How do you get FFB working in Le Mans again...?

Discuss Supermodel and your favorite Model 3 games. Show off your latest threads, this is the place to see and be seen.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!
  • No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!
Mrthunderwing

How do you get FFB working in Le Mans again...?

Post by Mrthunderwing »

Hi all - in the old forum Spindizzi had put some instructions on how to get force feedback working in Le Mans 24, by swapping out a ROM from Scud Race "epr-19338a.bin" and altering the Supermodel XML file. I've still got an old version of Supermodel I altered to do this, but I don't know what I need to do to the XML file to get it working again in the latest versions of Supermodel. Spindizzi added some notes to the XML file about it, but I can't actually figure out what I'm supposed to change or be doing (and I've tried copying and replacing the Le Mans info from the XML file from my old working version of it with FFB, but then the game won't load). did anyone either make a copy of the information or knows what to do? Thanks in advance.

Code: Select all

<!-- Spindizzi notes : original Driveboard from model2 hardware -->
      <!-- Not working ATM - Commands don't correspond -->
      <region name="driveboard_program" stride="1" chunk_size="1" required="false">
        <file offset="0" name="epr-18261.ic9" crc32="0x0C7FAC58" />
      <!-- Driveboard program from scud - Can be a replacement from original model2 z80 program -->
      <!-- I think Model3 driveboard hardware acts exactly like Model2 driveboard hardware (same irq, same memory mapping, same commands etc...)  -->
      <!-- This is why we can exchange micro program (rom) in Supermodel to have ffb in lemans24 -->
      <!-- Simply comment and uncomment - for test purpose only -->
      <!--
        <file offset="0" name="epr-19338a.bin" crc32="0xC9FAC464" /
Bart
Site Admin

Re: How do you get FFB working in Le Mans again...?

Post by Bart »

Find those two ROM files. Sounds like one or the other will work. Make sure it is the only ROM file listed under the drive board section in the XML file and then put it in your lemans24.zip. That's what the instructions seem to be saying. I *think* it's the second file since it is commented out and he mentions uncommenting that bit.
Mrthunderwing

Post by Mrthunderwing »

Hey Bart! Someone on the BYOAC forum explained it to me (which I think is the same as what you've said) and I've got it working again now.

In the GAMES.XML file on line 1097, default looks like this:

<file offset="0" name="epr-18261.bin" crc32="0x0C7FAC58" />

below that are some notes containing the bin code you're meant to use for FFB, so change line 1097 to this;

<file offset="0" name="epr-19338a.bin" crc32="0xC9FAC464" />

I'd already copied the epr-19338a.bin into my copy of Le Mans from the original first FFB supported version, I just wasn't sure what I needed to do with the XML shiz.

(Thanks to scoodidabop over there!)
Mrthunderwing

Post by Mrthunderwing »

Shameless plug:
The reason I was interested in getting this working again is because I've just made a Le Mans 24 - Retro Review for my YouTube Channel. If you're a fan of the game, please do consider checking it out!
https://youtu.be/9GndJhqAC2E?si=6nqtj-juur655-rc

Also, check out this little POV view with racing wheel and force feedback video I've uploaded to Twitter. I'm experimenting with a new USB camera I can clip on to my glasses.