MASTERS OF DRIVING

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Re: MASTERS OF DRIVING

Postby MrThunderwing » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:01 am

Bart wrote:

It's fun to see the progress in Supermodel side-by-side, isn't it? Does anyone here remember screenshots of Supermodel from ca. 2003? This page is still up after all these years but I can't remember the URL for the old WIP page at System16.com (and I think it was pulled a long time ago).

The code for this old version of Supermodel is still available at Sourceforge. Maybe I'll build it one day and "release" it just for fun.

I can remember when I very first got into emulation, about 8-9 years ago, hearing rumours about a supposed Model 3 emulator (similar to Model 2 Emulator) called Supermodel that existed, but I could never find any actual screenshots or proof of it's existence. It was pretty much all just conjecture on Internet forums.

Here's the oldest Supermodel video I've ever made, which I think was literally right after V0.1 came out, running on my long since dead Pentium 4.

Scud Race
MrThunderwing

Postby ConversusVans » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:08 am

Onto driving games, I recently picked up the Dreamcast version of SEGA Rally 2 in a game store. Played it for a bit last Sunday (busy with college), and while I like the increased framerate cheat, it slows down in some areas. Still, the game is a whole lot better than nothing. The 10-year championship mode is cool, making the game last longer. Ports like this make me imagine what Harley-Davidson LA Riders would've looked like in the DC (if only Sega still had the licensing!).
- Conversus W. Vans (Paul)
ConversusVans

Postby Trojan X » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:00 pm

ConversusVans wrote:Onto driving games, I recently picked up the Dreamcast version of SEGA Rally 2 in a game store. Played it for a bit last Sunday (busy with college), and while I like the increased framerate cheat, it slows down in some areas. Still, the game is a whole lot better than nothing. The 10-year championship mode is cool, making the game last longer. Ports like this make me imagine what Harley-Davidson LA Riders would've looked like in the DC (if only Sega still had the licensing!).

The 10 Years Championship mode in the Dreamcast version of Sega Rally 2 makes the game far superior to the original model 3 Arcade version. I wished so much for the Arcade version to be updated to the feature the full 10 Years Championship mode for the arcade. The simple to understand tire options (that makes a huge difference), amazing new tracks, awesome new songs, perfect reasons to update the Arcade and include the Driving License card just like Initial D and Wangan Midnight Challenge arcade machines, and other titles:

Trojan X

Postby MrThunderwing » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:13 am

Give the PC version a try, it's significantly better looking than the Dreamcast and lets you select 60 fps as a standard option rather than a cheat that's a bit unstable (and doesn't result in a loss of trackside detail).
MrThunderwing

Postby terminento » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:44 am

MrThunderwing wrote:
terminento wrote: Come to think of it, I havn't used my Logitech Driving Force GT wheel either because I didn't know what the names of the inputs were.

I've also got a DFGT and can confirm it works really well with Supermodel - the FFB is awesome. Rather than manually changing the config file yourself, let Supermodel do the hard work for you in finding out the names of the accelerator and brake axis and automatically assigning them correctly. Create a batch file using the command

Code: Select all
supermodel -config-inputs -input-system=dinput

and you should get a screen like the one in the attachment I'll add. Keep the supermodel application window in focus with the command window behind it so you can see the text that pops up in it, scroll down using the arrow keys until you get to the section related to the accelerate and brake pedals. Just hit enter on each one and then press the relevant pedal to assign it. I would suggest calibrating each axis as well, so that Supermodel picks up the full range of movement across it. To do this just press 'b' and follow the on-screen prompts.

For people wanting to do this with Xbox pads change the dinput command to xinput

Also, not quite such excellent driving from me, but this is the closest I've come so far to a podium in Sega Rally 2.

Sega Rally 2 - Supermodel SVN 520 (and comparison)

Thanks a lot, Thunderwing! You should copy paste this explanation on a separate post so that it gets pinned, it's incredibly useful!
terminento

Postby MichaelMichael54321 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:39 pm

Another Daytona USA 2 PE run, this time on the Challenge/Mix track.

I am pretty satisfied with the result, despite watching over the footage that I could optimize some sections.

Another Challenge/Mix run, this time, with the Scorpio Plasma, is planned to test the record of this run.
MichaelMichael54321 wrote:"You haven't seen SEGA's arcade success like this...Sega Model 3"

My gaming rig specs, courtesy of CPU-Z:
http://valid.x86.fr/i35lsi
MichaelMichael54321

Postby MichaelMichael54321 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:23 pm

MichaelMichael54321 wrote:"You haven't seen SEGA's arcade success like this...Sega Model 3"

MichaelMichael54321

Postby Trojan X » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:40 pm

MichaelMichael54321 wrote:Uploaded two PE runs:

Advanced (Reverse)

Beginner (Reverse)

Your screen is stretched. Do you play like this or did you stretched the videos in your timeline? If you stretched the videos then perhaps you should use this technique, the same one I used for Scud Race (funny, since I did this, tons of people online followed suit): https://youtu.be/PkVRr0rA088?t=832
Trojan X

Postby MichaelMichael54321 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:28 am

Trojan X wrote:Your screen is stretched. Do you play like this or did you stretched the videos in your timeline? If you stretched the videos then perhaps you should use this technique, the same one I used for Scud Race (funny, since I did this, tons of people online followed suit): https://youtu.be/PkVRr0rA088?t=832

I play like this...

...I don't know what you mean by "stretched the videos in your timeline".

MichaelMichael54321

Postby Trojan X » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:36 am

MichaelMichael54321 wrote:
Trojan X wrote:Your screen is stretched. Do you play like this or did you stretched the videos in your timeline? If you stretched the videos then perhaps you should use this technique, the same one I used for Scud Race (funny, since I did this, tons of people online followed suit): https://youtu.be/PkVRr0rA088?t=832

I play like this...

...I don't know what you mean by "stretched the videos in your timeline".

If you play like that then that means your screen accuracy is wrong. You are playing a 4:3 image stretched to 16:9 hence why the image looks stretched. Perhaps you should activate the "Widescreen" setting in your *.bat or *.ini file so you can play in a true 16:9 aspect ratio? It's up to you but playing in a true ratio would improve your experience.
Trojan X

PreviousNext

Return to The Catwalk