Down sample to 496x384

Technical discussion for those interested in Supermodel development and Model 3 reverse engineering. Prospective contributors welcome. Not for end-user support.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!
  • No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!
Bart
Site Admin

Down sample to 496x384

Post by Bart »

How difficult would it be to render at a higher resolution and then downsample to 496x384? This should create a smoother looking output, potentially even more "authentic" looking at the original resolution. 2D elements should be rendered at 496x384. Not sure how compositing would work in this case.

The use case was suggested by John Linneman from DF Retro.
downsample.jpg
downsample.jpg (235.05 KiB) Viewed 10932 times
Ian

Re: Down sample to 496x384

Post by Ian »

Since I changed the renderer design a bit this is quite easy to do
I honestly don't think it improves the render quality that much (I tried it). For me the issue is the texture aliasing, which is quite jarring on the model 3

Look at the wall as he drives up to it

https://youtu.be/nrAyVo3jeWg&t=147

These sort of artifacts get quite distracting really and I think super sampling sort of makes it worse.
Ian

Re: Down sample to 496x384

Post by Ian »

I realised when I wrote my super sampling code that I simply used a linear filter when downsizing lol, which means it essentially creates aliasing artifacts. Basically I should have mipmapped the image.

Probably easiest to do in a shader this way we could even do crazy things like 3x super sampling which 1 pixel would be an average of 9.