MASTERS OF DRIVING

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Re: MASTERS OF DRIVING

Postby MrThunderwing » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:29 am

Hey, hey, hey, what's THIS? Looks suspiciously like a sad attempt by me to generate a few more views for an old video of mine that's got nothing to do with driving, unless you count me driving a robotic T-Rex as driving?

And as I'm using a (very) thinly veiled ploy to try and generate a few more views for old videos of mine that didn't generate many views the first time I might as well leave THIS and THIS here as well... :mrgreen:
MrThunderwing

Postby MichaelMichael54321 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:43 pm

Well, I recently picked up on racing again and I am pleased with the result of my abilities not withering away while I was playing other games like Minecraft, Gmod, .etc.

Today, I played (and compressed, and uploaded to Youtube) both Power Edition and Scud Race with settings that I struggle the most from each game. Both 3D render engines are used for convenience.

First, Daytona USA 2: Power Edtion, done with the Expert Phantom Full Force car, manual transmission
https://youtu.be/8zKRvGJXSFc

Last, SEGA Super GT with the Dodge Viper :oops:
https://youtu.be/p8Y5Epe8wlw

I hope to be of fine racing polishment.
MichaelMichael54321 wrote:"You haven't seen SEGA's arcade success like this...Sega Model 3"

My gaming rig specs, courtesy of CPU-Z:
http://valid.x86.fr/i35lsi
MichaelMichael54321

Postby MichaelMichael54321 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:32 am

MrThunderwing wrote:Nice driving, Mikey!

Cheers for the kind words, I really appericate it.
MichaelMichael54321 wrote:"You haven't seen SEGA's arcade success like this...Sega Model 3"

MichaelMichael54321

Postby Bart » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:29 pm

Excellent driving! I love watching videos people make with Supermodel :)
Bart
Site Admin

Postby Trojan X » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:00 am

terminento wrote:
Trojan X wrote:I gave some tips about Scud Race some time ago. I hope it helps: https://youtu.be/PkVRr0rA088?t=741

Oh! I see. Then I might have to use my wheel or an xinput controller, because I was playing it with a logitech rumblepad2 controller, and had the accel and brake mapped to the face buttons as in a PSX racing game. I wonder if tapping quickly on the accelerator will still work, because otherwise this game can't be played if not using fully analog controls.

Very quickly tapping can work if you are using a car such as the Porche. However, to get those super fast times you need full analogue controls. I was playing the game with the XBox Pad. It's much harder than the wheel but awesome times are indeed possible. Get hold of that pad, my friend, it's the number 1 pad for driving games.

MichaelMichael54321 wrote:Well, I recently picked up on racing again and I am pleased with the result of my abilities not withering away while I was playing other games like Minecraft, Gmod, .etc.

Today, I played (and compressed, and uploaded to Youtube) both Power Edition and Scud Race with settings that I struggle the most from each game. Both 3D render engines are used for convenience.

First, Daytona USA 2: Power Edtion, done with the Expert Phantom Full Force car, manual transmission
https://youtu.be/8zKRvGJXSFc

Last, SEGA Super GT with the Dodge Viper :oops:
https://youtu.be/p8Y5Epe8wlw

I hope to be of fine racing polishment.

Yeah, I salute those videos. Good job!
Trojan X

Postby terminento » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:14 am

Trojan X wrote:Very quickly tapping can work if you are using a car such as the Porche. However, to get those super fast times you need full analogue controls. I was playing the game with the XBox Pad. It's much harder than the wheel but awesome times are indeed possible. Get hold of that pad, my friend, it's the number 1 pad for driving games.

I hadn't thought about that... Can X-input controls and direct input ones coexist in the .ini file? If so, I could add the xbox controlelr inputs and give scud Race a try using the analog triggers. (Also, what the hell are the names for x-input... inputs?)

Come to think of it, I havn't used my Logitech Driving Force GT wheel either because I didn't know what the names of the inputs were. It would be great if we had a chart with the names for each button and input for a series of devices.

Lastly, one of the reasons I've been using my Logitech pad instead of the X-box one, x-input shenanigans aside, is that, while the first ones manufactured were of indisputable quality, the latest xbox wired controllers seem to have been manufactured by a handicapped chimpancee on drugs, because quality control has dropped to the floor, and the analog sticks have horrible deadzones, making it very hard to fine tune your steering while driving.

Buuuuut I do have a Razer pad that's basically an xbox controller with no rumble and excellent stick sensitivity, so...
terminento

Postby MrThunderwing » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:21 am

terminento wrote: Come to think of it, I havn't used my Logitech Driving Force GT wheel either because I didn't know what the names of the inputs were.

I've also got a DFGT and can confirm it works really well with Supermodel - the FFB is awesome. Rather than manually changing the config file yourself, let Supermodel do the hard work for you in finding out the names of the accelerator and brake axis and automatically assigning them correctly. Create a batch file using the command

Code: Select all
supermodel -config-inputs -input-system=dinput

and you should get a screen like the one in the attachment I'll add. Keep the supermodel application window in focus with the command window behind it so you can see the text that pops up in it, scroll down using the arrow keys until you get to the section related to the accelerate and brake pedals. Just hit enter on each one and then press the relevant pedal to assign it. I would suggest calibrating each axis as well, so that Supermodel picks up the full range of movement across it. To do this just press 'b' and follow the on-screen prompts.

For people wanting to do this with Xbox pads change the dinput command to xinput

Also, not quite such excellent driving from me, but this is the closest I've come so far to a podium in Sega Rally 2.

Sega Rally 2 - Supermodel SVN 520 (and comparison)
Attachments
config.JPG
config.JPG (95.02 KiB) Viewed 4090 times
MrThunderwing

Postby MichaelMichael54321 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:47 pm

Bart wrote:Excellent driving! I love watching videos people make with Supermodel :)

Trojan X wrote:Yeah, I salute those videos. Good job!

Thanks for the generosity, it really helps build my confidence.

MrThunderwing wrote:Also, not quite such excellent driving from me, but this is the closest I've come so far to a podium in Sega Rally 2.

Well, there were times I struggled too, especially with that one hairpin turn in the Mountain track that somehow determines my (place) advantage going into Snowy, as I will likely not have enough speed to catch like the highest possible place (6th) as I would still have to trek a hard left turn towards the end.

Then, in the Snowy stage, it's usually the one hard left turn (right after the only checkpoint) that usually ends my chances of getting a good record because I will end up grinding against the wall, hence losing speed. And of course, the hairpin turn that is so damn hard to optimize speed.

In the Rivera stage, again with the hairpin turn optimizing, so repeat that twice for 2 laps for a frustrating 4 times.

Other than those notes I keep tacked in my head, I'm home free.

Also, I have just now did some gameplay on Sega Rally 2, maybe I'll have even more of a difficult time trying to crack the records...
https://youtu.be/ft60NOQ3If8

MichaelMichael54321

Postby Bart » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:16 am

It's fun to see the progress in Supermodel side-by-side, isn't it? Does anyone here remember screenshots of Supermodel from ca. 2003? This page is still up after all these years but I can't remember the URL for the old WIP page at System16.com (and I think it was pulled a long time ago).

The code for this old version of Supermodel is still available at Sourceforge. Maybe I'll build it one day and "release" it just for fun.
Bart
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Catwalk