

Postby Nick1984 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:02 am

Nice vid Trojan, have you played Fighting Vipers on Model 2?
Image
User avatar
Nick1984
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:28 am
Location: UK

Next

Return to The Catwalk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bart, Google [Bot] and 6 guests