Network code

Technical discussion for those interested in Supermodel development and Model 3 reverse engineering. Prospective contributors welcome.
Forum rules
Keep it classy!

• No ROM requests or links.
  • Do not ask to be a play tester.
  • Do not ask about release dates.
  • No drama!

Re: Network code

Postby Ian » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:50 am

Which is lagging? The server pc or the clients?
Could be some of the network data needs to be skipped to keep them in sync
Ian

Postby Boomslangnz » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:02 am

im not really sure if one or the other is lagging, just the sync isnt perfect from each perspective really

One thing that m2 emulator did was they added an option to have Framesync=1 in the network.ini file so you could either have the network wait for each frame or without. Dunno if thats something you guys would consider too?
Boomslangnz

Postby MrThunderwing » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:32 pm

Amazing work Spindizzi. I've been on holiday for the last 10 days, but I heard about your success getting Scud Race and Daytona USA 2 running through YouTube notifications I was getting on my phone and have been itching to give the new network build a try once I got home (which, quite frankly is actually a miracle, the getting home bit, considering the entire UK has pretty much ground to a halt due to the insane weather we're experiencing).
MrThunderwing

Postby Ian » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:40 am

The split screen like that is very cool.
Dirt devils had a bug in split screen like that, which lead me to rewrite the projection frustum code and finally figure out what the hardware was doing with some of the previously unknown viewport values.

But then I was like, is there supposed to be a gap in the displays like that? Then I remembered the displays have quite a fat border around them >_<
Ian

Postby Boomslangnz » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:51 pm

Anything going on with getting multi threading happening with network?

I've checked this page every day for about 7 weeks straight now lol
Boomslangnz

Postby Ian » Wed May 02, 2018 12:56 pm

I haven't done any work on this. I think it's on Bart's to do list somewhere, but he is a pretty busy guy these days. I did spend quite a lot of time looking at the timing problem in supermodel, with a little success, but not enough to fully solve the problem. Timing I think would help with some of the network related issues
Ian

Previous

Return to The Dark Room