MASTERS OF DRIVING

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Re: MASTERS OF DRIVING

Postby MichaelMichael54321 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:30 am

Shekel wrote:Ah, Lakeside. You don't need to be good at that because fortunately, it doesn't include that in your championship time, which is great.

Now that I think about it, you are right...it's been a while since I've played the original.

Shekel wrote:Nice run on Scud Race. I never understood or liked the game enough to stick with it but still enjoy watching it from time to time.

Thank you. We all have our preferences.
MichaelMichael54321 wrote:"You haven't seen SEGA's arcade success like this...Sega Model 3"

My gaming rig specs, courtesy of CPU-Z:
http://valid.x86.fr/i35lsi
MichaelMichael54321

Postby MichaelMichael54321 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:15 pm

Now for some Battle on the Edge runs!
All done with Phantom Full Force, manual transmission.

Beginner

Advanced

Expert
MichaelMichael54321 wrote:"You haven't seen SEGA's arcade success like this...Sega Model 3"

MichaelMichael54321

Postby Shekel » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:21 am

Sorry, posting another Sega Rally time :)

I thought if I'm going to improve on my 3:20, I'm going to have to use the wall hit turn on both Forest (once) and Mountain (three times). I was expecting something faster once I got the hang of it, but it's an improvement, none the less.

Shekel

Postby Shekel » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:22 am

You'll be glad to hear this will be the last SR time I post for a while. Really wanted a 3:18 this week and I made a lot of progress but kept crossing the line with 3:19s so much I didn't even save them, just reset the game over and over until it was done. I'm not going to be able to get Marubaku times because the AI cars aren't in the same place as the arcade version and that means I can't bump them. But this is good enough for me.

Shekel

Postby MichaelMichael54321 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:52 pm

Shekel wrote:I'm not going to be able to get Marubaku times because the AI cars aren't in the same place as the arcade version and that means I can't bump them. But this is good enough for me.

Wait, what, Marubaku times? Was that the goal..? Do you even have a goal?

Again, it seems like you got an improved time from your last screenshot, so congrats...
Sorry if that was not the response you were expecting.

MichaelMichael54321

Postby Shekel » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:23 pm

MichaelMichael54321 wrote:Wait, what, Marubaku times? Was that the goal..? Do you even have a goal?

Again, it seems like you got an improved time from your last screenshot, so congrats...

I wasn't really expecting any kind of response, no one plays it here :)

It could've worded it to say I personally can't drastically improve unless those other tricks were available. The goals was just to improve where I knew it was possible and then do a clean run of it. If anyone was wondering, this is the exactly style I copy. He's a bit faster, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR0e7K6zg4w

I've seen even faster than this with just basic shifts on the trickier corners but I somehow can't replicate the times with that method so that's why I moved to wall bounces.. Anyway, it's still an interesting game. Where every centisecond counts.
Shekel

Postby MrThunderwing » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:26 pm

Shekel wrote:I wasn't really expecting any kind of response, no one plays it here :)

Hey dude, I play it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FX6nGP ... 7yADDjCWPp

Don't be expecting no Marubaku times here though...
MrThunderwing

Postby Shekel » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:02 pm

That's crazy :) Why do networked games stutter so much?

Also didn't know there was a map on screen. Not that you need it, but I hadn't seen a map anywhere before.
Shekel

Postby Trojan X » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:19 pm

Shekel wrote:
MichaelMichael54321 wrote:Wait, what, Marubaku times? Was that the goal..? Do you even have a goal?

I wasn't really expecting any kind of response, no one plays it here :)

It could've worded it to say I personally can't drastically improve unless those other tricks were available. The goals was just to improve where I knew it was possible and then do a clean run of it. If anyone was wondering, this is the exactly style I copy. He's a bit faster, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR0e7K6zg4w

I've seen even faster than this with just basic shifts on the trickier corners but I somehow can't replicate the times with that method so that's why I moved to wall bounces.. Anyway, it's still an interesting game. Where every centisecond counts.

I would play it if people are doing time challenges again. Once I have time available then I'll join the fold for I love Sega Rally.

Man, this is why I loved SEGA racing games so much back in the 90s. The mechanics in these games are so beautiful: the easy and in-depth learning curve allow you to focus on precision driving which inadvertently results in the player performing some insane skills. This allows you to challenge each course, that are also marvellously well-designed, to the millisecond whilst providing you plenty of fun! With cars, without cars, those development studios knew exactly what gets a player going and it shows a plenty in Sega Rally 1 and 2, Daytona 1 and 2, Manx TT, Touring Cars, Virtua Racing, and more. Look at Daytona USA, I said it before but that game really is the Tetris of driving games. Man, those Model 1, 2 and 3 games provided that experience above and beyond the call of order that left their competitor titles struggling. Look at this, SEGA RALLY. Heck, beating your time to a tenth of a second feels like a wonderful achievement on that game and the learning curve is so good that it makes everyone believe that they have the potential to be "that good" at the game. I never ever - or should I say "rarely" - got this type of feeling from any other arcade/semi/sim level racers. Look at Ridge Racer, the game makes me just focus on coming 1st place. It never gave me any intention to shave that extra millisecond off. Yes, now and again, you do feel satisfied when you beat your time by the seconds but it's a whole difference experience and feeling doing some insane Initial-d level driving and talking about fractions of seconds instead. It's beautiful.
Trojan X

Postby Shekel » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:37 pm

I agree with everything you said about Sega Rally and the comparison to Ridge Racer, Trojan X.

Ridge Racer is still a really cool game and used to think it was better at the time but I must have been swayed by the visuals and music because the gameplay and longevity for both games are really worlds apart.

A great fact I just learned from reading an issue of Retro Gamer (and it's actually on Wikipedia but I missed it) is that director and graphic designer Kenji Sasaki is responsible for Ridge Racer AND also Sega Rally 1 and 2. What a legend.
Shekel

PreviousNext

Return to The Catwalk